120 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If you are a young payer with talent and you have watched some of the defensive performances from Lade, Duncan, and Murillo, then I think you can come in with the confidence that you are going to win a job.

If it's that simple, why isn't it happening? Where are these young starting quality internationals clamoring to be a fourth string MLS fullback? Domestically that player pool is USL, and Nealis is proof that its not always a seamless transition.

There are still some realities of life in MLS that we can't ignore here. There's a salary cap. There's a million other roster rules driving parity. Our calendar falls during international tournaments. We're not a destination league internationally. No MLS team is 4-5 deep at every position, it just doesn't happen.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,105 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Craziest part is the consequence from one poor second half in the past few months.

If we held onto the win, we would be in second place with a game in hand on Philly. Now we sit in 5th and questioning if we have enough pieces to get into the playoffs.
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If it's that simple, why isn't it happening?.

Because we are terribly mismanaged.

Tymatt

Tymatt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls/MetroStars
First off I really hope Amro Tarek is ok, we’re going to need him. Once again Lade and Nealis let us down, the minute I saw Tarek come off and then Ilsinho come on I knew we were in trouble. While we could’ve put away a chance or two in the 2nd half you can say the same thing about philly in the first half. It was a rough night and we need DH and CA to learn from this defeat to fix up our reserve depth in the backline this summer. Even with the salary cap it is possible to have a solid enough 4th Cb and good enough outside back depth. We need to start playing CCJR in the central midfield. Marc keeps giving the ball away every time he gets it and Jamir monteiro tore him up all night, if this team is all about youth it’s time to play him before marsch and Salzburg take him. If we don’t play him we need a new cm/cdm this summer along with an outside back and a 4th cb, not to add one more option to get it done on the wing because muyl isn’t cutting it and royer has been mad inconsistent. We have Fernandez but I still feel we need one more option on the wing. I hope we regroup Tuesday and win in the open cup, I’ll be there as I was in philly. Love my club.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Because we are terribly mismanaged.

Who are the 4th and 5th defenders on other MLS teams that you think would be an improvement on what we have?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Who are the 4th and 5th defenders on other MLS teams that you think would be an improvement on what we have?

Why are we signing 4th and 5th defenders? Why from MLS?

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Why are we signing 4th and 5th defenders? Why from MLS?

If the argument is that our 4th and 5th defenders aren't good enough because we're mismanaged, then who are the players that other, presumably better-managed, MLS teams have in those slots that are better than what we have?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

If the argument is that our 4th and 5th defenders aren't good enough because we're mismanaged, then who are the players that other, presumably better-managed, MLS teams have in those slots that are better than what we have?

If I knew where to find the player(s) we need then I would be applying for a job at RBNY.

Good young players with potential to challenge our starters are out there. Its Red Bulls job to find them. They did well to get Duncan in. We need another. Maybe Milo can dig one up for us.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,161 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

didnt hear anything from the philly fans ... able to hear the traveling support numerous times over them.  

First time I heard the SOBs was after our Can You Hear Philly Sing chant. We need to let sleeping dogs lie.
Away fans came through often on the broadcast.
PU fans finally woke up after their goals.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,161 posts

3rd goal BY FAR THE WORST . Sliding with ur hdnd up?

At the game, thought the play was offside.
Watching the replay, looked like Parker kept it onside by drifting behind the defensive line.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts

3rd goal BY FAR THE WORST . Sliding with ur hdnd up ?

I honestly can't blame him for this one. Its entirely possible that your hand can be away from your body with zero intent to play the ball or "make yourself big" like a keeper would. These calls are a pet peeve of him, they drive me insane even when they're in our favor.

The criteria for handball in this sport is a total mess. There are 4 or 5 elements, all of which can happen totally independent of each other, that don't appear to be ranked in any way. More than any other call in the game a handball is just whatever the ref decides it is that day.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,161 posts

handball is just whatever the ref decides it is that day.

AFAIK, the bottom hand is OK, top hand not.
https://www.google.c...nto-effect/amp/

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

I honestly can't blame him for this one. Its entirely possible that your hand can be away from your body with zero intent to play the ball or "make yourself big" like a keeper would. These calls are a pet peeve of him, they drive me insane even when they're in our favor.

The criteria for handball in this sport is a total mess. There are 4 or 5 elements, all of which can happen totally independent of each other, that don't appear to be ranked in any way. More than any other call in the game a handball is just whatever the ref decides it is that day.

Could not agree more.  The only time I hate how it's called is extremely strict.  Some refs will call anything that hits a hand and that's a joke.  Defenders shouldn't ever have to get into a defensive position with their hands behind their back.  If things are being called that strict, then something's wrong.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts

AFAIK, the bottom hand is OK, top hand not.
https://www.google.c...nto-effect/amp/

Good lord we're lucky anyone even tries to shoot the ball anymore, I'd spend all 90 minutes trying to flick the ball at the defenders arm.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

I'd spend all 90 minutes trying to flick the ball at the defenders arm.

Pretty sure weve tried that tactic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users