Vuolo and Meara as our keepers

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you OK with Vuolo and Meara as our keepers? (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you OK with Vuolo and Meara as our keepers?

1. Yeah, it's OK (44 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, it's terrible (6 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

3. Whatever (14 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

4. I don't believe Backe and they're going to sign an old German or something (24 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

will we even get a 3rd keeper?

Probably, but the Robles setback probably altered the time line for when it might happen.

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Probably, but the Robles setback probably altered the time line for when it might happen.

Posted Image

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

will we even get a 3rd keeper?

It was written somewhere that you must; I can't find it in the roster rules. The only thing they say regarding goalkeepers is:

(J) EXTREME HARDSHIP CALL-UPS
Teams may add players to their roster in cases of “extreme hardship” as follows: (1) a club with three goalkeepers on its 30-man roster, but has less than two available goalkeepers

So, basically, if you only have two goalkeepers, you're not even eligible for an extreme hardship replacement. But I guess you can always sign someone from USL on a one-game deal like we did numerous times before...
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

MKiz

MKiz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Supports:New York RedBulls, USA, Greece
We should Sign Des!!
R.I.P.
METRO
1996-2005

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

It was written somewhere that you must; I can't find it in the roster rules. The only thing they say regarding goalkeepers is:

So, basically, if you only have two goalkeepers, you're not even eligible for an extreme hardship replacement. But I guess you can always sign someone from USL on a one-game deal like we did numerous times before...

Is it possible for us to have the MLS pool goal keeper around with out even signing him?

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Is it possible for us to have the MLS pool goal keeper around with out even signing him?

Maybe if you keep him inside a locker and remember to feed him three times a day. But I think he would be decidedly less limber upon release.
"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros
For what it's worth, I thought Meara was excellent at the combine. Good positionally, brave, nice shot-stopper, and big. Not a superhuman athlete, and not a great distributor (almost no Yank 'keepers are), but he certainly looked like he had the goods to start right away. I've also heard from people who were there that he was very vocal, and very good about organizing his back line.

The best comparison, I'd guess, would be Pickens.

Calpico

Calpico

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, April 25 Sports Club
I saw Meara once against UMass. Wasn't really tested and the backline really fucked him over on UMass' only goal.
"There are no time-out's in soccer? ... Really?" - Coach John McGuirk

http://calpicotime.tumblr.com/

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

For what it's worth, I thought Meara was excellent at the combine. Good positionally, brave, nice shot-stopper, and big. Not a superhuman athlete, and not a great distributor (almost no Yank 'keepers are), but he certainly looked like he had the goods to start right away. I've also heard from people who were there that he was very vocal, and very good about organizing his back line.

The best comparison, I'd guess, would be Pickens.

I've never seen either play so I can't comment.

This is a great overview, thanks.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
With the various rumors, Backe & Soler have been trying to bring in an experienced keeper. Which would mean Vuolo/Meara was not expected be the starter. Won't be easy for either of them. Playing behind a new centerback pairing, organizing a much older/experienced defense and the constant worry of being "bum of the week" on metrofanatic.

I'd go with Meara. Seems to have a "Tim Ream" temperament.

Just not impressed with the lower Finnish league pedigree of Vuolo. Also (and file this as a metrofanatic rant), I ain't enamored by all his Wells Thompson god squad stuff. I know "Jesus saves", but he wasn't talking about football.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
There are some big ifs, but, if Teemu is healthy and if Conde returns to his form from a few years ago, with our ability to possess the ball (in theory), we shouldn't need a goalie to stand on his head, we should just need him to be solid, not make too many mistakes, and come up with those 1-2 big saves a game every team needs. Conde should be there to recover from the brutal turnovers Rafa makes now & again, so, hopefully no more of the awful 2 on 1 breakaways from the top of the box that seemed to kill us last year.

I'd rather they go with these two guys and give them a solid shot to turn into something, than waste an international slot & a large chunk of salary on a foreign keeper who is only marginally better.

Sure, I'd trade 'em both for Donovan Ricketts, but, short of stumbling into a guy like that, save the cash & roster spots for extra central defenders & someone to sub-in at the 75th minute to play A-mid in crunch time who isn't named Ballouchy.

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

extra central defenders

The more I think about it, the more I think that's more of a potential weakness than GK. After Conde and Holgersson, the guys we have and I've heard we're looking at represent a big drop-off. Would be cool if Keel continued with the surprise quality; that would solve some of it.

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
Let's assume a worst case scenario, all the guys who are injury prone are out. Who's left?

---Cooper-------------------Agudelo---
-Lindpere-Marquez-Palsson-Richards-
-Miller----Keel----Holgersson----Solli-
--------------Meara/Vuolo--------------

:ph34r:

Do you trust the above lineup? I've got mixed feelings. We won't be bottom of the conference, but we won't be contending for the SS, or MLS Cup. This lineup could slug it out in an ugly game, but if we played any of the stronger teams in the league, it would be a difficult game to secure points, especially on the road.

Granted, the above happens if Henry, Rodgers, Tainio and Conde are all out. Dax and Ballouchy would be the only bench players who have seen substantial MLS playing time. I would like to think that Borrajo and Lade are decent enough to step in should Miller and Solli are out of the lineup, but if I recall, our starters on the defensive flanks aren't as injury prone as the others mentioned.

I would prefer an experienced keeper due to a lineup like the one above. But at least we'd have 3 Americans starting!!!

:lol:

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Let's assume a worst case scenario, all the guys who are injury prone are out. Who's left?

Also scary: consider all of our INTL call ups are out at once. No Agudelo, Richards, Lindpere, Miller or Rafa. (Maybe we hang onto Joel, maybe not). Bang, we're out 3/4s of our midfield, and while we have TH14/Rodgers/Cooper up front, we've got Ballouchy or Dax feeding them the ball (with Victor behind) and half our back line is non-starters because we now have Lade playing RB cause Solli is at right mid. And I have no idea who our backup LB would be.

Keeper could be Van der Saar for all it matters, you have to think we're losing that game.

I guess my thinking is just that we have a shit load of quality field players. Yes, we're going to be thin at times, but, if it comes down to our keeper being a 6 out of 10 or a 10 out of 10, we've already likely lost. Get another guy for A-mid & someone to play alongside Keel in the middle, keeper should sort itself out.

Even if Rafa returns to great form, if he goes to the Olympics (has supposedly said he wants to) & has WCQs to deal with, we're missing him for something like 4+ weeks of the season. Olympics goes July 25- August 11. Best case, he plays the night of the 18th (wed) & leaves the 19th, giving him 6 days with the Oly. team. He'd miss 4 games (July 21, 28, Aug. 3rd, possibly the 10th) & be back for the 19th. So, we need someone to start 4 games minimum, unless he is somehow called up for camp before the 18th. At the least, we have to plan on missing him for 4-5 starts this year, maybe more with WCQ.

In that scenario, I'll spend at mid & risk the keeper.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

The more I think about it, the more I think that's more of a potential weakness than GK. After Conde and Holgersson, the guys we have and I've heard we're looking at represent a big drop-off. Would be cool if Keel continued with the surprise quality; that would solve some of it.

If both Conde and Holgersson are out you would have to think you would see a Keel and Marquez pairing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users