53 replies to this topic

#16 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

I know it's not in vogue right now, but I have faith in the direction the organization is going.

well, since the organiztion torpedoed itself down to ground zero there's literally only 1 way to go from there.

#17 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

well, since the organiztion torpedoed itself down to ground zero there's literally only 1 way to go from there.

below ground?
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#18 dpm

dpm

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

that'd be literally 2 ways to go, unless you went literally laterally

#19 ImSeeinRed

ImSeeinRed

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Supports:CF97, Man U, Celtic, Stockport Cty

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

Posted Image?

#20 radmonkey

radmonkey

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, but the team has been sold now. Hauptman could have hired Wilt back if he wanted. Maybe, Peter will give us the lowdown of how that went down in a few years. Haha.

Anyway, AEG was too cheap to build their stadium like Hunt did for the crew. I dunno, I'd take a tincan stadium to be in the heart of the city. I've always suspected Bridgeview was built more for the B96 bash/DMB of the world, more than it was for soccer. Unfortunately, I was right.
"Dave Checketts and SCP Worldwide partners Dean Howes, Kenneth Munoz, Michael McCarthy and Chris Bevilacqua, chose Real Salt Lake for the team's name because they desired to associate the team with a successful soccer club, and "Fire" was already taken."

#21 irishoutsider

irishoutsider

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Supports:ND, Chicago Fire, Liverpool FC, US

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Yeah, but the team has been sold now. Hauptman could have hired Wilt back if he wanted. Maybe, Peter will give us the lowdown of how that went down in a few years. Haha.

Anyway, AEG was too cheap to build their stadium like Hunt did for the crew. I dunno, I'd take a tincan stadium to be in the heart of the city. I've always suspected Bridgeview was built more for the B96 bash/DMB of the work, more than it was for soccer. Unfortunately, I was right.

On your first point, go back and look at Peter's blog/comments around the time Andrew fired Guppy. By then, the Red Stars were in almost full swing. Id say those posts were pretty much the lowdown. This front office can be great without Peter Wilt.

As for AEG, that is completely the game plan. One of their core businesses is events like those. Go out west and they own practically every venue. Backing MLS gave them a foothold in markets with a free look at this American soccer league of ours. I cant say how well its worked out, but if you could break even on the events/soccer working costs, any MLS growth was profit. And if the other stuff helps keep the soccer team viable, Im all for it.

#22 ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'd take a tincan stadium to be in the heart of the city. I've always suspected Bridgeview was built more for the B96 bash/DMB of the world, more than it was for soccer. Unfortunately, I was right.

Agreed.

#23 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Anyway, AEG was too cheap to build their stadium like Hunt did for the crew. I dunno, I'd take a tincan stadium to be in the heart of the city. I've always suspected Bridgeview was built more for the B96 bash/DMB of the world, more than it was for soccer. Unfortunately, I was right.

Not exactly a shock. Name 1 USA soccer stadium that was built only for soccer. Red Bull Arena, if it ends up panning out like it is supposed on paper, will be #1. Crew stadium would be the next closest thing and every "rock on the range" and OSU spring football game they play there takes away from their claim. Maybe RSL could lay claim to this...maybe.

Even TFC's soccer "stadium" was designed to be multi-purpose...hence, the public demand for field turf as opposed to grass and hence, the very heavy rumors last summer about the CFL playing there.

Soccer just isn't economically viable enough.

#24 creativedestruction

creativedestruction

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

Not exactly a shock. Name 1 USA soccer stadium that was built only for soccer.

Blackbaud Stadium

#25 SoccerDoctor

SoccerDoctor

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Germs.
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Blackbaud Stadium

That is a stretch. There are college "soccer specific" stadiums that hold 5000 fans. The local college has only a woman's team and their soccer specific stadium breaks 2000 attendance regularly and sits 2500.

#26 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

I love our stadium and it was built for soccer. I'm sick of the bitching about TP.

#27 SoccerDoctor

SoccerDoctor

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Germs.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

yeah

#28 ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:09 PM

Name 1 USA soccer stadium that was built only for soccer.

WakeMed in Cary, NC
National Sports Center in Blaine, MN

#29 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

WakeMed in Cary, NC
National Sports Center in Blaine, MN

Cary seems to be a collection of bleachers around a field...at least on TV. How much did either of them cost, and what features do they have for that money? Do they need to host other events to justify their costs of construction and debt service payments?

#30 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

10 years ago Toyota Park was an impossibility.
Who cares how they use it on days when the Fire don't play, as long as there's no x-games in it we're cool.
www.theredcardna.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users