134 replies to this topic

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Just that our two big offensive signings in last 12 months are Royer and Gulbrandsen who may still be getting comfortable with the team in MLS so its hard to say if they are both slumping and can be the difference makers we need.  And then the annual maybe this will be Veron's year thing.  

I have a lot of questions about Gulbrandsen and whether he can hack it at the MLS level.  His goal scoring rate and inability to break through in Austria (who's league is a step below MLS standard, especially at the bottom) makes me question whether he can be relied on for goals here too.  His career strike rate is nothing to write home about.

#RedBullOut

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

I have a lot of questions about Gulbrandsen and whether he can hack it at the MLS level.  His goal scoring rate and inability to break through in Austria (who's league is a step below MLS standard, especially at the bottom) makes me question whether he can be relied on for goals here too.  His career strike rate is nothing to write home about.

Not a very different career from Ola Kamara.  Similar strike rate on the same team no less. (Molde)  Barely played at Salzburg so tough to take anything there seriously.  Gulbrandsen just happens to be younger.

Plus the eye test suggests he can handle this league.  At least I think it's obvious... The question is whether he can handle it as far as health goes.  And with Sacha playing like garbage, whether he'll get any service.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Not to spark a "Never Ending Gulbrandsen Discussion" thread, but aren't we likely to run into the exact same problem with him as we did Veron if we switch to a 4-2-3-1? And unlike Veron, I don't think this kid has ever played on the wing.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Not to spark a "Never Ending Gulbrandsen Discussion" thread, but aren't we likely to run into the exact same problem with him as we did Veron if we switch to a 4-2-3-1? And unlike Veron, I don't think this kid has ever played on the wing.

yup. Gulbrandsen was brought on board to be BWP's strike partner in a 2 forward lineup. If we agree that the 4-2-2-2 sucks for us (it does), then the only other option is to put him on the wing, or let him sit on the bench. Just seems to be poor roster planning on our part

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Fine, let it happen.  Better to have him in a spot that he's not good at compared to Sacha.  Maybe we luck out and Gulbrandsen is fine out there.  It's not like our wingers are parked outside and never get chances in that system.  He'll get an opportunity or two to score.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,563 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Which is why we didn't sign him to a long term deal.   If we bail on the 4-2-2-2-2-2-2,  we will need to look at the who plays on the left flank of Sacha.  By the July window Grella and Veron will have been healthy (fingers crossed) and have had their opportunity.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Fine, let it happen.  Better to have him in a spot that he's not good at compared to Sacha.  Maybe we luck out and Gulbrandsen is fine out there.  It's not like our wingers are parked outside and never get chances in that system.  He'll get an opportunity or two to score.

If a loanee rids the pine but we are successful as a team I could care less. 

Grella never played wing before and worked ok for him.  Veron - well there are 40 pages of post relating to that. 

Gulbrandsen was brought to be the 2 on the front line wtih BWP.  If the formation doesn't work for us then sucks to be him.  Just becuase that formation isn't working at the moment doesn't mean they don't ever try it again or go to it if we are chasing the game or practice it more before trying again.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The difference from last year's start and this year's start is Collin.    He plugged the hole left by Miazga.   Now we need someone to plug the hole left by Dax.    I thought Twellman had a good point when he said that lack of confidence in Davis/Adams has Sacha and Felipe less aggressive and less effective going forward.    Hopefully, they get over that sooner than later.

The scapegoat to the current start has not been the kids. Most of the goals are due to poor defending from our vets.. specifically collen, perry, lawrence and zizzo. The team is having trouble defending crosses.

You also cant say that our offense has not created chances. We have created more chances on goal then most of our opponents and our mid has also maintain good possesion.

Is dax the type of player that will help defend crosses? No. Since wingers need to stop the service and cbs need to mark their forwards. Will he create more possession or chances? No. Davis for example is better then dax in passing.

If anything... blame the D... blame royer or sasha for not finishing chances...blame formation...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,563 posts

The scapegoat to the current start has not been the kids. Most of the goals are due to poor defending from our vets.. specifically collen, perry, lawrence and zizzo. The team is having trouble defending crosses.

You also cant say that our offense has not created chances. We have created more chances on goal then most of our opponents and our mid has also maintain good possesion.

