Today I saw pigs in the sky (Roy Miller appreciation)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

hoofball

hoofball

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metro Stars

I've made my feeling on Miller loud and clear.   Last year I was not as much of a fan of his play as other people were, though I acknowledge he was mediocre for most of it, which was 80x better than what he had been previous to that.   I only say mediocre for the fact that IMO he had lowered the bar SO much that mediocre made people think he had been playing well relative to what had been seen previously.   This year though he's stepped his game up even more and has made himself into a solid and respectable player, and in the respect to FBs in this league that's extremely commendable.   There are still some holes in his play (still really enjoys jogging to the point where he almost refuses to get back to his position on TO leaving gaping holes on the left)  but his defense has become stronger and he seems to be playing harder in all aspects.   His offensive contributions and linking play have been nice all year.  It has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Also, this was difficult.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I hated Miller as much as anyone but I was a convert after he came back from Petke's benching.  The guy is one of our better players...  His short passing is extremely good and we don't have a lot of players who have those skills.

He does get caught up field sometimes but I've learned that basically is the case with any outside back if the team asks them to get forward a lot.  It's just gonna happen.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Hoofball, Komba, I too join you on that sentiment. It's been a pleasant suprise. But I can't help that all he's doing is "auditioning" for his national team for Brasil, and once he returns, so will his dreadful play that we all know and loathe...

Only time will tell. So far, so good.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

miller and alexander combined well at times. i guess if this team has any scapegoats, start them on the left side of lineup?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

I've always been a Miller fan, and sometimes that's pretty lonely on this board.  Is he perfect?  No.  He sometimes gives too much room to a guy at the top of the 18 and will have a bad pass that leaves us exposed once every few games.  But he's confident and strong on the ball.  Guys rarely beat him to the end line and he rarely gets beat on the dribble.  He moves quickly into the attack and plays good combinations.

I've always thought he was the victim of "confirmation bias" on these boards.  People looks for things to confirm their already-established opinions.  You can see that when he has a good game, people say it was "unusual" for Miller whereas when he makes a mistake, it was "typical" Miller

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Roy Miller is, and has been, the technically best left-back in MLS. It's his stupid fucking brain that gets in the way sometimes. As long as he keeps his head out of his ass he's a big asset. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Roy Miller now holds the MLS record for most career MLS assists without a goal...beating out Chris Leitch.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Roy Miller now holds the MLS record for most career MLS assists without a goal...beating out Chris Leitch.

That first Roy Miller MLS goal is going to be so sweet.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Roy Miller has not put a shot on target since July 20, 2011

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

I'm still not overly sold on his defending.....but he's been really solid going forward. When gets in tune with the left mid, and can run some overlaps he's great. People watching on TV probably could not see it, but his pass inward on the Henry goal was a really tough move to pull off. Back heel of his outside leg and put it right on target.

But playing a team with a more organized offense, i'm not sure he's who you want.

devil500

devil500

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,633 posts
  • Interests:Engineering
  • Supports:Metro

That first Roy Miller MLS goal is going to be so sweet.

It will win us a trophy. Fact. 

#RedBullOUT

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

It also might end the universe

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

it would end the universe of those who hate us. that would be amazing.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

I swear for the life of me, I keep having this stupid though that we won the cup on a goal scored in the last minute and by someone that has probably never scored a goal in any capacity and we never saw coming in a ridiculously "That's So Metro" fashion (God damn I hate using that phrase).

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I believe in roy Miller...there , I said it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users