109 replies to this topic

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Granted, if you're broke-ass and need to put it on some 15% interest credit card (we've all been there), maybe season tickets aren't the right life choice at this moment anyway.

That sounds exactly like something Chris Heck would say: "Let them eat interest!". You wouldn't need to put it on one ofthose cards if they offered a payment plan, but they want it all upfront in order to get the black card. If you could pay over time the price of the tickets is affordable, it's making people pay everything up front that is a problem. As a contrast, I signed up for 76ers season tickets at the end of last season. They gave me a $200 credit and gave me a 12 month payment plan that made the tickets very affordable.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom
  • Supports:USA, NYRB, Millonarios, Celtic, LFC

You had to pay your balance all up front in order to get that. So in effect you gave them a 7 month interest free loan.

This isn't exactly true... sure, they wanted the loot up front but you could have finagled a payment plan and the red/"black" card if you were cool with your rep and asked nicely.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

This isn't exactly true... sure, they wanted the loot up front but you could have finagled a payment plan and the red/"black" card if you were cool with your rep and asked nicely.

My rep disappeared without notice so...

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

That sounds exactly like something Chris Heck would say: "Let them eat interest!". You wouldn't need to put it on one ofthose cards if they offered a payment plan, but they want it all upfront in order to get the black card. If you could pay over time the price of the tickets is affordable, it's making people pay everything up front that is a problem. As a contrast, I signed up for 76ers season tickets at the end of last season. They gave me a $200 credit and gave me a 12 month payment plan that made the tickets very affordable.

I seem to remember that they did offer an interest free payment plan which came with a free "silver" Stampede card if you renewed your season tickets before the deadline.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You want gold for copper?

The perk of paying upfront was getting some additional rewards. I don't see a problem in that.

No offense, but the price is still the same whether you pay once, twice, or 50 times. And the amount for a single supporters club ticket in 2012 is not going to break the bank especially if you are already paying for 76ers tickets as well as the other sports you have mentioned here that you attend from time to time.

While I'd prefer to pay over a couple installments just for cash flow purposes, I don't see the issue of getting a perk for paying for something in advance.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

You had to pay your balance all up front in order to get that. So in effect you gave them a 7 month interest free loan. Try going to a bank and getting that type of deal. Why do you think they were trying so hard to get people to pay for their 2012 tixs so far in advance? The $100 dollars in beer probably cost the team less than $10, so they are coming out ahead by a significant margin.

In that case its a win win for both, because by paying in advance I'm also ahead by a significant margin.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

You want gold for copper?

The perk of paying upfront was getting some additional rewards. I don't see a problem in that.

No offense, but the price is still the same whether you pay once, twice, or 50 times. And the amount for a single supporters club ticket in 2012 is not going to break the bank especially if you are already paying for 76ers tickets as well as the other sports you have mentioned here that you attend from time to time.

While I'd prefer to pay over a couple installments just for cash flow purposes, I don't see the issue of getting a perk for paying for something in advance.

Jay, the problem is this isn't a perk. The "Membership" scheme is (with the exception of the Krafts sending in their gestapo in the Fort) the most disgusting, sleazy treat your fans like they are suckers thing an MLS team has ever done. Just because you get this "perk" this year doesn't mean they are going to do it next year. The reason they offered the "perk" was because they knew they had to to get people to agree to this. When this scheme was announced, everyone should have told them "Hell no", and they would've been forced to abandon in it. Now that it's here, it's here to stay and I would not be shocked if everyone has to pay the Red Bull PSL next year. Think about this for a minute: do you think Portland, Seattle, Vancouver or any other MLS team would do something like this (Heck, Toronto hasn't and they are known for treating their fans like crap)?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
Mike,

I'm still not sure what the problem is.

By agreeing to pay for your tickets in full in advance, they gave people a $100 credit for food / drinks in the stadium as well as other perks such as discounted merchandise and a VIP event.

Other people chose to pay $200 closer to the season for the $100 credit and the other perks mentioned above.

Again, this was the individual's choice to do so. They didn't have to do it.

As for the PSL, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I just renewed my 101 tickets last week. I was easily able to move my seats from the end of row 1 to smack in the middle of the section. And the tickets are the same price as they were in 2011 per game.

I don't see what the problem is with the front office offering you something, but you have to give something in return. It's up to the individual to see if there is value in it. But from reading these boards, it's clear that there are people that felt it was an equitable deal for them to take the front office up on.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

As for the PSL, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

The PSL is the membership fee you have to pay unless you ponied up the cash early. I know it was people deciding they were getting a good deal, I just think that they aren't looking ahead to when this membership program becomes an accepted fact, and at that point the team will probably not offer such a deal and everyone will have to pay the fee (no early renewal perk). The membership idea was a terrible fan unfriendly idea, and I just wish people had reacted to it as such. Now we're stuck with it.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Now we're stuck with it.

