319 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

He might be the best sub 6' headed goalscorer to ever play.  Who else is even close?  His aerial ability is nothing short of miraculous.  

I agree but Dax would like a word. More seriously, Griezmann comes to mind at sub-6' but Cahill has obviously done it for much longer.

Ivan Zamorano's wiki page claims he was 5'10'', which sounds wrong, but he was also amazing in the air.

Klose was much better than his 6'0 would imply.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Comes down to height, leaping ability, and strength.  And above those qualities, you need the want-to and the ability to anticipate the ball as well as movements of defenders.  Very tough quality to have.  

Forget what Cahill did offensively in the air, he was even bigger shutting down any defensive set pieces.   

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

WHY DID YOU FORGET DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX

#Sarcasm 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

We tried to force Cahill to play CDM in an empty bucket with Dax too often which just wasn't his thing. He wasn't exactly the trequartista type even in his prime, his best game was not on the dribble or with the pass. 

Then we tried to play him as a point striker which wasn't a good fit either with his slowing pace. 

Had they just played him consistently as the 2nd forward I think he could've stuck around longer. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Cahill was paid to do a goalscoring celebration, once again proving his 'heart on the club's sleeve' shtick wherever he goes is a load of crap. He is a money-grubber:

http://www.independe...l-a7995921.html

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

the dude single handedly put Australia on the brink of world cup glory again. Who cares if he's getting paid to celebrate as long as the goals keep going in.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We tried to force Cahill to play CDM in an empty bucket with Dax too often which just wasn't his thing. He wasn't exactly the trequartista type even in his prime, his best game was not on the dribble or with the pass. 

Then we tried to play him as a point striker which wasn't a good fit either with his slowing pace. 

Had they just played him consistently as the 2nd forward I think he could've stuck around longer. 

This one really seemed to boil down entirely to issues off the field. EoS and SI had some good takes and quotes around the situation. Cahill was clearly at the point of his career where he wanted to cash in as much as possible before retiring and the Red Bulls were already planning on going into cost cutting mode. With an extension and raise off the table and growing tension over how many games he missed through international duty, it made sense for him to move on.

reyes7

reyes7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Supports:rbny

https://twitter.com/...175123139338241

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

https://twitter.com/...175123139338241

The top reply:

"Thanks for staying for the best part of your ridiculously front loaded contract ($$$) and looking totally disinterested for 90% of your time here. Love your work with the Socceroos Tim but your ego is out of control. You're too old to be a regular starter, here or anywhere."

Sounds familiar....

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

It strange to see him in that Man City/ny shitty/Melbourne City shirt.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

The best is still that kid that stole the corner flag when he tried to celebrate after a goal. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The top reply:

"Thanks for staying for the best part of your ridiculously front loaded contract ($$$) and looking totally disinterested for 90% of your time here. Love your work with the Socceroos Tim but your ego is out of control. You're too old to be a regular starter, here or anywhere."

Sounds familiar....

I had forgot that he got released by his A League team and 100% thought that was a Metro fan.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
Cahill just signed with Millwall again.... I'm so embarrassed for him, he's degraded into Freddy Adu status

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Cahill just signed with Millwall again.... I'm so embarrassed for him, he's degraded into Freddy Adu status

??? He's done well everywhere he's gone and left on his own accord.  Freddy failed everywhere he's gone.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Cahill does Cahill.
He just chases the $$$ and playing time. He still thinks he's a world class player so demands to get out of contracts the moment he isn't playing. Not a great person or teammate, but I can respect that he wants to play for his $$$.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users