827 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

This should have been a blowout by the time ...

How many times has a post began this way?
How many more times to come?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

How many times has a post began this way?
How many more times to come?

If I knew the secret of how to prevent professional soccer players from blowing ~8 open scoring opportunities in 90 minutes I wouldn't be giving it away for free.

Maybe when they sign another goal-scoring winger? Its been a few years since having both Grella and Sam able to reliably put the ball in the net.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Let's not be hyperbolic.

We had 3-4 good to very good chances (Royer's obviously being the best) in a 90 minute game against a team that was bunkering and countering.  There was a TON of aimless possession, lackadaisical behavior in the final third and just lack of quality on the finishing end.  A draw may have been a fair result yesterday.  We love to take very low quality shots and then after the game scream about how we had double digit shots on goal.  75-80% of those shots aren't a threat to anyone.  That's also a pretty big problem.

I have no idea why more teams don't park the bus against us.  It's a strategy Marsch has been unable to solve.  I also feel like I've seen this exact game 20 times in the past 3+ years.

"3-4 good to very good chances" is great. Not sure what you are complaining about. The team played some decent ball, and was unlucky to not come away with the victory (if you want to see pointless possession check out NYCFC against Portland this past weekend)  The xG was 2.45 to 1.19. We limited Chicago to a crazy golazo and a PK due to Long's only mistake of the day. That's it. 

Somebody on twitter posted the following. Our record in all competitions is 6W; 2D; 5L. We have 22 GF and 11GA. All five losses were by one goal. We are fine and have been a bit unlucky so far. This is a great team that nobody wants to face. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Somebody on twitter posted the following. Our record in all competitions is 6W; 2D; 5L. We have 22 GF and 11GA. All five losses were by one goal. We are fine and have been a bit unlucky so far. This is a great team that nobody wants to face. 

Sure, at least in the regular season.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

"This is a great team that nobody wants to face. 

You keep telling yourself that while bad teams are taking points away from scary bulls.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Sure, at least in the regular season.

We almost defeated TFC last year, which is arguably the best team in MLS history. We went to the semis of CCL and should have beaten Chivas. This team is legit, guys. I know we've had some hiccups so far, but we are a good team. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Good teams don't almost win.  They actually win.

#RedBullOut

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Sorry can't believe we are to good for any trophy.

But if Marsch fails to bring one home this year he is 0-8 over the past 2 years, 1-12 over the past 3 years. He has to go if he fails.

The Supporters Shield in 2018 is as valuable as the Atlantic Cup.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The Supporters Shield in 2018 is as valuable as the Atlantic Cup.

Didn't realize the Atlantic Cup got us into champions league. 

#RedBullOut

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

I'll take the Supporter's Shield every year.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

We almost defeated TFC last year, which is arguably the best team in MLS history. We went to the semis of CCL and should have beaten Chivas. This team is legit, guys. I know we've had some hiccups so far, but we are a good team. 

I don't disagree. I think that we're good, that we've been unlucky so far, that we will comfortably make the playoffs, and that we will struggle again in big games in the cup and the playoffs when it comes to that. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

This year's Supporter Shield wouldn't guarantee us an entry into next year's CCL.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

This year's Supporter Shield wouldn't guarantee us an entry into next year's CCL.

It would help, as our poor overall finish last season leaves us 21 points behind BoyCity in the aggregate standings, albeit with 5 games in hand.
https://en.m.wikiped..._and_2018_table

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Neither do. That's why I specified 2018 SS. 2019 CCL entries go to the 2017 and 2018 Open Cup winners, the 2018 MLS Cup winner, and the team with the best aggregate record over 2017 and 2018. We're basically already out of that race.

The 2019 SS will be worth something. This year's is just a big paperweight.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I don't disagree. I think that we're good, that we've been unlucky so far, that we will comfortably make the playoffs, and that we will struggle again in big games in the cup and the playoffs when it comes to that. 

But our recent performances in knockout games and in the playoffs were good. We have a +11 goal differential in all competitions in 2018. That's really solid. All five losses have been only by 1 goal. I know our history means we should be pessimistic, but I don't see any reason why we should be for this group. Plus, we actually solved the biggest weakness of the past two seasons since Miazga left: CB.  I feel really good. If BWP stays healthy, we'll make waves. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users