23 replies to this topic

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Looking at the leading scorer summary, I was struck by the fact that our four leading scorers are our four starting attacking players, the AM, LM, RM and F:

Wright-Phillips  15 9   spacer.gif  Sam  12 7   spacer.gif  Kljestan  8 13   spacer.gif  Grella  8 9  

For those wanting to tinker with the lineup, I say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. That's a pretty impressive stat. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Who would you expect to be our top scorers?

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Who would you expect to be our top scorers?

Look at other teams' stats and it often isn't the case.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Look at other teams' stats and it often isn't the case.

I think the 4-2-3-1 formation teams that have a played a fairly consistent starting XI (us, Columbus) have their top 4 scorers as their starting 4 attackers. Teams like the Revs that have had a lot more squad rotation in are the ones where the current starters may not be tops in stats. With our formation and the consistency and minutes of our starters, I think it would be weird if Grella, Sam, Sacha, & BWP weren't the top statistical attackers.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

Looking at the leading scorer summary, I was struck by the fact that our four leading scorers are our four starting attacking players, the AM, LM, RM and F:

Wright-Phillips  15 9   spacer.gif  Sam  12 7   spacer.gif  Kljestan  8 13   spacer.gif  Grella  8 9  

For those wanting to tinker with the lineup, I say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. That's a pretty impressive stat. 

4 players with double digit goals and assists?  has that ever been done before?  I could not locate this on the google.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Note that this is MLS + Open Cup.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

Note that this is MLS + Open Cup.

Adjusted to MLS only:

Bradley Wright-Phillips  15 /7  

Lloyd Sam 10/ 6

Sacha Kljestan 7 /12

Mike Grella 7/ 7

Slim shot at 4 double - double guys.  Still impressive.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I WAS ALSO SHOCKED TO DISCOVER THAT LOUIS ROBLES LEADS THE TEAM IN SAVES AND SHUTOUTS

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

I WAS ALSO SHOCKED TO DISCOVER THAT LOUIS ROBLES LEADS THE TEAM IN SAVES AND SHUTOUTS

Um, wisenheimer, look at the stats for our four biggest rivals--DC, NE, NYCFC and PHI--and you won't see this, not by a long shot.   The whole point I was making is that our lineup consistency is working.   

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Um, wisenheimer, look at the stats for our four biggest rivals--DC, NE, NYCFC and PHI--and you won't see this, not by a long shot.   The whole point I was making is that our lineup consistency is working.   

Back up your claim with evidence. Did all of our rivals maintain as much consistency as we did in our lineup? Do we have these numbers because we consistently fielded the same top 4 or do we have the same top 4 because of their numbers? 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Not one of the four teams you brought up had any consistency in their starting XIs. Two of City's starting attackers didn't even get here until mid-summer. Should Kreis not have played Pirlo because Balluci was among the team leaders in attacking stats? Sometines a fullback (like Francis in Columbus) sneaks into that group with some assists, but in general if you have a consistent lineup things will be pretty obvious. I'm sure Dax and Felipe lead the team in tackles.

ukraine76

ukraine76

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Adjusted to MLS only:

Bradley Wright-Phillips  15 /7  

Lloyd Sam 10/ 6

Sacha Kljestan 7 /12

Mike Grella 7/ 7

Slim shot at 4 double - double guys.  Still impressive.

I think that literally almost every single one of the 8 numbers is ahead of realistic expectations before the start of the season. Certainly G+A for each of the players. I suppose this is why Marsch has a hard time changing the line-up

ukraine76

ukraine76

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Not one of the four teams you brought up had any consistency in their starting XIs. Two of City's starting attackers didn't even get here until mid-summer. Should Kreis not have played Pirlo because Balluci was among the team leaders in attacking stats? Sometines a fullback (like Francis in Columbus) sneaks into that group with some assists, but in general if you have a consistent lineup things will be pretty obvious. I'm sure Dax and Felipe lead the team in tackles.

And Robles probably leads the team in saves :)

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

And Robles probably leads the team in saves :)

YOU'RE TOO LATE, I ALREADY MADE THIS JOKE. ASSHOLE. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I think that literally almost every single one of the 8 numbers is ahead of realistic expectations before the start of the season. Certainly G+A for each of the players. I suppose this is why Marsch has a hard time changing the line-up

I think two (Sam assists, BWP goals) are in line with expectations.  Everything else though, yeah, especially Sam's goals and Grella generally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users