68 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I think the current Red Bull "build from within" could work if they were more aggressive supplementing holes in the academy with international youngsters they can groom in USL for a year before replacing someone in first team.  When they signed Casseres I thought we would aggressively make signings like that every year, but it never happened for some reason. Like now they should be signing a young CB to groom because we dont have one if Long is sold soon and our good prospects are midfielders.

In terms of expectations I don't agree that any year you don't win MLS Cup is a failure just because of the luck involved in playoff formats and a salary cap league.  But given our market advantages we should be winning a trophy every other season and be genuine title challengers every year.  Last year was a failure.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

When they signed Casseres I thought we would aggressively make signings like that every year, but it never happened for some reason.

That would be a nice strategy.
How much did he cost in 2018?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

That would be a nice strategy.
How much did he cost in 2018?

free transfer i believe, waited for his contract to expire and signed to precontract

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

nice try in manipulating a post. the point of the earlier post was to show how some of the major clubs in the world have had a history in developing the core of their team. 

the point is to show that spending money for the sake of spending money is silly. imagine if Barcelona never gave messi, puyol, Iniesta or Xavi a chance to shine. Or if Real never allowed Casillas, Raul or Morientes play? spending money for the sake of spending money is dumb.

RBNY has talent and there is no reason  to rush and buy guys now. especially in a league that has a salary cap.  the guys promoted from RB2 and the youth academy have talent. the smart play is to see what you have.. there is no harm in waiting 

what is the worst that could happen? we lose games? then you spend money in the summer when the talent pool of players is a lot better. 

now if the plan works out... you can then use the money to hold on to the core for a very long time. 

Im not going to feel into your delusions. Enjoy having fun with the rest of the group.

These boards need a good protagonist.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Im not going to feel into your delusions. Enjoy having fun with the rest of the group.

These boards need a good protagonist.

Do i get an award? :-)

The offseason is waaay too long.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Do i get an award? :-)

The offseason is waaay too long.

I agree! The lack of activity is making everyone crazy!!

😂

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

nice try in manipulating a post. the point of the earlier post was to show how some of the major clubs in the world have had a history in developing the core of their team. 

the point is to show that spending money for the sake of spending money is silly. imagine if Barcelona never gave messi, puyol, Iniesta or Xavi a chance to shine. Or if Real never allowed Casillas, Raul or Morientes play? spending money for the sake of spending money is dumb.

RBNY has talent and there is no reason  to rush and buy guys now. especially in a league that has a salary cap.  the guys promoted from RB2 and the youth academy have talent. the smart play is to see what you have.. there is no harm in waiting 

what is the worst that could happen? we lose games? then you spend money in the summer when the talent pool of players is a lot better. 

now if the plan works out... you can then use the money to hold on to the core for a very long time. 

Those guys were dominant academy players that everyone knew would become superstars. They weren't random B-team fodder. I don't think anyone here would be complaining if we had potential superstars in waiting. Giving Iniesta first team minutes isn't the same as giving Jared Stroud first team minutes.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

If the Red Bulls represent miserable mediocrity, I shudder to think what the Jets, Giants, Knicks, Nets, Isles, Rangers, Devils, and Mets are.

This is what I think about when people say that you need to be champion to be relevant and get attention in New York.  Yet, the Knicks are incredibly and successful financially.  As a Mets fan, I would happily take the level of success the Red Bulls have had over the last ten years compared to what the Mets have. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

This is what I think about when people say that you need to be champion to be relevant and get attention in New York.  Yet, the Knicks are incredibly and successful financially.  As a Mets fan, I would happily take the level of success the Red Bulls have had over the last ten years compared to what the Mets have. 

The Knicks and Rangers will always be financially successful due to the location of The Garden on Broadway in Midtown Manhattan, and over one of the busiest transit hubs in the world. They are a tourist attraction and a big corporate draw. They will always sell out despite how low they fall.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

at lest MLS has a new anthem - not bad

https://www.mlssocce...sed-hans-zimmer

and new player tracking so everyone can see how sucky player WHIPPING BOY NAME HERE is 

https://www.mlssocce...ing-data-system

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
I hear they are also going to use their system to track supporters, their levels of lunacy, histeria, across dimensions such as nachos, hot dogs, and beers... And posts on message boars

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I hear they are also going to use their system to track supporters, their levels of lunacy, histeria, across dimensions such as nachos, hot dogs, and beers... And posts on message boars

as long as they don't track empandas we should be fine....

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Even Seattle's recent MLS Cup run depended on Morris and Roldan who were developed by the club. 

Cristian Roldan was drafted by Seattle. He was born and raised in California - they didn't develop him.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

yeah, Morris we'll give ya. after all, his Dad was/is the team doctor. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

MLS has a new anthem

meh

and new player tracking

I prefer to watch the actual game.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users