28 replies to this topic

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Do you seriously believe that's how it went down?

No, how it went down was that Mike didn't have a chance in hell to begin with. Their minds were made up as early as last summer when they inquired about Porter and Berhalter. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

No, how it went down was that Mike didn't have a chance in hell to begin with. Their minds were made up as early as last summer when they inquired about Porter and Berhalter. 

That turned out to be b.s..  Curtis basically said as much.  Clearly he wouldn't be completely honest about specific names even if he did, but he basically said that they were interested in nobody else other than Marsch.

If he did talk to other people, he would have said something along the lines of "We conducted a search for our next head coach" but he was pretty resolute in saying that Marsch was the guy.

Names like Porter and Berhalter made no sense anyway.

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

That turned out to be b.s..  Curtis basically said as much.  Clearly he wouldn't be completely honest about specific names even if he did, but he basically said that they were interested in nobody else other than Marsch.

Again, just a reminder, people lie. You don't outright say "yeah, he's our fourth choice"

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Again, just a reminder, people lie. You don't outright say "yeah, he's our fourth choice"

I added to what I said in that post.  Yes, people lie, but they choose words differently.  

Those names mentioned at the time made no sense anyway from any perspective.

Curtis also isn't going to lie about something like that when Marsch is sitting right next to him and can find out the truth.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think its more Marsch's system than Perrinelle himself. With how much defending our front 6 do, our CB's basically don't have to do much else other clean up counter attacks, we're rarely under sustained pressure. I think if you took a guy like Sekagya or even Armando they'd look much better in Marsch's system than they did last year.

Perinelle is just so far less error prone than Sekagya was.  Sekagya was guaranteed to make one mistake that led to a good scoring chance a game.  Kind of like Dax right now except Dax's good outweighs the bad.

Petke's call on Perrinelle was as much about style as it was anything else - the same reason Petke didn't rate Big Swede.   Mike likes loud, in-your-face guys, Marsch and Ali like more cerebral guys.   Also, the high press does take away a big part of the work load and opportunity for error, but sooner or later we will see if the inevitable increase in counters against us will be too much for the slow-footed Frenchman.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Petke's call on Perrinelle was as much about style as it was anything else - the same reason Petke didn't rate Big Swede.   Mike likes loud, in-your-face guys, Marsch and Ali like more cerebral guys.   Also, the high press does take away a big part of the work load and opportunity for error, but sooner or later we will see if the inevitable increase in counters against us will be too much for the slow-footed Frenchman.    

Yeah, I seen you mention that before and thought it was a very good observation.

Only issue I have with it is that Seka was pretty chill by nature.  And for a bit I assumed that Perinelle wasn't very physical but the more you watch, it's clear that the guy is plenty physical.  Perhaps too physical at times.  

And it's not like Sekagya was fleet a foot either.

It was an honest mistake from what I can tell.  By Fraser and Petke.

As I had said pretty clearly in different threads over the time Perinelle was here, the guy knew how to anticipate and those instincts carried him.  If I could see it in the lowly couple of games that he played, I don't know why the coaching staff didn't see it as well.  He's slow, but he had that going for him and that's the reason he's a good player.  I didn't count on him also being EXTREMELY accurate offensively when the ball finds his head.  A lot of good chances from corners seem to come from him.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

He may know how to coach it better - time will tell - but 3 time All Star Mike Petke was the better player.

And I know it had nothing to do with Mike's interviewing skills, because he was never interviewed.    Curtis fired him before Mike was ever even given a chance to hear or buy into "the plan."  Curtis had his power-point savvy, elite-school cubicle buddy lined up for the job from the get go.

My opinion is gonna be unpopular, but Jesse Marsch was a very, very good and underrated player. Petke did what he did very well - a great man marker, strong in the air, got up on corner kicks and knocked a few in. And a hell of a teammate.

