93 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This assumes we're not selling anyone, like Kaku or Long, off.  These aren't predictions of what I think the team will do, it's what I think they should do.

Tom Barlow
 - Move

He's active, which is more than you can say for a lot of our players, but that hasn't translated to goals.

Cristian Cásseres Jr. - Bench

Assume Yearwood takes his place.  

Sean Davis - Start

Betting on a new coach and playing next to Yearwood brings him back to 2018 levels. 

Kyle Duncan - Start

Our leading goal scorer, how could he not start?

Mandela Egbo - Bench

Seems like a solid backup fullback and looked good as a defensive winger too.

Omir Fernandez - Bench

Spot starter, needs to continue to develop.

David Jensen - Bench

Solid 1A keeper.

Mathias Jørgensen - Bench

I'd like to see what a better coach can do with Jorgy.

Chris Lema - TBD

Not enough info

Aaron Long - Start

USMNT player, nuff said.

Kendall McIntosh - TBD

Not enough info.

Ryan Meara - Start

Maybe not as good as peak Robles, but a high level keeper by MLS standards.

Ben Mines - Bench

Did what everyone said he needed to do, got stronger.  Like Omir, needs to continue to develop.

Sean Nealis - Bench

Looked ok against DC.  Not a bad 4th CB for MLS.

Tim Parker - Start

He seems to be getting back to his old self, hopefully the new coach get him there.

Jason Pendant - Start

He's not Taxi, but who is?  Solid fullback.

Kaku - Start

He needs to play in a CAM role.

Daniel Royer - Bench

Has fallen off a little bit, maybe more of a 15-30 player at his age.

Marc Rzatkowski - Move

Makes too much for what he brings.  He'd be ok to have back on reduced wages.

Patrick Seagrist - Move

Didn't look like he had MLS quality.  Let Egbo backup both fullbacks.

Jared Stroud
 - Bench

Seems to play a lot like Muyl and guys like that are useful.

Amro Tarek
 - Bench

One of the better 3rd CBs in MLS?

Samuel Tetteh
 -  TBD

Not enough info.

John Tolkin
 - TBD

Not enough info.

Florian Valot
 - Bench

I'd be ok if he was a starter, but would love to be able to bring a guy like this off the bench.

Brian White
 - Move

This is assuming his performance this year isn't injury related.

Dru Yearwood - TBD

Not enough info, but I'd guess he's a starter.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Tom Barlow
 - Bench
Assuming he stays on a reserve contract as a 3rd or 4th option

Cristian Cásseres Jr. - Start
New contract, new coach, tap into potential, let him sit deeper and play as the 6 he is supposed to be

Sean Davis - Move
Salary going up, shouldnt start over 2 developing players in Yearwood and CCJ. Too expensive to bench unless hes being converted to CB

Kyle Duncan - Start/Bench
Does he provide enough going forward?

Mandela Egbo - Start/Bench
One of our FBs has to be capable going forward, dont think its Pendant.

Omir Fernandez - Bench
Spot starter, needs to continue to develop.

David Jensen - Bench
Solid 1A keeper.

Mathias Jørgensen - Bench
I'd like to see what a better coach can do with Jorgy.

Chris Lema - Bench/Move
Cheap 4th CM behind Yearwood, CCJ, and Valot? Or guy who has plateaued at the USL level

Aaron Long - Start
USMNT player, nuff said.

Kendall McIntosh - TBD
Not enough info.

Ryan Meara - Start
Maybe not as good as peak Robles, but a high level keeper by MLS standards.

Ben Mines - Bench
Did what everyone said he needed to do, got stronger. Like Omir, needs to continue to develop.

Sean Nealis - Bench
Looked ok against DC. Not a bad 4th CB for MLS.

Tim Parker - Move
Unless RBNY are going to change their philosophy on spending its a lot of $$ that could be committed to the attack. Use Tarek, Nealis as the 2nd CB, sign a cheap domestic 4th CB option

Jason Pendant - Start

He's not Taxi, but who is? Solid fullback.

Kaku - Start
He needs to play in a CAM role.

Daniel Royer - Move
Unless RBNY want to use an international spot on someone who should be a super sub, need to get younger and more dynamic in attack. This team needs talent infusion to get back to the top

Marc Rzatkowski - Move
Makes too much for what he brings. He'd be ok to have back on reduced wages.

Patrick Seagrist - Move
Didn't look like he had MLS quality. Let Egbo backup both fullbacks.