We are stuck with nothing. When and if the ticket prices -all in- become more than I value them to be worth, I'll stop buying them. If they screwed up this year as you suggest, they'll have to adjust and lower the cost. If they didn't screw up and its working out for them, it will only mean that the team is becoming more succesful in the market, which is a good thing. Fortunately, the tickets are so cheap compared to what I think they are worth, there's probably a lot of room for increases before I personally would give them up.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

The PSL is the membership fee you have to pay unless you ponied up the cash early. I know it was people deciding they were getting a good deal, I just think that they aren't looking ahead to when this membership program becomes an accepted fact, and at that point the team will probably not offer such a deal and everyone will have to pay the fee (no early renewal perk). The membership idea was a terrible fan unfriendly idea, and I just wish people had reacted to it as such. Now we're stuck with it.

I'm not happy about the future prospect of paying for a PSL every season, but that's starting to be the reality in pro sports across the board. It's only a matter of time before MLS becomes a big time player in world soccer and we'll have to learn to live with these changes as they happen or we'll be priced out and have to watch on TV. It's the ugly side of becoming a successful league.

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars
This might warrant a thread split but since we're talking about it, why not?

It can be agreed upon that the supporters section tickets are the most undervalued seats in the stadium, more so now than last season.

Heck pushed back raising prices on them(meaningfully) this (2012) season and we are all expecting the huge leap for the season after(2013).

After the 2012 season draws to a disappointing close (eddie gaven fucks us in the playoffs with a penalty save), I believe that they will try to lesson the blow of tremendous price jump by raising ~50% of Heck's valuation in 2013 with the other ~50% raise for 2014.

They will dangle an opportunity to "lock in" the 2013 price for 2014 if you buy the two years worth up front. Thereby getting both their interest free loan, and 2014 season ticket numbers preemptively sold to justify a larger price increase.

Calling this right now, but I apologize if I inadvertently just inserted this idea in the Austrian hive-mind.

Pooplickerprime (a searchphrase to easier find this post 2 years from now)
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

It's only a matter of time before MLS becomes a big time player in world soccer

If it does, Ill pay the extra $100! :lol:

the supporters section tickets are the most undervalued seats in the stadium ... we are all expecting the huge leap for the season after(2013).

:blink: I'm not expecting it!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
I can't speak for the other sections in the stadium, but there hasn't been any significant increase in ticket prices in 101. The only increase which I saw was that there are more games this season therefore one is paying more for the whole season, but the same price for each individual game.

I was surprised there was no increase in per game cost. Like everything else in this world, costs go up. And I would expect them to in the future. Now, if they increased the cost by 50%, I would consider dropping one of my two season tickets. Until then, the $18 or so I am paying to go to a live soccer game is a solid deal.

A movie these days costs $12, so paying 1.5 times the price of a movie for a live sporting event? Gret deal in my opinion. But as that ticket price increases to $20, $25, and $30+, the value in that ticket will decrease.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I can't speak for the other sections in the stadium, but there hasn't been any significant increase in ticket prices in 101. The only increase which I saw was that there are more games this season therefore one is paying more for the whole season, but the same price for each individual game.

I was surprised there was no increase in per game cost. Like everything else in this world, costs go up. And I would expect them to in the future. Now, if they increased the cost by 50%, I would consider dropping one of my two season tickets. Until then, the $18 or so I am paying to go to a live soccer game is a solid deal.

A movie these days costs $12, so paying 1.5 times the price of a movie for a live sporting event? Gret deal in my opinion. But as that ticket price increases to $20, $25, and $30+, the value in that ticket will decrease.

Not necessarily. It all depends on what you get for it. If the product improves faster than the ticket price rises, then the value increases even at a higher nominal cost.

Value is a perceptual (relative) term, not a fact.

Two cars priced at $25,000, one may be a rip off and the other a great bargain. it all depends on the underlying product or service AND an individual's distinct needs, desires and preferences. I like my view from my seats and therefore, everything else held equal, I am willing to pay more for them than someone else who either likes another view better or doesn't rate that factor highly. Price, proximity to friends, proximity to the exit, in or out of direct sunlight, superstition (has to sit in section xxx), etc . may all rate higher than view for that person.

If they field a better team on a consistent basis your perception of the value of those seats will likely go up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users