• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
So, does poor RSL get our B-squad again for tomorrow night or will we trot out a respectable 1st team representation with some trialists mixed in?

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Starters 90 minutes, no subs.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Starters 90 minutes, no subs.

More likely starter/reserve split squad to start then add in the rest of the starters for the 2nd half. Vuolo is definitely playing since Meara had surgery to fix his snoz last night.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

More likely starter/reserve split squad to start then add in the rest of the starters for the 2nd half. Vuolo is definitely playing since Meara had surgery to fix his snoz last night.

Hack, G was beating the sub dead horse.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Hack, G was beating the sub dead horse.

I know he was kidding around. I'm not that dense :)

You would think this is the last time Backe would get a good look at the trialist but wasn't the roster deadline last night? All the teams had to turn in their final rosters to the league.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

You would think this is the last time Backe would get a good look at the trialist but wasn't the roster deadline last night? All the teams had to turn in their final rosters to the league.

I think you have to be roster compliant in terms of not being over the limits, but you are not limited from adding if you room under the cap, # of senior spots, etc.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

I think you have to be roster compliant in terms of not being over the limits, but you are not limited from adding if you room under the cap, # of senior spots, etc.

Exactly.

It's not a dead horse until Backe actually uses subs appropriately.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Marvelleous

Marvelleous

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

Roster compliance was last night. If you had more the 30 players you had to make cuts and bring it down to the final number. This is from MLS:

"The deadline for all Major League Soccer clubs to be roster compliant is today at 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday. While a club may continue to add or release players from its roster or training camp, the club’s official roster – players under contract - must remain within the MLS roster guidelines."

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Exactly.

It's not a dead horse until Backe actually uses subs appropriately.

While I happen to agree with you in terms of what I would do if coach, if he wins it all I don't care if he never uses a sub. They don't give out Cups for style points.

Results determine what is appropriate.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

While I happen to agree with you in terms of what I would do if coach, if he wins it all I don't care if he never uses a sub. They don't give out Cups for style points.

Results determine what is appropriate.

I couldn't disagree with that more in any sport.

Stupid is stupid even if you get away with it. When Bellicheck went for it on 4th down at his own 28 yard line with a lead and 2 mintues to go against the Colts, he got stopped. It was a stupid call. If the RB had gotten 1/2 a yard more it would have been a 1st down, would that have made it a smart call? No. It was a bad call regardless of the result.

Anyway, it's pre-season, are you really looking for results? I'm not.

This is a veteran team with a lot of players around 30. It's a very long MLS season with tons of travel because of the lay out of the USA. I don't want my guys keeling over in the summer because they were pushed to the brink early on, especially in pre-season.

Would it have killed Hans to let Jhonny Artega have a run out for 20 minutes with a 2-0 lead. Henry was training and playing with Arsenal this winter. Do we really think he's not in shape? DJ Solli was busting his butt up and down the wing all game long, let our young American talent (the kid from the 3rd division), have a run out for the last 10 minutes because Solli was hunched over grabbing his shorts.

I saw Arena, who's a much better coach, use plenty of his subs......as does every other coach.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Would it have killed Hans to let Jhonny Artega have a run out for 20 minutes with a 2-0 lead. Henry was training and playing with Arsenal this winter. Do we really think he's not in shape? DJ Solli was busting his butt up and down the wing all game long, let our young American talent (the kid from the 3rd division), have a run out for the last 10 minutes because Solli was hunched over grabbing his shorts.

i agree. but i'll have to wait and see against RSL. if henry and solli got the full 90 again, then we know he hasn't learned his lesson.

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Or we could stop putting so much stock in what he does during pre-season and wait until the first actual game to decide what he has or hasn't learned.

Marvelleous

Marvelleous

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

Stupid is stupid even if you get away with it. When Bellicheck went for it on 4th down at his own 28 yard line with a lead and 2 mintues to go against the Colts, he got stopped. It was a stupid call. If the RB had gotten 1/2 a yard more it would have been a 1st down, would that have made it a smart call? No. It was a bad call regardless of the result.

This is a veteran team with a lot of players around 30. It's a very long MLS season with tons of travel because of the lay out of the USA. I don't want my guys keeling over in the summer because they were pushed to the brink early on, especially in pre-season.

I saw Arena, who's a much better coach, use plenty of his subs......as does every other coach.

Right now Hans objective is to get everyone match fit. You don't get match fit without playing 90 minutes of soccer. Henry got a good workout with Arsenal, but he hardly played 90 minutes. Need proof that they need the exercise, look at what happened against LA around 75 minutes. I do agree that during the season he needs to make subs, but right now, everyone needs to work.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

So who determines what is stupid? You? Why not me? Why not the coach? Stupid is a subjective adjective.

Should all coaches play by the same playbook?

Stupid brought us Lindpere, Rodgers, Solli, etc in the first place. You can't separate out some and call them smart and others and call them stupid. You have to take all the decisions in aggregate and look at what it produces.

In aggregate, Arena has proven to be a better coach, but Bruce sure made a number of stupid decisions when he coached us, and he didn't get us the results he has gotten others. "Dumb" Hans has produced better results for us than Bruce, but those don't count because you don't like his style.

And of course I was talking about the regular season.

Like I said, if it were me I would sub more. But it is easy for you and I do to armchair coaching because we don't have to take responsibility for our decisions. Hans does, so I'll let him have his final year and then roast the sh... out of him if he doesn't deliver.

BTW, it may be more important to Hans to foster some understanding between Henry and Cooper before the season starts, and the rest of the first team for that matter since he was out for the first half of the preseason, than getting another 20 minute peek at Arteaga. With Rodgers and Agudelo out it is critical that those two know how to play off each other, but yeah, sub Henry like clockwork because that's what the manual says smart coaches should do.

CrazyG

CrazyG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:Soccer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls / NY Red Bulls II

So who determines what is stupid? You? Why not me? Why not the coach? Stupid is a subjective adjective.

Should all coaches play by the same playbook?

Stupid brought us Lindpere, Rodgers, Solli, etc in the first place. You can't separate out some and call them smart and others and call them stupid. You have to take all the decisions in aggregate and look at what it produces.

In aggregate, Arena has proven to be a better coach, but Bruce sure made a number of stupid decisions when he coached us, and he didn't get us the results he has gotten others. "Dumb" Hans has produced better results for us than Bruce, but those don't count because you don't like his style.

And of course I was talking about the regular season.

Like I said, if it were me I would sub more. But it is easy for you and I do to armchair coaching because we don't have to take responsibility for our decisions. Hans does, so I'll let him have his final year and then roast the sh... out of him if he doesn't deliver.

BTW, it may be more important to Hans to foster some understanding between Henry and Cooper before the season starts, and the rest of the first team for that matter since he was out for the first half of the preseason, than getting another 20 minute peek at Arteaga. With Rodgers and Agudelo out it is critical that those two know how to play off each other, but yeah, sub Henry like clockwork because that's what the manual says smart coaches should do.

VOR - don't bother using common sense with NY fans...These are the same people that would have hung both Eli and Coughlin in effigy outside Metlife long ago! :)+

Its just a waist of time and energy. :cool:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users