Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,281 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Erm, that's precisely the point. Rza was here in preseason and was playing in competitive games in February. He didn't become an automatic starter until June/July (admittedly, the injury didn't help). Ivan does not have 6 months ahead of him before the playoffs, so he needs to show something quickly. I'm not writing him off, just agreeing that midseason signing history isn't on his side (someone pointed out that Henry and BWP didn't contribute immediately upon arriving in the summer).

Also, I am strictly talking about contribution in our quest for MLS Cup this season, not about overall ability or future performances in 2019 and beyond.

EXACTLY. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Erm, that's precisely the point. Rza was here in preseason and was playing in competitive games in February. He didn't become an automatic starter until June/July (admittedly, the injury didn't help). Ivan does not have 6 months ahead of him before the playoffs, so he needs to show something quickly. I'm not writing him off, just agreeing that midseason signing history isn't on his side (someone pointed out that Henry and BWP didn't contribute immediately upon arriving in the summer).

Also, I am strictly talking about contribution in our quest for MLS Cup this season, not about overall ability or future performances in 2019 and beyond.

Why does he need to "show something quickly"? Firstly, it's not as if he's taken away meaningful minutes from someone who has proven to contribute. Secondly, there is a ton of time left until the playoffs begin. It's ridiculously to watch him play 15 minutes as a sub and conclude that he therefore can't possibly become a useful option off the bench three months from now.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Why does he need to "show something quickly"? Firstly, it's not as if he's taken away meaningful minutes from someone who has proven to contribute. Secondly, there is a ton of time left until the playoffs begin. It's ridiculously to watch him play 15 minutes as a sub and conclude that he therefore can't possibly become a useful option off the bench three months from now.

That's great because I didn't do that. I did say ne needs to show something soon/quickly, but haven't made any conclusions, merely pointed out that given his recent signing, he doesn't have a lot of time to nail down a spot (unlike Rza). I also said he should show something over the next month (after that we have exactly 4 MLS games remaining, the first of which is a six pointer vs Atlanta, not exactly an experimenting ground).

3 months from now is the tail end of the playoffs. We've seen the desperation move of using Veron in a meaningful role for the first time in the playoffs quite recently. It doesn't work well.

Re the beginning of your comment - if anything, I'd be advocating for him to get some starting minutes immediately so he can sink or swim in the short run and show Armas whether he can be immediately impactful, or whether he's more of a long term signing. You are right that 10-20 minutes aren't indicative of full match performances and judging a player on that is unfair.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
I think he starts vs Houston to get fitness and integration and info to work with

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,281 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

also, to Ivo's point, think back to Royer's acquisition. most of us did not know much about him at all outside of checking his wiki page finding out he was a Europa Lg/Champs Lg Qualifying Rd level guy. he showed something early-ish on, iirc, beginning with DC away in '16. and when we played away at TFC, he looked like a baller, given how the squad was constituted at the time.

and i can assume that's the kind of player Koko wanted in the July transfer window.

that's how i interpret Ivo's post about showing something, and my endorsing it. if anything, ivan should've got a look with RB2, like Murillo did when he 1st got here. or just like Abang did last Tuesday in that confounding RB2 match that ended in a draw. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users