31 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Apparently berhalter is looking to play Tyler adams at right back this week: https://www.mlssocce...dre-yedlin-wing

What a waste. And I bet will crapp starts at d mid.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
It's fine to test stuff out in friendlies

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Playing the nation's best d-midfielder at right back so you dont displace Bradley or Trapp is the exact kind of stupidity I've come to expect from the USMNT.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
I guess he did play some right back when he was at RBNY..

But yea, it seems like hes being played totally out of position. If hes good enough for center mid in the Bundisliga, he should be out best option for the USMNT.

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Apparently berhalter is looking to play Tyler adams at right back this week: https://www.mlssocce...dre-yedlin-wing

What a waste. And I bet will crapp starts at d mid.

https://twitter.com/...4351601664?s=21

Someone on Twitter made a diagram showing where Adams position would be on the field under Berhalters formation

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

https://twitter.com/...4351601664?s=21

Someone on Twitter made a diagram showing where Adams position would be on the field under Berhalters formation

in that same twitter thread, this guy nailed my exact thoughts on this usage:

"the general problem I see is that we know when the US plays good teams, we cede the majority possession of the ball. That means for the majority of the game, Adams will not be in his best position"

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

https://www.mlssocce...ld-be-unleashed

he idea that moving Adams to right back hinders him in some way is wrong (at least philosophically). It’s the opposite; it provides him the most freedom to impact the game in the most ways. If the defensive midfielder needs help in possession, Adams can move inside next to him; if the wing needs an option to create a numerical advantage, Adams can split wide; if there’s a cross coming into the box, Adams can make a late run.

Yes, Adams could be used as the controlling player to start the possession. Yes, he could be used higher on the field to play around the box. The hybrid right back spot allows him to do both. Berhalter is trying to unleash Adams, not hinder him.

It might not the be long-term answer, but it’s absolutely worth trying.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I dont see what the big deal is. Now is the time to try stuff out.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

the meltdown was something to behold. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I understand why he is looking to try Adam's as a rb but he is your best dm.

I think bradley still has a role on this team. I think he is the best passer. His weakness is the amt of ground he covers but having a guy like Adam's play behind bradley would help the defensive shape.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

https://www.mlssocce...ld-be-unleashed

he idea that moving Adams to right back hinders him in some way is wrong (at least philosophically). Its the opposite; it provides him the most freedom to impact the game in the most ways. If the defensive midfielder needs help in possession, Adams can move inside next to him; if the wing needs an option to create a numerical advantage, Adams can split wide; if theres a cross coming into the box, Adams can make a late run.
Yes, Adams could be used as the controlling player to start the possession. Yes, he could be used higher on the field to play around the box. The hybrid right back spot allows him to do both. Berhalter is trying to unleash Adams, not hinder him.
It might not the be long-term answer, but its absolutely worth trying.

Well if you're going to try these are the games to do it. Maybe it will work but it's kinda frustrating to see especially since we all know how effective he is a DM. As the man Pepper Brooks once said "Bold move Cotton, let's see if it pays off."

LONG LIVE METRO

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm not a fan of this to be honest... 

People like Doyle on twitter keep pointing out that he played right back for Metro but that doesn't really tell the whole story.  He played right wing back in a formation that was either a 5 man back line or truthfully, it was a 3-3-3-1.  

Tyler is one of your best players.  Keep your best players where they are most comfortable. Tyler has said himself he thinks he's best as a number 8.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Keep your best players where they are most comfortable. Tyler has said himself he thinks he's best as a number 8.  

Player's views can adapt and change. He might have the potential of a 90-95 percentile DM, but end up a 99 WB. I'm sure he'd enjoy bombing up and down the wing and being more involved offensively. It could be the difference between a career in mid-tier teams or winning Champions Leagues, not to mention an order of magnitude difference financially (Henry and his positional switch comes to mind).

Not saying it will happen or that it's even likely, but experimenting for a game or a few at 19 is absolutely fine.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
This is the best spot for Tyler in Berhalters current system/formation. The type of DM he plays is different (better?) than the Bradley/Trapp version, so it wouldnt work without reorganizing the whole system. The other place he could fit is as an 8, but I think Weston McKennie is going to play there.

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

If you have an Athletic subscription, this article will give you a better idea of why Berhalter wants to try Adams at RB, talking about the way he used the position against Panama: https://theathletic....lter-nick-lima/

To play this system you need a really versatile RB who can read the game well, seamlessly switching from fullback while defending to central midfielder while attacking. Not hard to see why he would want to try Adams out there.

Probably the most influential offensive tactic from this game was the USA’s 3-2-2-3 shape in possession. Harkening back to the WM shape first popularized in the 1920’s, Berhalter used San Jose Earthquakes right back Nick Lima as an inverted fullback, as he tucked in alongside Michael Bradley in possession to form a double pivot.

Lima didn’t just get plaudits from his teammates for his ability to adapt to a new role. Berhalter praised Lima and went into detail on his right back’s responsibilities in his post-match press conference: “It’s not easy to ask your right back to get the ball with his back to goal. It’s not easy to ask him to pivot in midfield to create space for other people, but he did a good job of that.”

The last part of that quote is the key: Lima’s job in his interior role was to create space for others. By shifting Lima centrally, Berhalter added a man in in the middle of the field, which allowed central midfielders Cristian Roldan and Djordje Mihailovic to push higher up the field and act as dual No. 10s. Berhalter’s offensive game plan revolved around getting the advanced midfielders up the field, feeding them the ball, and allowing them to play with the wingers. Berhalter said as much in his halftime interview with ESPN’s Sebastian Salazar, telling him that “Our focus is finding the 10s and then activating our wingers to get behind their backline.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users