Photo

CIF Finalist coached by a Riot Squadder!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah
  • Supports:Galaxy, USA. Xolos

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Vince Mangione, aka FootballFantatic (sic) is head coach of the Ontario Boys Varsity.  This season they won the Mt. Baldy League championship. They are an unranked team in the final who have been knocking off ranked teams, including a thrilling semifinal win on PKs against Div. 4 #2 Cathedral at home.

Vinceandmeaftersemifinal_zps7b38c19f.jpg

If you can make it, come out to Corona HS Friday, March 1 for the 5 pm kickoff vs. South Torrance.  Tickets are $9, by the way.

Good luck, Vince!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of us!

#2 samoabob

samoabob

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY! Liverpool FC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

That is awesome. Congrats on his current success and good luck in the future

#3 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Besides soccer? Golf, Asian girls, grilling, swilling good beer, petite syrah

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

The kids on Lalo's Hill

LalosHill_zps13d13153.jpg

#4 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

Pitch invasion following winning PK

PitchInvasion_zpse75a9642.jpg

#5 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

As one of the kids said to Vince after the semifinal, "Coach, it's our destiny!"

Ontario Jags won the CIF Div. 4 Final, 3-2 in overtime in a thrilling game between two very determined sides.  

It is hard for me to convey how much this means to the Ontario HS community.  Over the last week, the excitement was building and you could feel it throughout the school.  Everyone was talking soccer.  

Newbie Riot Squadder Chris de Jong made a power point with a picture of the Riot Squad scarves up and taught the students a few songs and chants with a few word changes and started his class two days with a song-a-long.  Corny, but effective.  I sold out the last of the scarves that my girls soccer team started selling a few years back.  It was awesome watching so many people wearing their scarves and holding them up.  It was a proper soccer atmosphere from our side of the stadium.  Check out the pics.

This was prior to the corner kick that tied the score for O High early in the 2nd half at 1-1.  A "We all cheer, we all cheer for O High" started from this crowd from some of the seniors in de Jong's class.

ScarvesupCIFFinal_zps47da8f5b.jpg

After this goal, I started the "We Love You" song.  A bunch of teachers that have come to Galaxy games when Vince bought tickets and some of his buddies who are Galaxy regulars joined in and a bunch of people started waving their scarves.  It was awesome. 

At half time, I was talking to a couple of basketball players that had never been to a soccer game and wanted to know what O High had to do to turn it around.  They were stressed out.  Lots of kids were walking around in red wigs and O High gear, including scarves.  There were so many.

Here's a pic with me and one of my girls varsity captains.

AstridandmeandCIFFinal_zps628f6c45.jpg

So many of the girls soccer team was there.  I saw lots of kids that had graduated years ago, including former boys and girls soccer players.  There were a lot of teachers, office staff there, including the district superintendent (who was an excellent soccer player and a champion youth coach to boot), but there were a lot of teachers and admn and district folks from the feeder schools, too.  It was insane.

Here's a pic of the boys coming over to the stands after a wonderful free kick gave the Jags a short-lived 2-1 lead.  Notice the empty stands from the South Torrance side.  Props to the parents that came to support their sons, and probably a few friends and girlfriends.  But nothing like our crowd.  I wonder if the distance worked against a bigger crowd, as the final was about 20 minutes from our school and over 1 1/2 hours in traffic from Torrance.  But I also wonder how far down the totem pole this team is in the overall South HS sports scene.  This team has had great success, but I'm wondering if the average student there felt much about their team being in the final.

2-1CIFFinal_zps5e4c5548.jpg

Check out our crowd.  This is after the winning goal.  I got called down to man the track to prevent a possible pitch invasion.

StandsafterCIFFinal_zps8111e369.jpg

Here's a cool pic taken by the photographer from the Inland Valley papers.  Pretty sure this is the celebration after the free kick goal.

CIFChampions_zps3c8d1c56.jpg

http://photos.dailyb...school-history/

Here's the link to the story and the picture gallery.  Pics 1 and 22 showing the winning moment give me chills.  To come back from giving up a heartbreaking goal with about one minute to go (Pic 20) showed the heart and desire that this team has.  Destiny indeed.