Jared Stroud
 - TBD
Omir and Mines are younger and have a higher upside, if you need the roster spot to sign a HG use it. CAM backup for Kaku instead of wing backup

Amro Tarek
 - Start/Bench
2nd or 3rd CB

Samuel Tetteh
 - TBD
Not enough info.

John Tolkin
 - Bench/USL
Signed a HG contract, let him develop

Florian Valot
 - Bench
Got a GC, and can cover at wing, CAM, and CM. Valuable piece but shouldnt be starting every week on a team earnestly trying to compete at the top

Brian White
 - Move
Barlow sticks over a White because White takes up a senior roster spot and would be a depth piece a anyway

Dru Yearwood- Start
I hope a guy you spent 2 million and a YDP spot on is starting or else you have another Jorgy. Let him play the box to box role and dont try to stick him deeper.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

already in offseason mode dont blame you.

in general i dont see the point of cutting an U22 domestic player.  they are still young enough to develop can go back and forth between USL.  Unless we have a young player better than them who's being blocked.  Also would entertain offers for anyone besides Long and Duncan

Areas of disagreement:

Keep Seagrist for one more year, he's 6 foot and aggressive.  Our CB pool is bad enough that I would try him there in USL before discarding him. He can't be worst than Boateng and Kilwien  

Lema I would cut.  Watched enough of him in USL doesn't have traits that match what we need

Realistically i dont think we can cut both Barlow and White yet.  Can keep one for Open Cup next year.  Barlow is on the supplemental roster so i would keep him.

Rza needs to be gone even if he takes a paycut.

This would leave us with 3-6 senior new signing spots available depending on if Tetteh comes back and if we use spots 19-20.  And at least 2 international slots. 

Lema cut opens supplemental slot for Clark.  Don't think anyone else is ready to be signed next year.  But if Lacava or Toure change that then cut Seagrist or Stroud  

With only 17 senior player now getting rid of Rza, Barlow and White would give us up to 6 senior players we can sign and 7 if Tetteh isnt back.  

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Yeah I actually went through the roster last night and did a similar exercise.

Valot and CCJ have green cards so they and any of the HG youth talent like Mines, Omir, and Tolkin are definite keeps unless you need the supplemental roster space. At most you sign Clark, Lacava, and Sowe (although we havent seen enough) to HG contracts.

I see Royer, RZA, and Parker as cap casualties although I wouldnt be opposed to keeping Parker because he is domestic, but the $$ saved there could be used for more attacking talent.

Royer has been here for years and doesnt have a GC, so unless you get creative in obtaining talent that doesnt take up an international spot (Mason Toye?) those are spots the team needs to upgrade the roster.

Best options for current internationals to get a GC are probably Kaku and Jørgensen because they have been here the longest compared to Egbo, Pendant, Jensen, etc.

Wrestled with the idea of Jensen being transferred or loan/option to buy, again because of international spots and he seems to be 2nd choice. With Macintosh or someone else on the reserve/supplemental and a reserve team I dont know if its a big need, but I think you can open up enough roster and intl spots without having to worry about it too much. Plus with Mearas injury history you need the insurance.

I think the starting back 7, can do a job in this league (Pendant, Egbo/Duncan, Long, other CB, Meara, CCJ, Yearwood), but the front 4 needs improvement even if Tetteh sticks around.

Assuming Tetteh looks good enough to stick, give me either 2 starting wingers (Tetteh at CF) or a starting winger and a starting CF (Tetteh at LW), and maybe a 3rd attacking piece at either position for cover.

Omir and Mines can develop behind starting professionals, Tolkin can develop behind Pendant/Egbo, Clark behind Kaku and so on.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Kyle Duncan - Start/Bench
Does he provide enough going forward?.

Tim Parker - Move
Unless RBNY are going to change their philosophy on spending its a lot of $$ that could be committed to the attack. Use Tarek, Nealis as the 2nd CB, sign a cheap domestic 4th CB option.

Duncan has 2 goals and 2 assists in 10 matches this year.

If you going to get a better CB than Parker, ok.  You can't go into a year starting Tarek or Nealis.  I get that the attack is weak, but a strong attack starts in the back.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Keep Seagrist for one more year, he's 6 foot and aggressive.  Our CB pool is bad enough that I would try him there in USL before discarding him. He can't be worst than Boateng and Kilwien.  

Definitely worth a try.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Duncan has 2 goals and 2 assists in 10 matches this year.

If you going to get a better CB than Parker, ok.  You can't go into a year starting Tarek or Nealis.  I get that the attack is weak, but a strong attack starts in the back.

