104 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

look at this.  Barlow statistically much higher than Jorgy in USL and we both see how it is working in MLS.  

https://totalfootbal...ysis-statistics

I think last year it was obvious that Barlow was better, and the difference was massive as you pointed out. Jorgey looked lost in a few matches in MLS and was immediately sent to USL, while Barlow was promoted from USL.

Today I think this gap has pretty much been closed or very close to it. Also, if you look at these stats from last year, best guys, like Barlow, are about 22-25 years old. Jorgey was 18. I don't think 18-19 year old Barlow would be able to do what Jorgey did in USL. That's why I still want to see  more of Jorgey in place of Barlow or White. He just turned 20 years old and from what I can see already closed a massive gap that was between him and Barlow. This is not saying he is good, but it appears he took a step forward.

In the next year (by the time he is 21) perhaps Jorgey can take another step forward. 25 year old Barlow won't be much better at 26. It makes more sense to invest in Jorgey as far as playing time, given they are pretty close now, between these two IMO.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Purely based my projected lineup on who didn't start vs MIA. Barlow Kaku Royer Duncan. Also possible for Nealis or Tarek to fill in for one of the CBs, 

For me, Jorg's biggest issue is his composure in front of goal. He needs lots of chances at goal. LOTS. It's not a secret that despite his goal tally from last yr, he didn't put away a significant amount of chances. He had the one shot that hit the crossbar, offhand, I don't recall any other shots. In USL, he was given plenty of opportunities to bury chances but didn't. He won't have that luxury with the 1st team.  

Jorgey and Barlow in the last game worked very hard and made things dangerous and difficult for Miami throughout the game. Jorgey should have scored off the left foot on that crossbar attempt, he had chance right next to the goal from Stroud where he just missed the ball, and in the second half another left footed attempt from close distance just hit side netting. I felt he should have converted all 3, or at least two of these if GK made a great save. Barlow had two clear one on one chances which he squandered. Plus there were a few more chances for each, which were totally wasted.

With all that said, Jorgey didn't really get same opportunities yet as White and Barlow. I am not yet ready to give up on him, even though it certainly does not look like it will be a breakout season.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

The predicament is that Jørgensen is one of the few on this roster capable of creating those chances using his speed to stretch the field and run in behind defenses. A Royer or White more clinical in front of goal, but probably wouldnt create that specific chance in the first place.

Obviously youd want a striker that can do both, but this is what we are stuck with at present.

The truth is, neither of these 3 strikers is MLS caliber player at this time. I know White scored, but just like before, he just played so bad the entire game, I just don't think that finish makes up for disappearance for the other 89 mins (edit: less than 89 since he was subbed, but you get the idea). I would more say Barlow and Jorgey are comparable in the fact they did cause danger and clearly contributed all game, but can't capitalize on opportunities. Jorgey, who just turned 20, has a decent chance to grow and fix his weaknesses, and playing him more out of 3 bad choices seems like the more reasonable thing to do. At least let's get more data on him, as so far Barlow and White got the preference.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The truth is, neither of these 3 strikers is MLS caliber player at this time. I know White scored, but just like before, he just played so bad the entire game, I just don't think that finish makes up for disappearance for the other 89 mins (edit: less than 89 since he was subbed, but you get the idea). I would more say Barlow and Jorgey are comparable in the fact they did cause danger and clearly contributed all game, but can't capitalize on opportunities. Jorgey, who just turned 20, has a decent chance to grow and fix his weaknesses, and playing him more out of 3 bad choices seems like the more reasonable thing to do. At least let's get more data on him, as so far Barlow and White got the preference.

A goal scorer is paid to score goals.  White does, they other guys don't.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Simple yet effective point. I dont care if the other guys can fly, they cant score. White was the best scorer last year among them and with fewer opportunities than Barlow, has outscored him. I dont think we give up on Jorg but White needs to be the guy over Barlow and the top guy unless Tetteh is ever allowed the opportunity

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

this. He may not pass the eye test except when he is picking the ball out of the back of the net. 

People said the same thing about Wondo.  If BWhite can deliver 5(-10) goals per year for the next 10 years -Yeah I'll take that 

(+ some serious support by another striker or high level wingers. 

Also he looked much better with space like the end of the DC game or 2nd half Miami - you get someone like Jorgy or Barlow making runs that helps - Kaku playing also helps.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Your point is well taken, but White scored one goal in 421 minutes this season. Jorgey played roughly half of that (226). So, to say he scores, while others don't is a bit of a stretch at this point. He played double the time of a guy 5 years younger and scored one (more) goal, and was invisible otherwise. This is not enough to keep giving him more time over the youngster with more potential.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Simple yet effective point. I dont care if the other guys can fly, they cant score. White was the best scorer last year among them and with fewer opportunities than Barlow, has outscored him. I dont think we give up on Jorg but White needs to be the guy over Barlow and the top guy unless Tetteh is ever allowed the opportunity

I agree about Barlow, since I think Barlow is the same guy as Jorgey at this stage but way older, but White has exactly one goal this year in the same time as Barlow. This is not much better than anyone. To me it is clear they all suck, and no, 1 goal in 421 mins by White doesn't make him much better. Given that, go with the guy 5 years younger.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

I agree about Barlow, since I think Barlow is the same guy as Jorgey at this stage but way older, but White has exactly one goal this year in the same time as Barlow. This is not much better than anyone. To me it is clear they all suck, and no, 1 goal in 421 mins by White doesn't make him much better. Given that, go with the guy 5 years younger.

I agree, its splitting hairs to determine who is better. They all suck. Tetteh better produce or we need at least 2 new guys this winter. But white has 10 goals the last two years to Barlow and Jorgs combined 3. Play Tetteh, White and Jorg in that order the rest of the year.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

This is not enough to keep giving him more time over the youngster with more potential.

Dont confuse youth with potential. Jorg hasnt shown potential. He did nothing to warrant his big salary, went to RB2 and was underwhelming and has nothing in MLS. Hes young, but he hasnt shown any potential yet.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Your point is well taken, but White scored one goal in 421 minutes this season. Jorgey played roughly half of that (226). So, to say he scores, while others don't is a bit of a stretch at this point. He played double the time of a guy 5 years younger and scored one (more) goal, and was invisible otherwise. This is not enough to keep giving him more time over the youngster with more potential.

This is an effed up year.  He scored well enough last year.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Last year is long gone. Regretfully, he's been atrocious thus far over a meaningful period of time.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I think its more the two striker formation than anything. Alone up top he can do what he does best, play back to goal and get tap-ins. When he's got a partner next to him he's got to do a lot more with the ball at his feet and further away from goal, which just doesn't suit him at all.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There is a big reason to play Jorgy... it's to get some Euro team to bite and give us SOMETHING for him. We won't recoop the 2M, but let's say he goes for 1M...

Ha!

Thanks. Needed that.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Your point is well taken, but White scored one goal in 421 minutes this season...

While being coached by Chris Armas sooo...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users