5 replies to this topic

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Here's a fun little quiz for today: Which of the following actions will NOT get you sanctioned by MLS or one of it's clubs:

A) Holding up a small sign on a perch for like a minute making fun of a league sponsor who just did something abominable.
B) Holding up a scarf on the field that says "Fuck Ohio" (which is a sentiment shared by just about anyone who has had the misfortune to be there).
C) Repeatedly shouting out a homophobic slur where it is clearly audible on a national TV broadcast (oh and did I mention they were playing a team whose stadium has a memorial for 54 people who were slaughtered because they were gay?).

The correct answer is of course "C". Thanks for playing, and once again remember #dontcrosstheline (Unless you are one of the league's pet teams. Then it's cool).
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Repeatedly shouting out a homophobic slur where it is clearly audible on a national TV broadcast (oh and did I mention they were playing a team whose stadium has a memorial for 54 people who were slaughtered because they were gay?).

Is "puto" actually a homophobic slur? I know that MLS hates "asshole!" on goal kicks, but I thought that was more for the profanity, than as an anti-gay thing.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Is "puto" actually a homophobic slur? I know that MLS hates "asshole!" on goal kicks, but I thought that was more for the profanity, than as an anti-gay thing.

Puto roughly translated is male prostitute (or rent boy for you English types) so yeah, homophobic. YSA was banned because of the word asshole, nothing more.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Puto roughly translated is male prostitute

Not everywhere, apparently:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puto

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Not everywhere, apparently:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puto

That's like when Arsenal played in Italy with Sega (the video game maker) as a kit sponsor unaware that in Italy sega was slang for masturbate.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

in Italy sega was slang for masturbate.

The stuff you know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users