UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

What is your basis for this opinion?

Yeah, as much as I can't stand our current administration, I also can't think of any country who's for certain responding the right way at this point. All we know is a couple like Iran and Italy that for certain got it wrong. Even looking at numbers in China, the scale of the population means you need to move the decimal point around just to put numbers in perspective for the rest of the world. Too early to judge at this point.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Due to its extreme popularity, the National Football League can survive anything. And the National Football League has lucked out, because the offseason is well underway. Lack of spectators means lack of revenue. I can only hope that Major League Soccer will survive this tragedy.

1230506127115143718.jpg

I kinda feel for the XFL. They are trying to get off the ground.. and this happens?

Boy, did the NFL ever luck out.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I kinda feel for the XFL. They are trying to get off the ground.. and this happens?

Boy, did the NFL ever luck out.

It's a shame cause the XFL has actually been really entertaining and it's great that it provides more jobs and opportunities for players and staff of the teams.

NFL would have lost a lot of money but they could still easily afford to miss out on a season if they had too.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This article lays it out well.  Basically, the issue is that we have hundreds of millions of people (both insured and uninsured) in this country who will  hesitant to get tested for the virus because it could very likely cost them money personally.  In countries with universal healthcare, this is not an issue.  It is much easier to convince people in other systems that there will be no cost to them and that it is in their interest to get tested as soon as possible.  In China, the government can simply say that no one can be charged for the testing.  In Italy and South Korea, they have universal healthcare and it is free. 

This is before you take into consideration things like paid sick leave, which the United States lacks and makes it far more likely that people will go to their work while sick and transmit it to everyone else.  The United States is easily the worst positioned advanced economy to deal with a pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/...irus/index.html

The lawyer at the center of the New Rochelle cluster had good health insurance.  I'm not sure health insurance would prevent the disease from spreading.  Paid sick leave could be the big problem here in the US, where millions of workers can not afford to take time off and/or have jobs that don't allow them to work from home.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
So the NCAA just said they are doing all the tournaments behind closed doors, absolutely wild. Gotta imagine that every other major league will follow them now and either do the same or postpone more games.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

So the NCAA just said they are doing all the tournaments behind closed doors, absolutely wild. Gotta imagine that every other major league will follow them now and either do the same or postpone more games.

Yea the NCAA's move is huge. All that lost gate revenue for them.

I can't see how they limit fans at NCAA games and not in other leagues.

Can you imagine NHL playoffs without fans?

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
RB need to be investigated. They somehow knew this would be happening or else they would have signed someone to bring butts to the seats...

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
MLS has cancelled the Seattle-Dallas game on March 21.

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

They just might lift the Stanley Cup in front of imaginary fans.

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts

The one bright spot about this miserable Devils season is that I don't have to worry about missing any playoff games.

I would rather see the games be played behind closed doors than not played at all though.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This article lays it out well.  Basically, the issue is that we have hundreds of millions of people (both insured and uninsured) in this country who will  hesitant to get tested for the virus because it could very likely cost them money personally.  In countries with universal healthcare, this is not an issue.  It is much easier to convince people in other systems that there will be no cost to them and that it is in their interest to get tested as soon as possible.  In China, the government can simply say that no one can be charged for the testing.  In Italy and South Korea, they have universal healthcare and it is free. 

This is before you take into consideration things like paid sick leave, which the United States lacks and makes it far more likely that people will go to their work while sick and transmit it to everyone else.  The United States is easily the worst positioned advanced economy to deal with a pandemic.

https://www.cnn.com/...irus/index.html

Having visited a health facility today and talking to multiple staff, the biggest issue is lack of available test kits. This location advised folks with symptoms NOT to enter and only certain health systems had the staff and test kits to serve possible patients. Therefore the biggest issue is folks simply arent likely to get tested which further spreads an already very contagious disease.

I paid $200 for a regular flu test earlier this year. I am sure costs are part of it since had I known the price, I doubt I would have gotten it. Not much you can do to treat outside fluids and rest anyway.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
NBA suspending season.
https://nypost.com/2...or-coronavirus/
Teammate Emmanuel Mudiay also reported +.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

NBA suspending season.
https://nypost.com/2...or-coronavirus/

It is inevitable MLS will do the same in short order.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

It is inevitable MLS will do the same in short order.

Waiting until a player tests positive?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I see youre appreciating the job our President is doing.

Thank you for being a great American.

The government got caught with their pants down. They saw what was happening and they could have immediately decided on travel restrictions, the build out of emergency medical facilities, the ordering of thousands of additional respirators, and most importantly test kits.

The test kits is the worst part because STILL right now today we have no way of accurately tracking and containing.

This is not only coming from me. This is coming from a good friend of mine who runs his own virology lab for Harvard University. And for everyone here he believes it will be at least another 30-80 days before we reach the peak of the corona virus impact. Thats assuming the government can actually get their shit together. It will be much longer if the delay in testing persists.

China is building hospitals overnight. South Korea is pumping out thousands of tests a day. Jesus fucking Christ we built an entire war machine to beat the nazis overnight but we cant handle THIS???

Anyway, be mindful everyone. Especially as it concerns the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users