I like Duncan a lot and have no issue if he is starting. Egbo is clearly competent, a similar age, and has high aspirations. Let them push each other for the spot.

If global is giving the freedom to Thelwell to construct the team and spend the $$ how he chooses then fine. Use all the DP spots, use the allocation $$, and bring in the attacking talent while keeping Parker.

We are still talking about one of the higher paid defenders in the league who got benched for a period of time earlier this season due to poor play. Its not a guarantee you are going to get great play, and keeping $800,000 to $900,000 on the bench of a team who historically doesnt spend isnt going to work.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It's probably too early for this because we need to see how some newer guys perform and how others perform with Armas gone. But right now I'd say...

Obvious keeps:

- Dru Yearwood

- Kyle Duncan

- Omir Fernandez

Probably Keep Unless They Want Out or the Offer Warrants a Move:

- Kaku

- Aaron Long

- Cristian Cassares

- Sean Davis

Collection of Guys Who are MLS-Caliber Players but You Have to Upgrade on Some of Them:

- Ryan Meara/David Jensen

- Amro Tarek

- Sean Nealis

- Florian Valot

- Brian White

- Ben Mines

- Jared Stroud

Insufficient Data:

- Samuel Tetteh

- Patrick Seagrist

- Manny Egbo

- John Tolkin

I'd Move On:

- Danny Royer

- Tim Parker

- Chrs Lema

- Tom Barlow

- Marc Rzatkowski

Mattias Jorgensen (who the fuck knows what to do?):

- Mattias Jorgensen

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

too early but hey why not

I would sign like 5-6 young players

3-4 young domestic players Clark Lacava and Sowe or Toure 

2 more young DPs from international -

I'd Move On:

- Danny Royer

-  Tom Barlow

- Marc Rzatkowski

Patrick Seagrist - if they keep Egbo they don't need Seagrist unless they really think he could play CB Plus - John Tolkin

Keep 

Jorgy and White as 2/3 forward

Tetteh if good and $$ ok.

Valot is the new RZA but much cheaper and more consistent

Does anyone think Davis could be converted to CB?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Start:

Sean Davis 

Kyle Duncan

Aaron Long 

Ryan Meara 

Jason Pendant 

Kaku 

Dru Yearwood - TBD

Samuel Tetteh-  TBD

Bench:

Tom Barlow

Cristian Cásseres Jr

Mandela Egbo 

Omir Fernandez 

David Jensen 

Mathias Jørgensen 

Ben Mines 

Sean Nealis

Patrick Seagrist

Jared Stroud

Amro Tarek

John Tolkin

Florian Valot

Move:

Brian White

Tim Parker 

Daniel Royer

Marc Rzatkowski 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Deciding who to get rid of before lining up who they will be replaced with is the kind of asset stripping mentality that has gotten us to where we are.  I am sick of the team getting rid of good or decent players to "open up space" to bring in some player who invariably turns out worse.  Royer is still the last time this team brought in a new player who was a clear upgrade over the player he replaced.  

I do not want to see the players like Parker and Royer leaving the team until the team has a player on the team, who is actually playing and is demonstrably better than either of them.  They are still part of only a handful of players on the team who are actually MLS quality.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Deciding who to get rid of before lining up who they will be replaced with is the kind of asset stripping mentality that has gotten us to where we are.  I am sick of the team getting rid of good or decent players to "open up space" to bring in some player who invariably turns out worse.  Royer is still the last time this team brought in a new player who was a clear upgrade over the player he replaced.  

I do not want to see the players like Parker and Royer leaving the team until the team has a player on the team, who is actually playing and is demonstrably better than either of them.  They are still part of only a handful of players on the team who are actually MLS quality.  

Fair enough, but I dont think anyone here is advocating for selling players and not replacing. I think the point of this was who would we like to see an upgrade over. Wishful thinking

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

This was just an exercise so I didn't have to think about how much they suck right now.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Fair enough, but I dont think anyone here is advocating for selling players and not replacing. I think the point of this was who would we like to see an upgrade over. Wishful thinking

And I do not begrudge anyone for doing a little speculating or fantasy GMing.  I am just saying that I do not want to see the team shipping off any more decent/good players without first bringing in some decent/good players.  For me, that has been one of the most frustrating part of following this team over the last three or so seasons, even more than the bad play.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Incompetence has gotten us to where we are. If your season ends in October and starts up again in March, that gives you four months to get signatures on paper, not to mention the homework done in the previous 6-12 months. I feel pretty secure in believing that this team could move Parker in December and have more than enough time to finalize a move for an upgrade. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users