27 replies to this topic

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
I think it's no coincidence that the other "red bull style" team in st Louis, bombed out in the first round, just like us.

This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The Knicks and Rangers play in MSG! There are so many corporate seats, and seats sold to travelers that those clubs could trot out teams of U14 kids and there will be 18k in attendance. You cant compare it to the demand for an MLS ticket. People will go to YS to watch the Yankees, but not necessarily NYCFC. You can better compare the Red Bulls to the Devils and Islanders. When those teams are poor attendance drops. Not sure if the Devils ever have solid attendance.

Are you saying that no one cares about the knicks? Not only are they the biggest team in NYC.  they are one of the biggest sports teams in the United States. A lot of ex New Yorkers go watch them when they play away. Do you really think the knicks lack brand loyalty? 

The knicks like the giants, jets, yankees and mets have a brand loyalty. they could put a crap team and people will still watch.

Does RBNY and NYCFC have brand loyalty? no.  Do people in the tristate area really care about the Devils, Nets or Islanders? No.

In a way, many soccer fans in the tri state area are like Knick fans in other US cities. they will pay money to watch them but wont support the local club. I know families who pay roughly 20 bucks a month to watch Deportivo de La Coruna. They are not in first division or second division in Spanish Soccer but they are a team struggling in 2B. Why? Because that is the team they bonded with when they were kids or with their family. there is a connection there of good memories. its cultural.  But would not travel to red bull area or the bronx

the NYC MLS teams still have a long way to go when it comes to investing in activities that create brand loyalty in the local community. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Are you saying that no one cares about the knicks? Not only are they the biggest team in NYC.  they are one of the biggest sports teams in the United States. A lot of ex New Yorkers go watch them when they play away. Do you really think the knicks lack brand loyalty? 

The knicks like the giants, jets, yankees and mets have a brand loyalty. they could put a crap team and people will still watch.

Does RBNY and NYCFC have brand loyalty? no.  Do people in the tristate area really care about the Devils, Nets or Islanders? No.

In a way, many soccer fans in the tri state area are like Knick fans in other US cities. they will pay money to watch them but wont support the local club. I know families who pay roughly 20 bucks a month to watch Deportivo de La Coruna. They are not in first division or second division in Spanish Soccer but they are a team struggling in 2B. Why? Because that is the team they bonded with when they were kids or with their family. there is a connection there of good memories. its cultural.  But would not travel to red bull area or the bronx

the NYC MLS teams still have a long way to go when it comes to investing in activities that create brand loyalty in the local community. 

Agree tough one to build this

Curious for these people do they watch other soccer teams?
Like they watch Deportivo de La Coruna and champions league and international etc which then takes up all their soccer watching space?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Devils attendance has been so much better since moving to Newark because you use to be only able to drive to games at the Meadowlands.

Also their attendance has been solid even with the team being basically horrible for an entire decade before last season.

I'm a season ticket holder there as well so I'm at every game, this and last season have had tons of sell outs and packed crowds. Been much better attendance than our Red Bulls.

You know better than I as a season ticket holder, but spot on. The Devils having no fans and terrible attendance is definitely way outdated. Combo of getting out of the Meadowlands and the kids who grew up with the championship teams now having the means to purchase season tickets or attend frequently at the very least.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,120 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

You know better than I as a season ticket holder, but spot on. The Devils having no fans and terrible attendance is definitely way outdated. Combo of getting out of the Meadowlands and the kids who grew up with the championship teams now having the means to purchase season tickets or attend frequently at the very least.

It really is an outdated thing. The Devils had more people at their regular season game vs Washington than we did vs Charlotte for our playoff game. I always choose playoff games over regular season so I was at the Red Bulls game but having both teams play at the same time is always a dumb decision to me.

The other thing the Devils have going for them that is an elephant in the room for the Red Bulls is that the Devils are proudly New Jersey's only team that promotes themselves as such,it's even on the 3rd jerseys. Gotham,Giants and Jets all ignore it

It's something that I do think hurts the Red Bulls becuase I know Devils fans who won't support the team becuase of the NY name more so than anything else. It's why I always thought they should have left the NY/NJ in there or done Metro or something of that nature that includes the whole area.

The other funny thing is when hearing about the Mets or Yankees in terms of brand loyalty is that most of the fans for both teams only have good attendance when the teams are good. You can look at many years when the team sucks and the ballparks aren't even remotely full.

MSG is a different beast because it's actually a tourist destination that's easily accessible vs a tourist not wanting to go out to the Bronx or Queens. That's the main reason the Knicks and Rangers have good attendance even if they suck more than anything else.

Until the Red Bulls sign a legit superstar player or they do a major rebrand that's successful the attendance is going to remain what it is. It's unfortunate because in terms of money I think the season tickets are the best deal in sports in this area. My Red Bulls season tickets for 2 seats for the entire year don't even equal the cost of 1 seat at the Devils. Obviously the Devils have more games but even with that the price still isn't even remotely close and the Devils are sure never giving me free playoff tickets, leagues cup tickets and free road game tickets.

We all know the MLS isn't a top league in the world but it's come so far as it is and it's only going to get better and better. If the money is there players are going to much rather come and play here than a vast majority of the other countries out there that aren't the top few big leagues.

