117 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The choice which country to play for is binary; how people feel is a lot more nuanced. He may feel Italian or he may have made that choice (in part or fully) because of career/NT success considerations. He could also easily still think of NJ as home.

If the US is home and you choose to represent another country to win more... thats a bit of dick move.

Club is a job. The national team a player reps is their family. You can change jobs, not your family.

I have no issue with Rossi playing for Italy, but then hes Italian.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

If the US is home and you choose to represent another country to win more... thats a bit of dick move.

Club is a job. The national team a player reps is their family. You can change jobs, not your family.

I have no issue with Rossi playing for Italy, but then hes Italian.

Not saying he's not Italian, and I definitely don't know why he chose Italy. Just saying you also don't know what he feels like, and that choosing Italy does not necessarily mean he doesn't also consider US a (second?) home/country.

If he had chosen the US, it wouldn't have meant he was purely American and Italy meant nothing to him. Many examples in USMNT and other sports - Marion Jones waving a Belize flag along with the US one after winning Olympic titles comes to mind, doping notwithstanding

To the "you can change jobs, not your family" comment - far from a perfect analogy. You can definitely extend your family, you can't exactly play for both countries at the same time.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If the US is home and you choose to represent another country ...

That is as much as we know, in this case, unless there is an interview somewhere stating more.
His Italian father took him to Italy, when he was 12. What choice did he have? Not go?
His dad also influenced him to choose Italy, AFAIK. So, no surprise.
Sure, his decision upset a lot of Yanks. I was not pleased, because I thought that he could do more for the US, and did not expect him to star for Italy.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Not saying he's not Italian, and I definitely don't know why he chose Italy. Just saying you also don't know what he feels like, and that choosing Italy does not necessarily mean he doesn't also consider US a (second?) home/country.

If he had chosen the US, it wouldn't have meant he was purely American and Italy meant nothing to him. Many examples in USMNT and other sports - Marion Jones waving a Belize flag along with the US one after winning Olympic titles comes to mind, doping notwithstanding

To the "you can change jobs, not your family" comment - far from a perfect analogy. You can definitely extend your family, you can't exactly play for both countries at the same time.

Maybe the job/family analogy isnt perfect, but club is a job and the national team is supposed to be about more than that.

He can definitely feel NJ is his home or second home. And, people in the US can definitely feel zero attachment to him because of his choices. I dont agree with anyone that hates him for his choice, were in agreement there.

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
http://www.espn.co.u...-knee-surgeries

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

https://the18.com/so...tead-usa-doooom

Somewhat similar, but Pulisic never lived in Croatia. Imagine if he chose Croatia and hoisted the WC!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Pulisic ... Imagine if he chose Croatia ...

Croatia did just fine without him.
Also, without their other striker:
https://www.cbssport...e-a-part-of-it/
This does not appear to have hurt his prospects:
https://m.calciomerc...co-madrid-67591

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Here's a good article on Russia's right back, a Brazilian who snubbed the Brazilian national team.

https://bleacherrepo...t-speak-russian

Worse than Rossi, since Fernandes had no connection to Russia before going to play for a club there.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Here's a good article on Russia's right back, a Brazilian who snubbed the Brazilian national team.

https://bleacherrepo...t-speak-russian

Worse than Rossi, since Fernandes had no connection to Russia before going to play for a club there.

Very different, in that Rossi would have been better positioned here than for Italy, while this Brazilian guy went the only place he had a chance to make the team.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Fernandes had already played for Brazil and definitely would have had a chance to make the Brazil World Cup team:

"It's important to understand this about Fernandes' bond with his new homeland: He didn't choose to gain citizenship and play internationally for Russia because he had no chance to play for Brazil.

Indeed, some in Brazil argue Fernandes compares favorably to Manchester City's Danilo and Corinthians' Fagner—the two right-backs in the Brazil setup—and would have been a featured player on the national team if he hadn't switched nationalities."

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

The point being that, if you consider Rossi to be a traitor for snubbing the USA to play for Italy (which I don't, by the way), Fernandes is even worse.  He chose to snub his native country to play for a weaker national team which he had really no connection to.  

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

USA MNT had one of the best productions of youth talen in the early and mid 2000s.

In 2006, folks had high hopes for these guys.

Clint Dempsey, 23

BobbY Convey, 23

DaMarcus Beasley, 24

Landon Donovan 24

Eddie Johnson, 22

Plus, Freddy Adu, Bradley Altidore, and Szetela were tearing things up in the youth teams. 

Rossi would of been the star  of that golden generation for team USA. Arena could of used him in the 2006 world cup. i think that is why folks are upset about his switch to italy. 

Rossi on the left and Donovan on the Right would of been a scary thought. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

The point being that, if you consider Rossi to be a traitor for snubbing the USA to play for Italy (which I don't, by the way), Fernandes is even worse.  He chose to snub his native country to play for a weaker national team which he had really no connection to.  

So theres a Brazilian guy that is worse than Rossi, got it. Is this suppose to make Rossi looks better?

I dont think Rossi is a traitor either, I just dont view him as particularly American. And, I dont see how what some Brazilian-Russian guy did, should shape my opinion on Rossi.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

No doubt that Rossi would have helped the USMNT, and probably would have been a star on the team.  

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

So theres a Brazilian guy that is worse than Rossi, got it. Is this suppose to make Rossi looks better?

II dont think Rossi is a traitor either, I just dont view him as particularly American. And, I dont see how what some Brazilian-Russian guy did, should shape my opinion on Rossi.

I'm not trying to change anyone's view on Rossi, and I'm not defending him either.  I guess I posted the article on Fernandes just to show that these issues of players snubbing one country to play for another are not unique to the USA, although we may see it more  here because we're an immigrant country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users