Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,577 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

I could definitely see a Chivas scenario where this team folds or is relocated, and The Smurfs are the only show in town for a few seasons. Let em languish in RBA/YS purgatory while the new NY1 club comes together for a well-done, well-hyped relaunch appropriate to and competitive with 2022/3/4/5 MLS.

Unlike Chivas this is a founding club so I don't think the wait would be four years for Metro 96. That interim period would be angsty as hell though.

I also see a Columbus Crew scenario where RB sells the team and the new owner moves the team to Vegas, El Paso, Sacramento, Detroit or something. The only difference is that there wouldn't be enough outcry from the fans to get a replacement team, and NYCFC would then become the full-time tenants. At this point, I don't know how much I'd care, as long as they don't erase my name off of the rock in front of the stadium (vague reference alert).

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Supports:Metro

What is Rocco Commisso doing with the Cosmos trademarks?

The wishful theorist in me suspects thats the end: 

1) RB sells and different group buys out Commisso/partners with him for Cosmos name. 

2) RB moves to Vegas and MLS moves Sacremento spot to NY for Cosmos  

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

The Cosmos name has basically zero value anymore. All the people who associate the Cosmos with success and vibrancy are past or nearing retirement age. In 1996, it would have been valuable but by 2025 they will be only slightly more relevant with the demographic of fans the team needs than Brookhattan.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The wishful theorist in me suspects thats the end: 

1) RB sells and different group buys out Commisso/partners with him for Cosmos name. 
2) RB moves to Vegas and MLS moves Sacremento spot to NY for Cosmos  

Not Vegas. Youd need big name players to successful there.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, USA, PR libre

True. Red Bull Phoenix? They can use the surrounding dessert for all kinds of soda-hyping stunts!

I like Metro over Cosmos, but either >>>>>>>>> RBNY. Cosmos would raise expectation for a steady flow of famous players.

RED. BULL. OUT.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I could definitely see a Chivas scenario where this team folds or is relocated, and The Smurfs are the only show in town for a few seasons. Let em languish in RBA/YS purgatory while the new NY1 club comes together for a well-done, well-hyped relaunch appropriate to and competitive with 2022/3/4/5 MLS.

Unlike Chivas this is a founding club so I don't think the wait would be four years for Metro 96. That interim period would be angsty as hell though.

Hasn't Garber been desperate for two NY teams since he took over? Isn't that why he let NYCFC skirt by basically every requirement he had previously laid out for an expansion club?

Even if he's not happy with Red Bull, I can't imagine he's going to be on board with a situation that moves either team out of the area.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The Cosmos name has basically zero value anymore.

We are going to have to disagree on this.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

What is Rocco Commisso doing with the Cosmos trademarks?

Please. No thank you. Metros, Metro 96. Not Cosmos.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

The Cosmos name has basically zero value anymore. All the people who associate the Cosmos with success and vibrancy are past or nearing retirement age. In 1996, it would have been valuable but by 2025 they will be only slightly more relevant with the demographic of fans the team needs than Brookhattan.

Agree 100%. Nobody younger than 45 even remembers the original incarnation. The name is not worth what some think it is worth. Not to mention there is a lot of bad blood between the Cosmos and MLS and USSF. MLS would get more out of a rebrand to Metros.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

True. Red Bull Phoenix? They can use the surrounding dessert for all kinds of soda-hyping stunts!

I like Metro over Cosmos, but either >>>>>>>>> RBNY. Cosmos would raise expectation for a steady flow of famous players.

Red Bull is not going to unload NY and start another team in MLS elsewhere. They either keep the team they have, cash out and put the money to use in Leipzig, Salzburg, or F1, or they abandon the US for a club in Mexico.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Please. No thank you. Metros, Metro 96. Not Cosmos.

i agree that metro is a great moniker, I even like Red Bull Metro better than RBNY - sounds more authentic as the team has always been an NY Metro area team. 

Can live with Cosmos as well. 

At the end of the day, the product on the field is the most important, but if I can have a great team, and not feel like a shill, that'd be heaven. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,440 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

...abandon the US for a club in Mexico.

This is my guess. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Looks like RedBull Bragantino about to make a continental final in Copa Sudamericana

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Fans can be true masochists sometimes

https://twitter.com/...5060901898?s=21

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,440 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Some are just certifiable and believe that the exception makes the rule. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users