this guy...this fuckin guy

#17 Thirsty Poet

Thirsty Poet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

I am not a fan of Guppy but I have only been following MLS for the last three seasons (2007 being my first year with season tickets). He has done good and bad in my book. The JCO situation and the losing streak this season made me hate him, but Blanco and hiring JCO made me think he was ok. I think that what happens in the rest of the off season and early 2008 season will solidify my opinions one way or the other. I guess I am somewhere between Armani and Montag on this, but leaning closer to Montag. I am willing to see what happens in the next few months though.

Also, I don't think that this will create fighting within the section. It is good for us to air our views as long as we do so in a productive manner. After all, at the end of the day we just want to see the Fire win and many of us have differing views on how to make that happen.
Last Ward - Sector Latino

#18 Slvgx

Slvgx

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Supports:Siempre Chicago

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

I hate to rain on this parade, but I think Guppy has failed us miserably. I just thought I'd add it in just so it didn't become a complete Hippie love fest in here. :cheers:

#19 Nudles23

Nudles23

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:39 AM

I hate to rain on this parade, but I think Guppy has failed us miserably. I just thought I'd add it in just so it didn't become a complete Hippie love fest in here. :cheers:

I'll join you in this...I don't hate him, there's only one person I'd say I hate in the Fire organization with a second close behind, but neither are Guppy...but I don't like him, not even a little...For every decent thing he does that works out well, I'd hang three things on him that I disagree with or have failed...He needs to go.

#20 bkfiv

bkfiv

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:46 AM

We don't know if he did anything wrong here or not. We don't know if JCO gave him a chance to keep him or not. If JCO wasn't going to coach the Fire (I can't imagine he would've just sat out the remainder of his contract), I don't know what the long-term effects of pulling a hard line stance would cause. We do know that once the writing was on the wall - Guppy didn't get any player(s) in return. There was a precedent already set to receive a player, and the Fire didn't get one this time.

I don't LOVE Guppy. He may be nice but for Fucks sake we're in a shitty position right now, and Metros are in a much better situation.

#21 Some Guy

Some Guy

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Supports:The Chicago Fire

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

I don't.

#22 m311ton

m311ton

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

I don't love him either, but I really think we need to wait until the dust clears for a verdict. He will define himself in these next few months leading up to the season. Once we see how he pulls the organization through these changes with hindsight, then we can love or hate him.

#23 Goodtimes

Goodtimes

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:51 AM

Anyone who oversaw Metro Playoffs Fever has a long way to go before he gets my approval.

#24 SparkeyG

SparkeyG

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Supports:Fire, USMNT, the Ref

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

I put Guppy in the good guy column.
Realize, Peter signed Dave the short, John hired JCO the traitor.

#25 Nowak4o7

Nowak4o7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Supports:Ben Burton

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

no seriously, dude is a great guy. I like having him around. He did nothing wrong in the JCO debacle and he found him in the first place.

So let me be the first to say I think John Guppy is a class act both in and out of the office

do your worst or join me

You sure it wasn't JCO who found guppy???

#26 Armani

Armani

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:long walks on the beach and sitting under the stars o ya and chasing cbus fans out of parking lots.
  • Supports:Chicago fire

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

It was also cool when he showed up at the supporters match.

#27 heybeerman

heybeerman

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, hockey, beer and nude pictures of female celebrities
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

I have nothing bad to say about Guppy. Oh yeah, I've never had a beer with the guy and therefore I don't trust him. :P

#28 chileno18

chileno18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Interests:futbol<br /><br />MY CLUBS:<br />*Chicago Fire <br />*River Plate<br />*Univ. Catolica<br />*Villareal CF
  • Supports:FIRE, River, U.Catolica, CHILE

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

i dont 'love' guppy; but i definetely dont hate the guy either. As a matter of fact, i really dont think anyone here hates him; i could be wrong.
i just think a lot of us think we can do much better, thats all.

Prove us wrong gupster - you got some work to do!!!!

#29 Montag

Montag

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

Prove us wrong gupster - you got some work to do!!!!

Exactly.

#30 WB05 Karl

WB05 Karl

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:gonzo art criticism, boozes, chicago punk rock, throwing stuff of porches, ruining people's parties, stuff that's loud, Patrick Nagel
  • Supports:the goddamn chicago fire

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

when the stated goal of winning the MLS cup is achieved then I'll have a lot of nice things to say. 'till then, I'm indifferent (which is a big improvement over my previously held opinions of the man).
:::democracy is not a happy idealistic society were everything is free hugs and freebasing coke in stairwells while police watch (that happens in frankfurt germany). it has it's ups and downs like everything. - WB05 Brandon:::

jawbreaker, constantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users