Here's Vince at the post-game celebration with the trophy.

VincewithCIFtrophy_zps121daf41.jpg

Let me tell you--Vince LOVES his boys.  He is definitely the kind of coach you'd want your kid to play for.

Congratulations, Vince.  Good luck in regionals.

#6 footballfantatic

footballfantatic

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, Riotsquad, USMNT, Billiards!
  • Supports:LA G's, USMNT, My babies Momma

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Art! It was something special.

“Red Stripe, mon!” -Ricketts

#7 rancho united

rancho united

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy Man Utd Celtic RCHS Stopper

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Vince,

Congrats. Way to represent the Chaffey District and the IE! That home crowd is awesome...and I am sure it was impressive to those from Torrance.

Good luck this week as well.

#8 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Great story. Cheers!
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#9 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Awesome story.  Thanks for sharing this Stopper.  Congratulations to Vince and his team.

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#10 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Update: 

(From the story in the Daily Bulletin today)

Nothing came easy for the Ontario boys soccer team on the way to Friday's CIF-SS Division 4 championship.

That trend will likely continue after the Jaguars were seeded seventh in the eight-team Division I CIF Southern California Regional Championship bracket released Sunday.

Ontario (21-7-1) will open with a road game on Tuesday at second-seeded Bakersfield Golden Valley (24-3-1), the CIF-Central Section Division II champion that hasn't lost since Dec. 15.

Good luck, Vince.  Go Jags!

#11 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

The dream run continues.  Ontario Jags beat Golden Valley 1-0 to advance to the Regional Semifinal on Thursday.

Here's a pic of Vince on the way to the game--representing.  Way to go, Vince.

VinceonwaytoBakersfield_zps1c623f67.jpg

#12 S.Bones

S.Bones

Dir. of Football Operations

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

This is so great.

Thanks for the updates, Art.

#13 stopper

stopper

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

So, the ride ends.

Ontario took a beating 7-0 last night against El Rancho HS of Pico Rivera.  First of all, El Rancho was a very good team.  Very good.  Excellent pace up top, effective running off the ball, some really polished ball strikers.  A worthy Div. 3 CIF champ and a deserving Regional finalist.

Its too bad Ontario didn't have a chance to show their best.  The game in Bakersfield had a toll on the team.  The team played without the services of its fine center back and its standout attacker, who signed with LMU.  Several other boys played through knocks but weren't 100% fit.  These are not excuses, this is an explanation of the challenge the Jags faced.

In the 3rd minute of the game, a boy that normally saw very few minutes was beaten near midfield on a ball over the top.  He grabs the striker in the box and pulls him down.  Very easy red card to pull out for the referee.  PK makes it 1-0.  Still trying to gather themselves, the boys have to deal with the El Rancho onslaught and give up a goal minutes later off a corner kick.  They respond with some good chances but give up a goal late in the half.

In the 2nd half, the boys were giving it their all, but by this time Vince is pretty much clearing the bench and letting boys play that had not played much since league.  El Rancho's subs seemed pretty damn good once they came on.  By the end of the game, the starters were on the bench and rooting hard for their teammates.  Not a story book ending, but a classy display from a team that gave everyone at O High something to feel good about.  Very proud of the boys.

Well done, Vince.  Candidate for West Valley Coach of the Year for sure.  

#14 BassplayersFC

BassplayersFC

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts
  • Supports:B&GFC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

So, the ride ends.

Ontario took a beating 7-0 last night against El Rancho HS of Pico Rivera.  First of all, El Rancho was a very good team.  Very good.  Excellent pace up top, effective running off the ball, some really polished ball strikers.  A worthy Div. 3 CIF champ and a deserving Regional finalist.

UP THE DONS!   

20130310_121916_10elranchocelebration.jp

High School Boys Soccer: El Rancho has a finishing touch

DOWNEY - El Rancho High School's boys soccer team made history for the second week in a row at Warren High.

After winning the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 crown last weekend, the Dons added an more impressive honor to their already terrific season by defeating top-seeded San Clemente 3-0 in Saturday's CIF-State Division I Southern California Regional championship game.

El Rancho shuts out San Clemente in Div. I final (video)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users