JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund | Everton | Fulham | Barca
  • Supports:MetroStars

FMR:

Interesting stuff from Meola here on the latest ETR prodcast -- check out minute 55-on... he recaps how the trade went down in '99, and it's pretty crazy.

https://www.mlssocce...s-soccer-legend

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,219 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

that 1st game back for him with KC on that Wednesday.

was like a Dice Clay impersonator audition.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,389 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Crazy story.

Bora made them watch Rocky V then told him they wouldnt trade him. Meanwhile, Meola was still pissed about the Vermes trade from a season or two ago. Same day, he hears on the radio that he was traded to KC and was pissed and wanted to retire rather than go to KC, which he ended up loving and being very successful there. Stated his wife convinced him to move and that had he not been traded back to Metro, he would have likely stayed in KC.

Outside this interview: Vermes' trade was one of the original stories I heard when I worked for the club as a "cautionary tale" about doing well and performing. Vermes would do anything and everything Metro asked him to do, including working weekends and driving hours to do interviews, unpaid. When the team traded him, players were stunned and furious, many asked to be traded as well. They traded him for Kerry Zavagnin, who was just drafted and not a highly touted prospect. Kerry was awful here before turning his career around and being a USMNT regular while back in KC. There was a Jeff Bradley (original PR Director for Metro) interview that went into some of this, but cannot locate it.
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Crazy story.

Bora made them watch Rocky V then told him they wouldnt trade him. Meanwhile, Meola was still pissed about the Vermes trade from a season or two ago. Same day, he hears on the radio that he was traded to KC and was pissed and wanted to retire rather than go to KC, which he ended up loving and being very successful there. Stated his wife convinced him to move and that had he not been traded back to Metro, he would have likely stayed in KC.

Outside this interview: Vermes' trade was one of the original stories I heard when I worked for the club as a "cautionary tale" about doing well and performing. Vermes would do anything and everything Metro asked him to do, including working weekends and driving hours to do interviews, unpaid. When the team traded him, players were stunned and furious, many asked to be traded as well. They traded him for Kerry Zavagnin, who was just drafted and not a highly touted prospect. Kerry was awful here before turning his career around and being a USMNT regular while back in KC. There was a Jeff Bradley (original PR Director for Metro) interview that went into some of this, but cannot locate it.

Brian, you forgot the part about winning the cup with bunch of rejects no mls team wanted. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users