68 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Let's be honest here, yeah it was nice to get a couple of Shields, to win something for a change, but all that means is that you are top seed for play-offs, where the real trophy will be awarded. Not having it awarded makes very little difference. It was replaced by another trophy that doesn't count for much, MLS is Back. No harm done.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Bedoya agrees and even says MLS should get rid of it. Wouldn't surprise me if MLS decided to finally make their own trophy so they could be in control of it now...

https://twitter.com/...2016616449?s=19

Agree. Its always been an unbalanced schedule and our players have put their health on the line this year. Fans are still supporting their teams and more than some random committee which no one knew existed. Perhaps its time MLS casts the Supporters Shield into the shadows.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The players clearly care about it.

This was a wrong decision... although it would be pretty funny if the Worms don't get it.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
Vanney is so angry he cant get a trophy for beating up on Montreal and Vancouver over and over again.

He's gotten spoiled by the Canadian Championship.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Vanney is so angry he cant get a trophy for beating up on Montreal and Vancouver over and over again.

He's gotten spoiled by the Canadian Championship.

Well, that is also true! Counting Toronto as a "treble" winner for winning that cupcake is completely absurd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
This is the wrong decision. Big time.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The players clearly care about it.

This was a wrong decision... although it would be pretty funny if the Worms don't get it.

Henry was always pretty open that the Shield was the trophy he cared most about

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Looks like they are realizing they made the wrong decision after all the blowback lol...

https://twitter.com/...9268602880?s=19

The Supporters' Shield Foundation board would like to provide an update:

We are currently holding meetings with supporter group representatives about the original decision in light of new information and feedback we have received.

A public update will be forthcoming.

Sandman527

Sandman527

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Looks like they are realizing they made the wrong decision after all the blowback lol...

https://twitter.com/...9268602880?s=19

The Supporters' Shield Foundation board would like to provide an update:

We are currently holding meetings with supporter group representatives about the original decision in light of new information and feedback we have received.

A public update will be forthcoming.

Honestly, the reason we're discussing it again is because of the reaction to the announcement, but even more than that, it's because Dan posted that it was awarded in 2001 even though not everyone played the same number of games. I'll be honest and say I did not know that and that changed my mind on it. That's precedent in my opinion.

Our original idea was to protect the integrity of the Shield due to an imbalanced number of games played. Now that we know this has been handled already, we are looking at it again.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we are looking at it again.

You have not mentioned that the actual decision was made during the summer, when it looked like there might not even be a season. USOC was scrapped as well.
I agree that the decision can and should be visited.
I also understand the imbalance in the schedule.
I did not realize that some teams only face 8 others,
while some face eighteen opponents.
Perhaps an analysis of TFCs points will help.
It is also possible that Seattle tops the table.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Vanney not a huge fan of the decision lol

He is a huge whiner, though. Bedoya, as well.
If either knew their MLS history, they would realize that MLS thought so little of the regular season points winner, that it did not recognize it or award a trophy.
It was the actual fans that created the trophy in 1999, and awarded it retroactively for the previous 3 winners.
Hence the name Supporters Shield.
https://en.m.wikiped...porters'_Shield
MLS did not care, because it wanted to hype MLS Cup,
instead of honoring the team with the most points.
Now, supposedly, it gives a feck?
P.S. Someone needs to update the wiki photo!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Honestly, the reason we're discussing it again is because of the reaction to the announcement, but even more than that, it's because Dan posted that it was awarded in 2001 even though not everyone played the same number of games. I'll be honest and say I did not know that and that changed my mind on it. That's precedent in my opinion.

Our original idea was to protect the integrity of the Shield due to an imbalanced number of games played. Now that we know this has been handled already, we are looking at it again.

Holy crap, if Toronto fans need to thank me for this trophy, I don't know how to react...

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

2001 season, all teams did not play equal number of games.

Shield was awarded.

was that when the Shield disappeared or something for a season or 2? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Holy crap, if Toronto fans need to thank me for this trophy, I don't know how to react...

They should give the shield to you.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

We play Toronto on the final day of the season.  If it turns out that the shield is awarded, us knocking them out of the top spot would be the funniest timeline.

That being said, they may have it wrapped up before then.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users