Collin wasnt the same after last season's injury

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY
I like this move, but let's not compare the guy to a former MLS Defender of the Year, unless you're strictly talking style-wise.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I like this move, but let's not compare the guy to a former MLS Defender of the Year, unless you're strictly talking style-wise.

I don't know anything about the new guy but comparing 2018 Collin to DOY Collin or even 2016 Collin is also pointless. It wouldn't be that difficult to be an improvement on Collin from the season that just ended, unfortunately he fell off a cliff this year.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Tarek is STRICTLY cover. nothing more nothing less. he's gonna get starts during the int'l windows that the starting backline will be called up for. he'll start during Gold Cup, I assume. At most, he's CB3 in the depth chart. this means that they'll sign 1 or 2 ex RBAcademy players to take up the developmental slots in the depth chart. need one more CB, gonna need 6 to compete in all the competitions we'll be involved in.

i absolutely love silly season. all this speculation for days on end. 

At this point I am not sure it is even good RB II signing. The guy is not a spring chicken - he is 26 years old, already in his prime, and so far failed in Columbus two years ago and was a back-up for one of the shittiest defenses in the MLS history this year. Now sure how anyone can get excited over this. There is a reason why Orlando traded him for peanuts in spite of low salary not taking international slot. We basically panicked after just losing Escobar, Collin, and Ndam, and got a warm body in. Not a terrible move as we didn't spend much, but there is a very low likelihood of being productive here either. Certainly not "godsend" as some here have grossly overreacted.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

You really forgot the year before we took Collin from them?

Collin had great credentials in MLS and the gamble there was his health and large salary. He worked great for one year and didn't do much for two others. Here we are talking about a guy who at 26 years old was a scrub on the worst defense in MLS and already failed in Columbus two years back. We got him for cheap to increase low number of CBs we have today, but I would expect much better 3d/4th CB rotation players before the new season begins.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Collin had great credentials in MLS and the gamble there was his health and large salary. He worked great for one year and didn't do much for two others. Here we are talking about a guy who at 26 years old was a scrub on the worst defense in MLS and already failed in Columbus two years back. We got him for cheap to increase low number of CBs we have today, but I would expect much better 3d/4th CB rotation players before the new season begins.

I agree that we shouldn't be too excited about this, though I'm hopeful that our staff saw something in him that didn't come out in Orlando or Columbus.   Long's resume before we got him wasn't any better.   Granted, he's older, but not much.   A lot of good players would have been lost in that Orlando shit show.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

At this point I am not sure it is even good RB II signing. The guy is not a spring chicken - he is 26 years old, already in his prime, and so far failed in Columbus two years ago and was a back-up for one of the shittiest defenses in the MLS history this year. Now sure how anyone can get excited over this. There is a reason why Orlando traded him for peanuts in spite of low salary not taking international slot. We basically panicked after just losing Escobar, Collin, and Ndam, and got a warm body in. Not a terrible move as we didn't spend much, but there is a very low likelihood of being productive here either. Certainly not "godsend" as some here have grossly overreacted.

People are excited to have some CB depth, no one is excited as if he is the second coming.

You do realize that when you have 4 nat team starting backs who need to be or will soon be getting paid big bucks that you can't afford highly proven back ups, right? This is a salary cap league and you have to roll the dice with some less than proven players when you have arguably the best CB tandem in MLS.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yeah yeah and DC United cut Kemar Lawrence.

Possible reasons why Orlando moved him for peanuts:

1. They suck at player evaluation and integrating talent

2. They decided to go scorched earth after such an awful season.

3. He did not match the tactics they plan on embracing going forward.

4. There was some sort of mismatch in his personality and that of the locker room/coaching staff.

5. He is bad at soccer.

We'll see. I've watched Barcelona and Bayern superstars absolutely fail here and I've watched English third-tier players succeed. I'm not expecting anything special from him, but you're going to have to come up with something better than "he played on a bad team and therefore he is bad."

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

We clinched the Supporters Shield against Orlando. How well did he play, if at all?

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

We clinched the Supporters Shield against Orlando. How well did he play, if at all?

Soccer is a team game. Good play by those around you help you look better and vice versa, if you are a CB that is under constant attack because your midfield or outside backs are sieves sooner or later you will look bad. Also winning and losing can be infectious, the mental stuff can cause a whole team to underperform. Basing a player's assessment on one game seems unproductive.

I have low expectations for Tarek, which leaves room to be pleasantly surprised.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Long story short he is an unknown. So we still need a reasonably priced known player to fill in cb#3.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Long story short he is an unknown. So we still need a reasonably priced known player to fill in cb#3.

He played more in MLS than Ndam or Long when we picked him up. He has played on a decent national team. He is not a complete unknown. 

We still need another #3 or 4 CB. Until anyone we pick up plays for us, assigning a ranking # is meaningless.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

judge for yourself

https://www.youtube....&feature=onebox

#3 is Tarek

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Literally nothing to complain about with this signing. We needed depth, we got it. 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Literally nothing to complain about with this signing. We needed depth, we got it. 

Exactly. Would be nice to get another CB into the mix as well with the potential of our starters getting called up. 

To be honest Orlando ha been such an afterthought in the past few years that it's so hard to evaluate any of their guys. Can't say I've watched many Orlando games the pat few years. Hope he can step in when called upon and provide serviceable cover. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users