1452 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Is this the first time in the DP era that an offseason has begun, we have the ability to fill DP slots, and there are literally no names floating around? I really don't think we start 2015 with no glitzy DPs, but if RB made that choice, that would raise my Red Bull Wants to Sell meter to 100%. Sorry for any potential thread hijacking.

Has there ever been much of a correlation to the pre-season buzz and what eventually happened in the DP market?    Besides Henry?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

Speculation's hard when we don't know what region/relationships our gm specializes in! 

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

Is Collin a realistic possibility? Now with Henry gone I'd say he would probably sign for us. 

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

Has there ever been much of a correlation to the pre-season buzz and what eventually happened in the DP market?    Besides Henry?

I'd group player signing buzz into three categories: a.) Fans speculatively saying, "Our GM knows this continent and this club; we could totally sign this player who's there and would fit in" b.) An agent saying the team is interested in their player c.) The team looking into a player and word of that getting out.

The last one being the only one I'm talking about, and the second one sometimes being difficult to distinguish, so one just has to accept that some percentage of even mainstream buzz is nonsense.

We're probably all talking about media reports not related to fan speculation, and I'd have to look back to see how much of a correlation there has been. There've surely been a truckload of fizzles, because of it being fabricated by an agent or someone else, or because it just didn't happen, or whatever. Even though I can't remember if it was Angel, or Rost, or Cahill, or Marquez, or Reyna, I feel like some of those names were in the wind for months before. I'll fish up old reports at some point.

My memory is that every other time we had slots open, the team was clearly poking around to fill them, and there were reports of it from the onset of the offseason. Some will always be unsubstantiated, and I'm sure something unsubstantiated will come up soon to confuse things, but there being zero DP rumors right now, for the first time in my memory, with the likelihood reasonable that all of our DPs will be gone in 2015, suggests to me that there really might be nothing brewing. I still think there's hardly any chance of no high-profile DPs being here in 2015, but if that happened, it would be earth-shaking, in the world of MLS.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Fan base is as large as ever and we've had 2 great seasons in a row. Would hate to not bring in the RIGHT DPs and take a step back and fall into obscurity.

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
I'd like us to sign Demba Ba. Someone smarter and with more patience than me can figure out how, though.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

petke's recent interview where he calls for fans and media to be "patient" with their new  upcoming team building approach is all  you need to hear regarding RB's desire to spend money on DP's. 

He's a random name thats been mentioned before.  Brek Shea.   He's no Henry but he instantly fills that left attacking mid position...he's still young and he's got something to prove.  you'd assume he's Probably available on a loan w/ option to buy this winter since Stoke has no need for him.   A similar boat that Mo Edu was in and he ended up being very good for Philly. 

5 year plan

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Altidore, or don't bother.

So you sit BWP? If we stay with the same formation we had at the end of the season you can only have one of them. Remember, Jozy is not a creator and even to this day he does not have the same forward instincts as BWP.

Cheers

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

I'll say the same name I've been saying for the past 42 offseasons: Juan Román Riquelme. He ain't leaving Argentina, and he just signed with Argentinos Juniors, but this is his game in the Superclásico earlier in 2014 for Boca. He's the one wearing #10, [insert Ray Hudson verb]ing everyone.

https://www.youtube....h?v=SlMpZf-LnSA

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I'd group player signing buzz into three categories: a.) Fans speculatively saying, "Our GM knows this continent and this club; we could totally sign this player who's there and would fit in" b.) An agent saying the team is interested in their player c.) The team looking into a player and word of that getting out.

The last one being the only one I'm talking about, and the second one sometimes being difficult to distinguish, so one just has to accept that some percentage of even mainstream buzz is nonsense.

We're probably all talking about media reports not related to fan speculation, and I'd have to look back to see how much of a correlation there has been. There've surely been a truckload of fizzles, because of it being fabricated by an agent or someone else, or because it just didn't happen, or whatever. Even though I can't remember if it was Angel, or Rost, or Cahill, or Marquez, or Reyna, I feel like some of those names were in the wind for months before. I'll fish up old reports at some point.

My memory is that every other time we had slots open, the team was clearly poking around to fill them, and there were reports of it from the onset of the offseason. Some will always be unsubstantiated, and I'm sure something unsubstantiated will come up soon to confuse things, but there being zero DP rumors right now, for the first time in my memory, with the likelihood reasonable that all of our DPs will be gone in 2015, suggests to me that there really might be nothing brewing. I still think there's hardly any chance of no high-profile DPs being here in 2015, but if that happened, it would be earth-shaking, in the world of MLS.

Rafa and Cahill were completely out of nowhere.  Rost doesn't count.  I'll defer on Angel and Reyna.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I'll say the same name I've been saying for the past 42 offseasons: Juan Román Riquelme. He ain't leaving Argentina, and he just signed with Argentinos Juniors, but this is his game in the Superclásico earlier in 2014 for Boca. He's the one wearing #10, [insert Ray Hudson verb]ing everyone.

Although I would love to see Riquelme play here, I just think if we are going that route there are much younger (and less expensive) #10 in South America that could do well in this league.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Putting aside his age, he'd experience 3 or 4 games of MLS hackery and  officiating, quit and go home.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Section133

Section133

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Supports:Metros

if Petke "listens to the fans"... we are apparently  resigning Donadoni and Juan Pablo Angel.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Rafa and Cahill were completely out of nowhere.  Rost doesn't count.  I'll defer on Angel and Reyna.

Reyna was tons of speculation because of the connection with Bruce.

Angel was out of nowhere.  Martin O'Niell was completely retooling Aston Villa with speedy players everywhere and Angel didn't fit the mold.  He was using guys like Luke Moore (now in MLS), a young kid named Gabby Ablonglohor, Ashley Young, etc.  And to be fair, Angel was absolutely terrible for Villa for a fairly long stretch.  I remember watching a game where he missed 2 PK's, it was bad.  So, he let Angel go on a free to clear salary space.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

With boca and argentinos jrs, he has often struggled to be healthy enough for a string of games in a row.  I believe that he has chronic tendinitis.  Not sure exactly where. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users