• Please log in to reply
4732 replies to this topic

#1 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:55 AM

Hopefully one day this thread will have as many as my Beckham does...

in any case, I saw this...

the part of the article that interested me the most was this...

Billy Beane continues to dabble in the soccer world. The Oakland A's general manager, renowned for his "Moneyball" philosophy, appears set to play a role in the San Jose Earthquakes when the franchise, owned by A's president Lew Wolff, enters MLS next year.

And just to show he is keeping up to date with the major issues in the game, Beane has been named on the panel for a major conference, "The Future of Football" in London next month.

Beane will join Cleveland Browns and Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner and former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein for the event.

Knowing the some I do about MLB, Beane has done wonders for some of the small market teams in the league. He has shown that you can have a decent side that can compete while not beholden to extremely large salarys. Teams all over the league, including the Dodgers, have mimiced his approach.

Part of me wonders if Beane will have any success at teaching this same method to teams across the US and Europe.

Perhaps Tim Liewikie could take a meeting and learn a thing or two. That might just help out the two sports franchises he fucks up on a day to day basis.
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#2 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

Jaime Moreno to Qatar... whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

other stuff in there too...
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#3 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

Nice find...Hey I can't blame Moreno for wanting a big payday at last, but I can't see Gomez benefitting.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#4 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

KC to move stadiums...

it's like AYSO all over again!!!

The club has signed a two-year deal to play at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, home of the T-Bones minor league baseball team, in 2008 and 2009 and by 2010, they are hoping to have a home of their own.

can anyone say cheese grater?

#5 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

T-Bone?

Posted Image

No, no T-Bone.

Koko the Monkey.

#6 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

4,000 people in an 18,000 seat stadium is still going to look empty.

Toronto's poor first season in MLS has done absolutely nothing to dampen the enthusiasm of its fans.

The club announced on Monday that season tickets for 2008 have already sold out, despite the club raising the number available from 14,000 to 16,000.

That's impressive.

#7 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

Home of the Wizards, for now

Pretty interesting. It is in the middle of nowhere, which means there's plenty of room to build.

Only about 5,800 seats. Wonder what they'll do when the Beckham circus arrives? they might actually have a sell out or two.

#8 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

Home of the Wizards, for now

Pretty interesting. It is in the middle of nowhere, which means there's plenty of room to build.

Only about 5,800 seats. Wonder what they'll do when the Beckham circus arrives? they might actually have a sell out or two.

Good point.

This happen once a year or so at the Charleston Battery's 4,000 seat stadium when they play an MLS team in the USOC.

It creates a buzz of people trying to get tickets.

If I were them - I'd try to sell all 5,800 seats as season tickets. No walk ups, no single games, no packages. Make people beg for tickets for two years before opening up the 18,000 seat stadium.

#9 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

Osorio going back to Cali?

This guy in Chicago said no on 31 Oct.

But this guy said rumors were swirling in the press box in NE the other day.

A rumor bouncing around Gillette Stadium at Thursday night’s Revs-Fire match was that Osorio, who arrived in Chicago midseason and brilliantly orchestrated the team’s turnaround from cellar-dwellers to a hot-ticket circus, was about to skip town. It seems his “dream job” -- head coach of Deportivo Cali -- is available in his native Colombia. What a shame it would be for Chicago and MLS to lose a sophisticated, passionate, knowledgeable coach. Watching him stalking the sidelines, I saw a man who clearly enjoys this game and grasps all the subtleties and nuances involved in it. Although, I still can’t figure out why he left Wanchope in for 90 minutes.

#10 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

Drew Carey to own part of the Seattle Team

Can we talk to his CPA about funding a trip for the squad as part of a business expense? No really, Jamesey and Red you should get working on this scheme. Tommy can be the pitch guy. Gunner, book the planes. Road Trip '09: The Year of the BOOZE PLANE!

oh yeah and there is a little blurb in their about fans electing the GM as part of the deal...

#11 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

AEG bought out of the NY Stadium

story

interesting story from the Comish's press conference...perhaps deserving it's own thread....

this smells of AEG....

Las Vegas. This fast-growing city is looking to burst onto the professional sports scene. The concept there is to have an indoor soccer stadium that would be used as a multi-used entertainment venue. Officials from MLS are encouraged there is support from both the private and public sector in Las Vegas for such a facility.

perhaps we could stop by McDoowells...Posted Image....

New York. MLS has long sought having a second team in New York. The league looks at the success it has had with Chivas USA and the Galaxy in the Los Angeles area and believes two New York teams in separate stadiums would fly in the nation's largest market. Discussions have taken place with the Wilpon family and the New York Mets. The proposed facility would be based in Queens near Shea Stadium and have multi-use, year-round opportunities.

#12 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

AEG bought out of the NY Stadium

story
interesting story from the Comish's press conference...perhaps deserving it's own thread....
this smells of AEG....
perhaps we could stop by McDoowells...Posted Image....

that bit about chivas success makes you grit their teeth. they can't be that naive can they? anyway, i'd personally love to see a team in montreal and move chivas usa to st. louis.

lastly, rumor that mls cup '08 is between RSL, CHI, or the HDC... let's go HDC

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#13 We Own You

We Own You

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:37 PM

Summed up for those who didn't listen/watch the press conference:

1) St. Louis and Philly are the front runners to getting the new MLS team. Both are missing one final key component. By the end of the year we shall see who gets the team (possibly both, possibly niether).

2) There are A LOT of cities that have interest in an MLS team, enough interest to have some plan laid out already.

3) Cities Mentioned in the press conference were: Las Vegas, Portland, Atlanta and a 2nd team for New York.

4) No 2nd DP. Landon's situation was brought up (seemed like the reported wanted him off our squad asap). "Landon's situation" is currently being discussed by The Galaxy and the MLS, within the next few weeks something HAS to be resolved. Though, next year the Salary cap will be raise next year, details weren't announced. *****Announced ****http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/11/16/galaxy.donovan/****

5) Pan-Pacific cup is in the talks. Along with other regional tourneys. No formats were announced.

6) Field Turf, deal with it, it's here to stay.

7) FIFA wants division one leagues to be cut off at 18. So 18 might be our cut off aswell.

#14 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:55 AM

3) Cities Mentioned in the press conference were: Las Vegas, Portland, Atlanta and a 2nd team for New York.

You forgot Miami at an Orange Bowl site location, which is "closer to our fanbase or potential fanbase" than Ft. Lauderdale. Read: the Haitian/Cuban/Jamaican "inner city" population rather than rich, suburban soccer mom types who won't leave the A/C in S. Florida summers.

#15 We Own You

We Own You

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

Ya i did forget, i meant to give Miami their own number, they seemed so touchy about Miami. Ha.

Also, over 5,000 season tickets have been sold for Seattle's club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users