It just takes time. 96 isn't even 30 years ago yet. All these other teams and leagues in our country have a long history. It takes our current fans having kids who then go to the games with their parents and get hooked on the game and team. We will eventually have those generational fans, hell you can see it a lot of games lately with how many kids are in the stands.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

No. My point about MSG is that even in bad times they will sell out. Their loyal fans are supplemented by all the corporate money. The Knicks at MSG are an event. In good times tix just become that much more sought out. Hence my point that they can trot out weak teams and still sell out. Red Bulls cannot.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

No. My point about MSG is that even in bad times they will sell out. Their loyal fans are supplemented by all the corporate money. The Knicks at MSG are an event. In good times tix just become that much more sought out. Hence my point that they can trot out weak teams and still sell out. Red Bulls cannot.

They sell out because the fanbase is huge. every team has corporate money. it doesn't put butts in seats. people still have to show up. that is why when the knicks, lakers, cowboys or yankees  play in certain away arena's it actually a home game for them due to their loyal fanbase who live in all parts of the country. 

In my previous post, i was making a connection to knick fans to euro/south american fans. these fans would spend money to see euro/south american teams play but they wont make an effort to support the ny clubs. why? because they have no connection to them. the ny teams have not done enough to win their loyalty.  that is the problem and has been the problem since 1996.  it's not about brining stars or who has more corporate money. it is how can you connect with the fanbase that loves the sport.  its a cultural experience that people have experienced with friends and families that MLS has not been able to recreate in this area. 

i have always said that red bull should sell a portion of the club to season ticket holders. that would spark a huge interest especially if the fanbase has a say on how the club operates. that input would create generational brand loyalty. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
You cant really compare other venues to MSG. Its located in middle of Manhattan with all the money that comes with that. Its accessible easily by train from just about everywhere in NYC. It has direct lines connecting NJ, LI, Westchester, & parts of CT. Damn, I can get on an Amtrak and get directly to MSG from Philly, Boston, DC. Its just a different beast with the money AND accessibility.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Do you guys think the Knicks actually do anything to draw in fans that Red Bull doesn't? I don't recall the NYK ever doing a single thing to get me to attend a game.

I think generational impact gets too far lost in these conversations. Elf you mentioned it but you seem to wield it as an accusation instead of an explanation.

I don't know anyone who follows their "major four" team because they were woo'd by some special event or deal or advertisement. They just grew up in a household and community that put games on all the time. MLS is barely in its second generation of fans, very few people with disposal income grew up in an MLS household.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,209 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I don't recall the NYK ever doing a single thing to get me to attend a game.

They dont have to. Their fans are dyed-in-the-wool.

MLS is barely in its second generation of fans, very few people with disposal income grew up in an MLS household.

NASL fans date back to the late 1970s. The Cosmos averaged 34,000 in 1977; 48,000 in 1978; 47,000 in 1979; 43,000 in 1980. All in Giants Stadium, including midweek games. A few full houses approached 80,000.
Most of these fans are still around, with children and grandchildren who are also soccer fans. Yet, RB cannot draw a legitimate 15,000.
The MetroStars started with 47,000 at GS in 1996. Those people came to see if the new team in a new league would play an attractive, exciting brand of soccer. The gradual decline in attendance proved it did not.
Some, we are doing it all wrong. I would guesstimate that 200,000 individuals have watched a game at RBA. How many returned? Once? More than once? Regularly?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,197 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Right, so what are we praising them for that Red Bull isn't doing today? From the responses so far its not the exciting brand of basketball they play. 

You're not wrong about the other stuff I just don't put as much stock in it. The Cosmos are a dead team from a dead league, I think the sort of loyalty you guys are talking about has to come with the actual team in question being the team of the household. And yes many of those Cosmos fans and their children are still alive, but we're being dishonest if we're painting soccer as anything but a hyper-niche sport for any span of American history outside of the last decade. Basketball has been in the public spotlight since the 70's. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

NASL fans date back to the late 1970s. The Cosmos averaged 34,000 in 1977; 48,000 in 1978; 47,000 in 1979; 43,000 in 1980. All in Giants Stadium, including midweek games. A few full houses approached 80,000.
Most of these fans are still around, with children and grandchildren who are also soccer fans. Yet, RB cannot draw a legitimate 15,000.
The MetroStars started with 47,000 at GS in 1996. Those people came to see if the new team in a new league would play an attractive, exciting brand of soccer. The gradual decline in attendance proved it did not.
Some, we are doing it all wrong. I would guesstimate that 200,000 individuals have watched a game at RBA. How many returned? Once? More than once? Regularly?

Cosmos attendance dropped below 30,000 the last 3 years and down to 12,000 in their final season. So the were losing attendance themselves, nevermind creating enough passion to pass down soccer fandom to the next generation or two.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,209 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Cosmos attendance dropped below 30,000 the last 3 years and down to 12,000 in their final season.

The 80,000 at previous games still were around. The product on and off the field did not attract them.
We face a similar problem today. The on & off-field product cannot attract 20,000. But, they are out there.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users