171 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I am not at all surprised that a rebuilding year would result in a poorer finish than the previous year. It is exactly that, a rebuilding year, with new players, new manager, etc.. The fruit of the rebuilding should come in the future, and the fandom should be prepared not to make the playoffs because, hey, its a rebuilding year. Unless in your opinion 2020 was absolute rock bottom for the club.

A) 2020 should have been the rock bottom

B) I don't believe there needs to be anything called a "rebuilding year" in MLS.   It's not like other sports where you are very limited in how much you can do from one year to the next, heavily dependent on draft picks and trade opportunities.     We are just one or two players away from being a contender, and there is no reason we couldn't have gone out and gotten those one or two players in the summer window.   Maybe we are  cap-constrained with all the money wasted on the bench and down on RB2, but 100% could have done more to contend this year, and we simply chose not to.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We dropped 4 places in offense, and moved up 10 spots for defense.    You would think Fabio + Klimala   vs.  White + Barlow  would have/should have been a more positive impact.    Kaku only had 5 assists, so its not like we lost all that much in "creativity."

Yeah it's a massive task for Struber and Thelwell to figure out. They can talk all they want about tactics, youth, COVID, etc. but at the end of the day the top teams have players who can make magic happen individually. There were plenty of games in our past where we looked like shit for 70 minutes but all BWP needed was one touch in the box to earn the team points singlehandedly. Brian White had a similar quality (though far less effective). We desperately need a playmaker in midfield but we also need a guy who can make finish the one chance he gets when the game is a slopfest. 

The 2022 season is make or break for Thelwell/Struber in my mind. They had a full year to integrate tactics and learn what MLS is about, they'll have a real training camp, transfers should be much easier and a bunch of shitty Hamlett contracts should be off the books. Doesn't mean MLS Cup or Bust but anything less than a team comfortably in playoff position by August 1st should mean major job insecurity. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We dropped 4 places in offense, and moved up 10 spots for defense.    You would think Fabio + Klimala   vs.  White + Barlow  would have/should have been a more positive impact.    Kaku only had 5 assists, so its not like we lost all that much in "creativity."

That assist total is not fair to Kaku imo. He had a great 2020 and was dropping dime after dime to the strikers. You just have to remember that most of the time that striker was Tom Barlow... If Kaku is feeding Klimala the type of service he fed Barlow then I think both of those guys could have put up some pretty impressive stats this year.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

That assist total is not fair to Kaku imo. He had a great 2020 and was dropping dime after dime to the strikers. You just have to remember that most of the time that striker was Tom Barlow... If Kaku is feeding Klimala the type of service he fed Barlow then I think both of those guys could have put up some pretty impressive stats this year.

I'm not sure where all this respect for Klimala's finishing ability has suddenly come from.   The guy's been shitting the bed with his opportunities all year.   His touches in the box and shots taken are 90th+ percentile, but his non-pen goals scored are in the bottom third.     He may be looking better lately, because we've been squeaking out wins, but he hasn't been good.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm not sure where all this respect for Klimala's finishing ability has suddenly come from.   The guy's been shitting the bed with his opportunities all year.   His touches in the box and shots taken are 90th+ percentile, but his non-pen goals scored are in the bottom third.     He may be looking better lately, because we've been squeaking out wins, but he hasn't been good.

I don't think he'd be topping the league goal scoring charts, because I agree with you that he's not a clinical finisher. But he's on 8 right now, with more consistent service all year I could have seen him ending in the 12-15 range just through pure volume of opportunities. That's not awful for a young striker new to the league, especially considering the assists he's added as well. Might have been enough to put us safely in the playoff picture at least.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts

I don't think he'd be topping the league goal scoring charts, because I agree with you that he's not a clinical finisher. But he's on 8 right now, with more consistent service all year I could have seen him ending in the 12-15 range just through pure volume of opportunities. That's not awful for a young striker new to the league, especially considering the assists he's added as well. Might have been enough to put us safely in the playoff picture at least.

He's on 5 not counting  PKs,  which is where Brian White landed last year on just 875 minutes.    White was even better in 2019.     On minutes/goal or $/goal, he hasn't been good at all, new to the league or young or whatever.    And I know all about how even Henry didn't score much in the beginning either, but the problem for Paddy isn't lack of opportunities.   

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

He's on 5 not counting  PKs,  which is where Brian White landed last year on just 875 minutes.    White was even better in 2019.     On minutes/goal or $/goal, he hasn't been good at all, new to the league or young or whatever.    And I know all about how even Henry didn't score much in the beginning either, but the problem for Paddy isn't lack of opportunities.   

Klimala's performance and stats are much better if you only look at the most recent hot streak and discount the early/mid-season build-up, same goes for the overall team performance. :)

Now, assuming that is the new normal for him or the team is a very dangerous game. We are unbeaten in 7 (5W-2D-0L, 10-2 GD), but before that were on a 1W-4D-6L streak (9-14 GD). Have we "figured it out" or is this just a random walk sample? I think regression to the mean is more likely than keeping up low-scoring wins all the way to MLS Cup in 2021 but boy do I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, and Klimala did miss an absolute sitter off the bench for NYCFC that could have sealed the game. Hopefully he keeps improving. A DP-level creative player in the midfield would naturally help both him and the team overall, as has been the case for the past 6 years.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users