Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

http://nypost.com/20...were-not-cheap/

Roxburgh singled out Duke senior midfielder Sean Davis, who has played for the US at U-14, U-17 and U-18 levels.

“Sean Davis is of major interest to me. I’m already talking to him,’’ Roxburgh said. “He’s one of ours. What I said to him is when you finish at the end of the year, then we want to talk to you. He’s a very good player, Sean Davis, and it sums up our philosophy here.

He trained with Recreativo de Huelva over the summer. 

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Looks like a defensive midfielder from the highlights, would he be a step up over guys like Bustamante or Christianson?

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

His left foot seeks to be ok, but he favors his right foot too much.

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

MoS, have you watched him play much? 

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Looks like a defensive midfielder from the highlights, would he be a step up over guys like Bustamante or Christianson?

Looked more like a pure central mid to me. Wins 50/50s and breaks up plays. Not going to be a trequartista but can open up and distribute competently.

RedBullsFanatic

RedBullsFanatic

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
Davis looked very good in that championship game against Chattanooga. As a central midfielder he had good distribution skills. However a move to MLS is a major step. In my eyes some of these college guys transition very well but others do not. Duvall was a steal as a second round pick in the draft. I think that we still need to find talent from other parts of the world as well. Oyongo is from Cameroon and was a great find.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

MoS, have you watched him play much? 

yeah, echoing what everyone's said. He has distribution skills, but not enough to be an attacking mid. He's a decent "destroyer," but he's not going to hold it down by himself like Dax. Guy is a tweener, but only in the sense that he doesn't have a set spot in the center of the field (as opposed to Kassel who was a tweener by not even being able to settle on midfield or defense at the professional level).

I like him, and he would provide good depth in the center mid. He's not a winger. If Petke decides to shoehorn him there, then... whatever.

The big jump for him is going to be athleticism. If he can improve on strength and speed, then he's a starter in the future. He's better than Christianson and Bustamante, and will benefit greatly from the USL Pro team. He has the tools to be a longtime player in the league, but not necessarily a star.

He projects best in a flat 4-4*-2, 4-1-3*-2 (no attacking mid), or 4-3*-3. 

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Not surprised that Sean Davis is being looked at. I'm surprised that they commented on him. Both he and Dan Metzger play the same position and Metzger has routinely been involved with our reserves up til this year. He had another amazing season at Maryland last year but his speed and size could be an issue in playing pro.

Interesting to see if both players sign HGP contracts. They are both seniors this year. 

Would almost certainly mean that Dax is left exposed in the expansion draft and I'm sure Orlando would love to pick up the hometown kid. Another option would be trading the rights to a player for something in return ala rights to Bryan Gallego for Kosuke Kimura and 2nd round pick (ended up being Ian Christianson). 

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Why would signing a kid (or two) out of college that play D-Mid mean we'd expose Dax?  Despite his down year he's one of our better players.  I know we are league leaders in making idiotic personnel decisions but losing Dax for nothing would be ridiculous.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Also, there is a timing aspect here. The expansion drafts are usually in Nov-Dec, right after the season ends and prior to the superdraft. I get that there is a deadline where he has to enter the superdraft, but it is possible we could protect Dax, then trade him, then sign Sean Davis a week/month later, before he gets drafted. I really doubt we'd have to make an 'either-or' decision unless we really screwed up the timing on our roster lists. Also note, homegrowns are protected from an expansion draft, so, it's not that they would select Sean Davis, but rather that we would protect or not protect Dax.

That said...Dax makes a lot of money and is an integral part of our team. If ORL comes in and offer top $$ for him, you have to do that, but, I'd rather keep him a year or two and let the Sean Davis/Etc. people grow, and then trade Dax (even if it is for less than we'd get this off-season) next year so that we're not exposed with having to start rookies (or, Eric Alexander) in central midfield.

Trades with Orlando will be tricky, however, as they don't currently have a team. It's not like you can go to LA and say "give me De La Garza straight up" or something. You're really looking at trading for draft picks, allocation cash or something else (unless you want Yordany Alvarez back in a trade).

Let's assume TH14 retires. They could move Cahill up top, put us into a 4-4-2, and find 1 solid box to box guy to play alongside Dax. Then maybe we'd be a team with a better shape, and fewer issues. In that case, sending Dax to Orlando gives us 2 holes to fill, not 1.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Why would signing a kid (or two) out of college that play D-Mid mean we'd expose Dax?  Despite his down year he's one of our better players.  I know we are league leaders in making idiotic personnel decisions but losing Dax for nothing would be ridiculous.

For this reason, and only this reason.

Why is Roxy so eager to get this guy? Dax, Sekagya, Christianson, Bustamante, Lade, and appears to want to add Dan Metzger and Sean Davis all for defensive mid? Something has to give. 2 vets and 5 young kids that play the same position doesn't make much sense.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

For this reason, and only this reason.

Why is Roxy so eager to get this guy? Dax, Sekagya, Christianson, Bustamante, Lade, and appears to want to add Dan Metzger and Sean Davis all for defensive mid? Something has to give. 2 vets and 5 young kids that play the same position doesn't make much sense.

Goodbye Christianson and Bustamante.

I think it has more to do with the cap. Roxburgh realized how badly he fucked the cap this year. Signing homegrown players is the best way to circumvent the cap.

You know, other than signing complete tire fires like Eckersley, Armando, and Convey.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Well we r going to lose one guy in the expansion draft.

When two teams entered the expansion draft, if an expansion team picks a player lets say from rsl. A team like rsl would not lose any addiitional players.

That's if they keep the same rules.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

hahahaha...mls keeping the same rules...

hahahahahahaha

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Last 2-team expansion draft, teams COULD lose up to 2 players:

http://en.wikipedia....Expansion_Draft

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic