81 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Can't even get into CCL via SS anymore. SS literally useless sans the fact it gets you home field advantage to host MLS Cup.

Just these 2 seasons due to the CCL format change. Back to regularly scheduled programming next year.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

combining 2017 and 2018 seasons...

ATL is at 118 pts

RBNY is at 112 pts

NYCFC is at 110 pts

If ATL and us ended up tied at 121 pts, it'd mean that ATL only managed 3 pts the rest of the way, if we won out. we win the tiebreaker which iirc total wins. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

We've won two shields, so you'd take a cup at this point, but...here we are... kinda want the shield just to take it away from Atlanta. That one stat I saw on Twitter was pretty crazy: vs. teams with >50 points, we're like 6-1-1, ATL is 1-4-2. 

Would be nice to end their season in ATL come playoff time. :)

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

We've won two shields, so you'd take a cup at this point, but...here we are... kinda want the shield just to take it away from Atlanta. That one stat I saw on Twitter was pretty crazy: vs. teams with >50 points, we're like 6-1-1, ATL is 1-4-2. 

Would be nice to end their season in ATL come playoff time. :)

I'll be rooting for them to get bounced in the first round. I'll always take home field if we can get past whoever we get first.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we have to walk away with at least 1 trophy this season. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Shields are nice, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one. But this team needs a goddamn cup yesterday.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

I'm only in on the SS race because Fuck Atlanta.. But I don't really care for the SS. Go and win the fucking cup, please. 

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
I usually care about the shield only in that we get continental football out of it.

However, not this year, so I Cup>>>>>shield

RogerPhoto

RogerPhoto

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Supporters Shield or MLS Cup winner?  That's the ultimate no-brainer!

The team with the best regular season record is the Champion, pure and simple.  (Irrespective of the MLS FO, with its eye of maximum profits.)

In descending order of importance, it's the Shield, U.S. Open Cup and (lastly) MLS Cup.

The MLS playoff system just makes MLS look even more like a Mickey Mouse retirement league than it actually is.  It's increasingly a pyramid scheme under single-entity control -- without the international norm of promotion and relegation (because the MLS FO sees that as undercutting the financial value of its franchises).

MLS has a long way to go, and its deficiencies aren't being addressed by the fan base.  Until it lets teams naturally rise and fall, it's more a gimmick than a real sports league.

RogerPhoto

RogerPhoto

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Shields are nice, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one. But this team needs a goddamn cup yesterday.

I don't understand this thinking.  Rather than root for the Red Bulls to be champions/Shield winners, some fans seem to prefer to win the MLS post-season tournament, just because our franchise hasn't ever won an MLS Cup (or, for that matter, a U.S. Open Cup).  That's like a Premiership fan saying they'd rather have their team win the English league cup because, well, "we've already won the Premiership a number of times."

It's past time for MLS fans to really assert themselves, rather than just go along with MLS FO dictates.  (And some of these very same fans are among those who have opposed Red Bull's "control" of the team, arguing against the consequences of it's presumed corporate mentality.)

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Supporters Shield or MLS Cup winner?  That's the ultimate no-brainer!
The team with the best regular season record is the Champion, pure and simple.  (Irrespective of the MLS FO, with its eye of maximum profits.)
In descending order of importance, it's the Shield, U.S. Open Cup and (lastly) MLS Cup.
The MLS playoff system just makes MLS look even more like a Mickey Mouse retirement league that it actually is.  It's increasingly a pyramid scheme under single-entity control -- without the international norm of promotion and relegation (because the MLS FO sees that as undercutting the financial value of its franchises).
MLS has a long way to go, and its deficiencies aren't being addressed by the fan base.  Until it lets teams naturally rise and fall, it's more a gimmick than a real sports league.

How did my name get tagged to your post? 😀
I do agree with what you said.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

What England does is not relevant to this discussion.

Why not? Comparing ourselves to other leagues, especially the most followed league in the world seems like a worthwhile contribution to the discussion. Doesn't mean we need to do as they do, but I think it's relevant.

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Why not? Comparing ourselves to other leagues, especially the most followed league in the world seems like a worthwhile contribution to the discussion. Doesn't mean we need to do as they do, but I think it's relevant.

The tournament culture is engrained here in the states. The games and teams are based in US/Canada. Then theres the financial incentive for playoffs (more air time, more ticket sale, etc.). The schedules not even balanced.

The fact that leagues across the pond do things a certain way is worth less than the pixels typing out why their way will not change our way. Salary cap, seasons, travel, pro/rel, etc. theres just so much thats different and singling out this one thing is silly.

Should NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. all change their format? Is there anything stopping countries abroad from hosting leagues with the same sports and not having playoffs?

The fact is, the championship game between two conferences determines the champion all across our country. Fans of the mainstream sports accept this without question and most soccer fans accept it for MLS without question. The SS dictates winner by technicality only. Its not that its without importance, its just not THE winner. Indisputable.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Happy to win the SS but they don't print t-shirts, hats, etc for the SS winner. Gotta get that Cup!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

they don't print t-shirts ... for the SS winner.

What?
I have one for each Shield!
I bought some from the second Shield as gifts.
I will buy the Third Shield t-shirt, as soon as ESC or Bill From Astoria make it!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users