35 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

No fan of paying big for a keeper though.  That is a position where I'd prefer to go cheap as possible at.  It's only a huge issue if you have a garbage keeper, but an average one is just fine.

This is spot on. All you need is a serviceable keeper and they should be able to get by.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,206 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Last time Meara got hurt, we found someone.
http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=6013
Then, someone else.
http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=6038

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

This is spot on. All you need is a serviceable keeper and they should be able to get by.

i don't know, i think having a good goalie is pretty valuable.  Now I would never want a DP goalie, given the type of goalie MLS teams can sign, but does anyone really want Kendall McIntosh to start for us if Meara gets hurt?  We for sure need another first team goalie imo before the season starts to at minimum compete for the backup job and ideally compete and push Meara. 

You can still fill out your squad completely with a TAM goalie that improves that position (i.e. Brad Guzan is a TAM goalie).  Everyone is only against this because they don't trust Red Bull to make any signings besides this, which is fair.  But in a vacuum the signing isn't bad and may be a good one if the guy has the right skill level.  He has very good experience though for his age. 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,415 posts

Yeah, that's the sad part.  A lot of me hoping that they don't spend a significant amount of money is based in the idea that it's going to stop them from making other signings. 

But still in terms of cap allocation, I'd really rather save money at the keeper spot and push more of it towards other positions.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

The only way it makes sense to buy a keeper is if Red Bull really wants someone who is fast/aggressive off his line (allowing the defense to play a high line), and good at ball distribution. Those were definitely weaknesses of Robles. Otherwise...using any sort of significant money on a keeper does not make sense to me. Especially when we've heard so much praise about Meara. 

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,809 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Bleh

You let go of a club legend for this....

Roll with Meara.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users