Marsch was the kind of deep lying midfielder that gives a team real strength down the middle. His play freed up Peter Nowak to do real damage as a playmaker for some great Chicago teams. Marsch had no flash to his game, but in my book he was a terrific, unheralded player.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

hated him as a player, chicago got the best of us most of the time.  

the reason why i understand as to why the high press works is mentioned above by a previous poster. remember, defenders in this league aren't amazing, they are mostly decent enough at defending, some are pretty fast, some good in the air, but look outright avg or worse when trying to pass out of the back when pressured. it's why i'm still pissed that we lost at Saputo Stadium a couple of yrs ago. they had our hands tied by just applying pressure. we are definitely a playoff team if we stick with this system. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I feel like I'm talking to Joe Benigno sometimes on these boards.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

I feel like I'm talking to Joe Benigno sometimes on these boards.

And we feel like we're talking to Mike Francesa when we talk to you. The fuck's your point?

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

It's not "Petke vs Marsch" like most people want to think or believe is the case.  I have been very vocal on how I don't like Jesse, I didn't like him as a player, I always thought he was a pompous douche...And his "energy drink" comment still makes my blood boil and I still don't "like" him.. BUT  It isn't Jesse's fault that Mike was fired. I don't like Jesse because he isn't Mike Petke? YES.  Am I blind to see that Jesse actually is doing a pretty good job with this team, who to be honest, I thought (and kind of hoped) would be shit, especially after losing Henry? NO. This team is undefeated, and it isn't by accident.  

The problems I have with RB itself doesn't mean I can't see what's happening.  Beating DC convincingly and coming back from 2-0 at RFK, makes me smile from ear to ear... It's just hidden by my disdain for our owners.. 

Soy Del Metro Carajo

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

IamMetro

IamMetro

The Alpha and Omega

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars, Real Madrid CF, USMNT
The only game this season that looked legit to me was the first DC game. We tied a shitty Colorado team. We tied an always slow season starting Galaxy team. I think this system is going to get shut down soon if it hasn't begun already. Our midfield is screwed if anyone one of those guys gets injured. That high pressure shit is gonna make this shitty backline bleed goals. I can see game ending with 3 or 4 goals against. It will happen. A September or October Galaxy or Columbus team would have put a knife to throat of this team. Just because we haven't lost doesn't mean that Marsch is a genius. After all Juan Carlos Osorio took us all the way to the final agaisnt Columbus. And hell we have a game here on MetroFanatic about fucking up lineups dedicated to the guy.
Jonny G/MoSeS- "As "MetroFanatic" has said, this message board system is for mature conversation. If you have nothing to say, then don't say anything."
Jonny G/MoSeS- "I never wrote that! This is plagiarism (Sp?)."

"When the seagulls... follow the trawler... it's because they think... sardines will be thrown... into the sea". - Éric Cantona

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The only game this season that looked legit to me was the first DC game. We tied a shitty Colorado team. We tied an always slow season starting Galaxy team. I think this system is going to get shut down soon if it hasn't begun already. Our midfield is screwed if anyone one of those guys gets injured. That high pressure shit is gonna make this shitty backline bleed goals. I can see game ending with 3 or 4 goals against. It will happen. A September or October Galaxy or Columbus team would have put a knife to throat of this team. Just because we haven't lost doesn't mean that Marsch is a genius. After all Juan Carlos Osorio took us all the way to the final agaisnt Columbus. And hell we have a game here on MetroFanatic about fucking up lineups dedicated to the guy.

At the end of the day, our talent is probably in the bottom half of the league. When the players buy into the system and you have depth, you can overcome the talent gap. However, such an up-tempo, winning style of soccer will take its toll without proper rotation.

Before the apologists come out in full force, I know we are undefeated and am not saying we are doomed.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

At the end of the day, our talent is probably in the bottom half of the league.

Can you please elaborate on this? I don't understand.

Our defense is definitely unproven and would't really be highly rated by most observers... but Miazga is one of the hotest defensive prospects in the league. Roy Miller is (controversially) the best LB in the league in my opinion. But sure, our defense is a weak spot, ok?

Our midfield is beast. Objectively, we have one of the best midfields in MLS. There is no arguing this. 

Lloyd Sam is one of the best wide attacking players in the league

BWP is a top quality MLS target forward

WTF are you talking about? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users