Is dax the type of player that will help defend crosses? No. Since wingers need to stop the service and cbs need to mark their forwards. Will he create more possession or chances? No. Davis for example is better then dax in passing.

You may want to go back and look at how many times Had had gotten his head on a cross defensively... and his leadership overall driving disciplined defense on set pieces and otherwise.   And as others have pointed out, Sacha and Felipe are less effective going forward when they don't have the same confidence in the defense behind them as the had with Dax there.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

You may want to go back and look at how many times Had had gotten his head on a cross defensively... and his leadership overall driving disciplined defense on set pieces and otherwise.   And as others have pointed out, Sacha and Felipe are less effective going forward when they don't have the same confidence in the defense behind them as the had with Dax there.

And if you had Dax in that position this season, nothing would change because he would not solve the problem.

Last year, we had the same issue with dax in cm when we had the poor start. Dax's leadership did not save or fix the defense,and dax did not prevent sasha or felipe from going forward.

The season improved because Collin arrived and stopped the bleeding in defense.

This year we need the D to step up since they r playing sloppy.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

And if you had Dax in that position this season, nothing would change because he would not solve the problem.

Last year, we had the same issue with dax in cm when we had the poor start. Dax's leadership did not save or fix the defense,and dax did not prevent sasha or felipe from going forward.

The season improved because Collin arrived and stopped the bleeding in defense.

This year we need the D to step up since they r playing sloppy.

Which is why the team was even worse last year with Dax back there...

If/when we drop off this year, it's because Sacha is finished.  The same reason we traded Dax when we did.  To beat father time.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Which is why the team was even worse last year with Dax back there...

If/when we drop off this year, it's because Sacha is finished.  The same reason we traded Dax when we did.  To beat father time.

Last year I was ranting and raving about how we needed to be working hard to cultivate the replacements for BWP and Sasha because we were getting close to that time.  Dax didn't even really occur to me.  Ha.

I'm confused about the new BWP contract.  If you're going to be stone-cold business like with the team captain why would you sign a 30+ striker to a 2 year deal?  Especially when the physical demands of the striker in our system are outrageous.

Sasha is either starting off really slow (or the whole team is) or his falloff is coming about 1-2 years sooner than I thought it would.  Only time will tell.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm confused about the new BWP contract.  If you're going to be stone-cold business like with the team captain why would you sign a 30+ striker to a 2 year deal?  Especially when the physical demands of the striker in our system are outrageous.

Cause you can't get any trade value out of a guy who isn't under contract. Luckily, I don't think BWP is showing any signs of slowing down.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,563 posts

Sasha is either starting off really slow (or the whole team is) or his falloff is coming about 1-2 years sooner than I thought it would.  Only time will tell.

Agree on the confusion - but I'll take them on their word that the Dax thing was about making room for young talent.   BWP has earned the payoff, and even if he falls off a cliff and drops to 15 goals, replacing 15 goals isn't easy.

I'll also switch to optimist mode, and attribute Sacha's slow start to National team distraction, the 4-2-2-2 nonsense, and not having Dax.    He's not that old, and no reason to believe he won't sort it out.   I'm more concerned about his leadership, or lack of it.   He's never had to be that guy, and little things like the missed PK's and disappearances during the playoffs don't help.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Agree on the confusion - but I'll take them on their word that the Dax thing was about making room for young talent.   BWP has earned the payoff, and even if he falls off a cliff and drops to 15 goals, replacing 15 goals isn't easy.

I'll also switch to optimist mode, and attribute Sacha's slow start to National team distraction, the 4-2-2-2 nonsense, and not having Dax.    He's not that old, and no reason to believe he won't sort it out.   I'm more concerned about his leadership, or lack of it.   He's never had to be that guy, and little things like the missed PK's and disappearances during the playoffs don't help.  

I too was consfued about BWP deal but in mind its delayed payoff as he was underpaid for production in the pasts.  15 goals per year is quality production and we know they guy can produce nearly double that.

Sacha - hopefully its the above distractions + new baby syndrome.  Hopefully he sorts it out without Marsch having to bench him for Davis or somebody else.  
Not sure how the best way to manage him as I think the guy is motivated to be here and win as he has done in the past. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users