538 replies to this topic

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Since we know there's no scouting network in place, MetroFanatic has taken it upon itself to send someone to Europe this week in order to find new players.

Our man in the field went to see Rapid Wien yesterday and came away impressed with some guy named MURG:

MURG.png

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Maybe we'll get some trialists to come here since we're too cheap to scout.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,510 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Can't wait til we hear about this guy being mentioned as a surprise trialist:

tumblr_od08zx7Hlj1qclsj2o1_400.gif

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Obviously important to get one for the long term.  Long is a good starter and Collin is a beast but only for a bit longer. 

Personally, I'm not as interested in any defender we add because the biggest need BY FAR is an offensively dynamic player.  

Completely disagree. We're having trouble distributing quickly out of the back with any sort of intent and it's giving teams way too long to reorganize their defensive lines.

Yes we ALSO need the signing that Veron was supposed to be but...if the other team can't score then you can't lose.

If I only get to pick one I pick a lock down total package CB. That signing keeps us in each and every game.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,510 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I agree, with a lock down CB who could pass outta the back semi-effectively like DP and Miazga in 2015. I know we'd rather have the big$$ spent on strikers, CAMs, wingers, though. Our GD is -6 iirc, a good CB would do fine. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

Tymatt

Tymatt

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars

Completely disagree. We're having trouble distributing quickly out of the back with any sort of intent and it's giving teams way too long to reorganize their defensive lines.

Yes we ALSO need the signing that Veron was supposed to be but...if the other team can't score then you can't lose.

If I only get to pick one I pick a lock down total package CB. That signing keeps us in each and every game.

There's a guy that comes to mind that almost has all of those qualities of a total package cb except for his ability to pass(most mls cb's don't pass well but his would range in the league average area). William Troost-Ekong 23 years old playing for Gent however he doesn't seem to be in the first team right now as he came back from loan from norway where he had a nice stint. Anyway he's been good for Nigeria which could be a plus and it seems he still clears the ball out of the back often which if he has every other quality a cb needs to have I'm all for it. He plays a fantastic aerial game similar to Miazga and well Ronald Zubar. His ground game with tackling also seems to be top notch. Once Collin gets back we could be fine considering he passes rather well out of the back. Just bringing it up for consideration. 

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

We need to get lucky on a signing soon.  Doesn't look like the Gulbrandson is going to score anytime soon. Veron has been here too long and Royer hasn't been lighting it up either.  Those three combine for over mil in salary with not much to show for, especially 1/3 through the season.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

We need to get lucky on a signing soon.  Doesn't look like the Gulbrandson is going to score anytime soon. Veron has been here too long and Royer hasn't been lighting it up either.  Those three combine for over mil in salary with not much to show for, especially 1/3 through the season.

When guys like BWP and Dax first got here it took a while for them to take over games but their quality was evident and they were still contributing in a meaningful way.

That's how I feel about Gulbrandsen. He's a quality player and just needs to bag one. Also we have ZERO backup plan for BWP.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Gotta agree.  Gulbrandsen passes the eye test for me. Dude has skill. Has real quickness and speed.  Certainly the skill to go with it.  

Unlike Veron, he's someone that will produce with minutes.

As much as I like Gulbrandsen though, we need a serious outside player.  Like Piatti difference maker. 

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

A difference maker as Sacha is too dam slow to react especially since Dax was the glue as how we see how he's still playing a major role with Chicago's improve play.

We know RB closed their Kayak account after the Veron to scout South America.  So any Austrian or German players left to pick?

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
Agree on gulbrandsen. Passes eye test. Production is possible.
Need cam/winger - Nani or younger gun like Joel Campbell or some of those guys mentioned in link above.

Any thoughts on these players?
https://www.mlssocce...e-summer-window

Andres Castro Portuguese 29 cam in turkey

Treijo 29 yr old Argentinian out of contract June from Toulouse CAM or RW. Anyone seen this guy?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroCab

MetroCab

Brilliant!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Keisuke Honda will be heading to a new league, somewhere, this summer.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Keisuke Honda will be heading to a new league, somewhere, this summer.

Not a "sexy" name per se but man he would fun as hell to watch in MLS.

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
How spoiled are Real Madrid fans... they just paid $46 million for 16 yr old Brazilian kid. In the meantime, we can't even fathom a $4.6 milllion signing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users