• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Secondary transfer window and trade deadline involving players ends Aug 8th.

Just for shits and giggles...clint dempsey for a high priced half year rental would be very interesting.

All signs point to this being his last year with Seattle. Good insurance policy up top if the unspeakable happens and potential super sub.

Watching Etienne wiff chance after chance has me thinking crazy thoughts.

5 year plan

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Just to make a point, Etienne Jr. scored 10 goals in 48 USL games (43 starts).
Amando Moreno has 9 goals in 20 USL games (only 14 starts)... from the same position of left wing with occassional minutes up top. How Moreno isnt with the first team, with open roster spots, is a bit curious.

We feed Brian White just as much as we did Anatole Abang, Brandon Allen, or Stefano Bonomo, so cant really make the argument that the talent didnt surround Etienne for most of his games.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

DE7's goalscoring should improve with time, but if that's the main expectation from him we're going to stay disappointed. His best value is as a creative winger who can take on defenders 1v1, plays heads-up one/two touch ball, looks to combine going forward, and brings some swag and ganas to a sometimes-stodgy attack. He's not a small guy, so coaches might see his speed and size and think "forward!," but the young man's - and team's - development is being hurt by him not getting consistent minutes at his best position. Why not let him focus on successfully/consistently doing in MLS the things he's successfully/cup-winningly done in USL, before forcing new roles/priorities? Because they have to, stupidly and self-defeatingly.

It's not DE7's fault the team let Veron go without getting backup for BWP, but he's taking the heat. What dumbass front office thinks a 21 year old wing with no MLS goals scored is a viable 2nd forward option for a team competing for all hardware? Worried that Woly is the only person in this org that knows how to actually bring along young talent.

Look at the buildup to Mines' goal early on this year. That's an SK16-esque sense of timing and space on the layoff to Kaku, with Kaku-like flair on the backheel give-and-go that precedes it. He's not yet a forward, but remains a promising winger that needs to be used intelligently. And this team needs creative wing play so what's the problem?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

agree with everyone that his skillset at the moment lends itself to an attacking minded winger / outside mid, and not a true forward like BWP.  

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Etienne can/will get better. I honestly think once he gets 1 or 2 confidence will rise and he'll start cooking. 

Dempsey is completely washed up. He's done. Hard pass on that one. Seattle is only still playing him because their season is effectively over.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Etienne can/will get better.

How long can we wait, for this supposed eventuality?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

He is - we're just judging a creative winger by the standards of an out-and-out striker. The frustration should be directed at RB for forcing the team to use a young asset out of position by not signing a backup for BWP.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

That's the issue. We're trying to win a title here and this team isn't better when he's on the field.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

guys a winger, second striker attacking mid.  I think he is getting better and shows better when part of the A squad.  

put the guy in position to best succeed, bring along Ivan and Moreno (although still prefer Piatti level player)(

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

One thing that shouldn't get lost in all this conversation about whether or not Etienne is an adequate backup for BWP right now (he's not) is that he has already improved immensely since last year. He was a headless chicken any time he saw the field in 2017, I had doubts he had the discipline to play at this level. His game off the ball has matured way beyond my expectations, even if the final product still needs work.

Ideal scenario for me is that Etienne would be a rotating player on the wing now, with the expectation that he'd need to outright earn the starting role in about the next two seasons. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

DE7's goalscoring should improve with time, but if that's the main expectation from him we're going to stay disappointed. His best value is as a creative winger who can take on defenders 1v1, plays heads-up one/two touch ball, looks to combine going forward, and brings some swag and ganas to a sometimes-stodgy attack. He's not a small guy, so coaches might see his speed and size and think "forward!," but the young man's - and team's - development is being hurt by him not getting consistent minutes at his best position. Why not let him focus on successfully/consistently doing in MLS the things he's successfully/cup-winningly done in USL, before forcing new roles/priorities? Because they have to, stupidly and self-defeatingly.

It's not DE7's fault the team let Veron go without getting backup for BWP, but he's taking the heat. What dumbass front office thinks a 21 year old wing with no MLS goals scored is a viable 2nd forward option for a team competing for all hardware? Worried that Woly is the only person in this org that knows how to actually bring along young talent.

Look at the buildup to Mines' goal early on this year. That's an SK16-esque sense of timing and space on the layoff to Kaku, with Kaku-like flair on the backheel give-and-go that precedes it. He's not yet a forward, but remains a promising winger that needs to be used intelligently. And this team needs creative wing play so what's the problem?

Etienne playing out of position doesn't change the fact that his finishing is awful.

Regardless of what role he is being asked to do, if you are a professional player and you are deployed in an attacking position you have to bury your chances. Players who whiff consistently don't last anywhere.

Etienne and Muyl -- both these guys could be on a two on none and one would blast the ball into the upper deck while the other would trip over his own feet. They have gotten that bad at finishing.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Etienne is 21.  He's not a teenage kid anymore...I get it takes time for some kids to develop, but he's gotten first team football at the MLS/USL level for 3 years...some guys just can't finish and he seems like one of them.  Not to say he doesn't do other things well, but I don't think you can rely on him for sub minutes at the striker position.

#RedBullOut

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
More evidence of the gap between USL and MLS.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Tough situation. He's not good enough right now. Can't get better without playing time. Can't justifiably give him significantly more time if BWP is healthy. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

A lot of us said BWP couldn't finish, until he started to. This thread gives me the so-Metro feeling that Etienne is going to get impatiently traded away, only to flourish elsewhere.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users