4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

A MODEST PROPOSAL
by Calexico

I suggest we fuse two of our chants. People have brought up the TIJUANA WHORE chant in this thread. It's not PG, but as it strays into the realm of farce, I'm ok with it. However it presents us with an opportunity.

I'm too tired to deal with the cadence or rhythm, but I suggest replacing "Tijuana Whore" with "Sascha Klestjan."

Here's my reasoning - "Going Down" doesn't indicate any sort of gender bias. He might be going down on a chick, he might be going down on a dude. Even if he went down on a dude, it might be because he needs the money, or because he was really drunk and thought he might do some experimenting.

It does, however, indicate an predilection for subservience.

Also, we then remove actual prostitutes from the equation, which is only fair since they work a HELL of a lot harder than Klestjan did in the Confed Cup.

There, that's two years of post-grad rhetorical training put to good use.

Excellent!

That's exactly the kind of thing we should do...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#62 bardgal

bardgal

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:31 AM

I also agree with CALEXICO! Very well said.

Josh - I think your idea about Sascha losing the gold is BRILLIANT and a WAY BETTER CHANT. However, I don't get how not using the word "gay" as a slur morphed into anyone shoving "morality" down anyone's throat. It's offensive - it has nothing to do with morality.

And lynchings are bad. Period. I don't care who is at the end of the rope.

Bastards, however, are funny as hell. Just ask Eddie Izzard.
Zidane, veuillez venir le jeu pour la Galaxy!

Ná glac pioc comhairle gan comhairle ban.

I'll trying being nicer, if you try being smarter.

#63 BuggerOff

BuggerOff

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Global Domination and Napping
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

Tommy uses the squad as his very own social experiment. He comes on here preaching anarchy and goes on about how we do and say what we want, but then lashes out and puts a stop to it. Let the people decide what they feel is offensive, you dont need Tommy to be your nanny. Everyone needs to think for themselves. I personally think the Sasha chant is stupid. Not because it may be offensive to gay people, but because its childish. I dont participate, just like I dont sing the stupid "worlds greatest soccer team" chant.

In my opinion, Tommy is not part of the Squad. He is in place to communicate to the sheep, if the sheep are in check, then the flock is an anarchist mob that answers to no one. When someone thinks they have crossed the line, they send in Tommy "union delegate" Mack to "open up dialogue".

I say do what you want, if what you want is out of line, then the level headed majority will (on its own) take care of it. Its the 4th of July, go be proud of something!

Mood Music

#64 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

You guys should really read Josh's posts...

There's a million ways in which this "situation" could have been tackled. None of them included announcing your own personal crusade against something and your declaration that we, as a squad, under your supreme rule, will now stop something altogether because you decided it as such.

Of all people, I appreciate what you do for the squad as much if not more than most, Tommy, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to be a dick (no paradoxes there), and certainly not to attempt to lead the squad in anything other than football related items.

You can have pretty much anything you want, Tommy, but you have to ask me nicely.

But because I dont' care much for that chant, and because I like you, I took the liberty of giving this another shot. HERE.

Do with this thread as you will.

#65 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Josh - I think your idea about Sascha losing the gold is BRILLIANT and a WAY BETTER CHANT.

Andric's idea, but ya, totally.

However, I don't get how not using the word "gay" as a slur morphed into anyone shoving "morality" down anyone's throat. It's offensive - it has nothing to do with morality.

Right, you are morally opposed to it. Others are not. You are very aggressive about making sure others fall in line with your morals on this subject, and I'm trying to make it a smoother ride by suggesting an alternate approach that will get a less hostile reaction.

#66 TommyMack

TommyMack

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Well, as least I was right that I was "going to catch hell for this"! ;-)

I think people from all sides have had a chance to vent their spleens... some thoughtful, some very inane. But right or wrong, it's all there for everyone to see.

Isaac has started a relevant thread regarding the two chants (and ultimately, that's what this whole thing is about).

Cheers,

Tommy Mack
President of the Galaxians

#67 bardgal

bardgal

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Andric's idea, but ya, totally.

Right, you are morally opposed to it. Others are not. You are very aggressive about making sure others fall in line with your morals on this subject, and I'm trying to make it a smoother ride by suggesting an alternate approach that will get a less hostile reaction.

Well, I guess if not insulting, offending, or hurting others are "my morals", then guilty. "Aggressive" that others "fall in line?" You really don't know me at all.

Do what you want. Say what you want. Everyone has a choice. I don't have to like it, or people who are dicks.
Zidane, veuillez venir le jeu pour la Galaxy!

Ná glac pioc comhairle gan comhairle ban.

I'll trying being nicer, if you try being smarter.

#68 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

It says a lot more about the people who choose to use U R GAY than about anything else.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#69 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

EDITED: For civility.

The final point I think is that this isn't congress, the social issues debate forum or a LGBT support group. We've addressed the chant elsewhere already. Stop bickering. And close this thread.

I really hope it wasn't reopened so people could get their last shots in.

#70 -stagnant-

-stagnant-

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • Supports:The guy from Illinois

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX
'There's sublime pleasure in displeasure'

#71 prrnrngr

prrnrngr

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:The LA galaxy, The Sox, The DC5
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Boston Red Sox

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

How do we know the chant 'hey so and so nice ass!' Is not crossing the line? The player we are harassing could have been raped as a child by an older relative, who would also tell him he had a nice ass. Thanks to us, the Riot Squad, he is now having horrible flash backs to those events. Just a thought. I demand silence in 138 and 137!

#72 LFC1892

LFC1892

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Supports:G's, 'Pool, Hoops, Bayern, Fleet

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot...CA/s320/Enuff Z

I demand an apology from everyone on this board who berates Italians because I am 1/4 Italian.

I also demand an apology from everyone, including myself, for chanting the bastard chant, because both of my adopted sons are "bastards."

PC Squad, We Love All
Oh, oh
PC Squad, We Love All
Oh, oh
PC Squad, We Love All
Love You Significant Other, and Drink Your Adult-Themed Beverage
Oh, We are the PC Squad

#73 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:07 AM

Who let this WOP post here.

#74 projectx

projectx

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

I really hope it wasn't reopened so people could get their last shots in.

It was. The only reason it's still open now is because it would've been to obvious to close it right back up.

#75 andric

andric

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

Just for the record I hate everyone.
------------------------------------------------------
"Chad Barrett was totally angry when he was subbed out. I think he was angry that he was Chad Barrett." - Chalky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users