Spliffthered

Spliffthered

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:The mighty Fuckin Metro, Brasilian hamburgers,
  • Supports:NY, Legalization,
i tried singing redbull and can't do it. i seen the metrostars play only once back in 04' or so and have seen most of my games after the switch to rb. i personally feel like scum and praise the esc leadership for giving me some alternative and still sing metro. I love soccer, i love supporting with the esc, but how am i supposed to love a team that is a a sponsor for a shitty energy drink anyway. (we all remember what happened last time an austrian tried to take over the world) i personally feel bad for the players, we would have more of their gear and other shit to show we care for them if it wasn't coverd in redbull. to me Metro at least represents us, soy del metro = i am fro the metro, I am not from no fucking redbull ! + 1 to sack and + 1 to psu dude
Dont bomb Iraq, Nuke Manchester !!!

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
All make valid points. I personally can never sing redbull. I will always sing for the Metro, because thats the way i like it, i like it! Do i have redbull jerseys and shirts? yes. But my first love was for the Metrostars and i still wear all of my METRO jerseys to the games with pride, because that is/was my CLUB.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

DiscoBerger2123

DiscoBerger2123

hyper off the ginseng root

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Supports:USA, Metro

If the team was called Red Bull New York when I started coming...well I probably wouldn't have started coming...the day where this becomes a corporate love fest and we can't say Metro and ESC can't swear and we have to fly Red Bull banners is the day when I will think about whether or not its really worth it.

I have heard rumors that maybe the FO is going to buy us banners which we get to "design" ourselves. You know thats only if they have Red Bull logos on them...right? I hope everyone understands that. Every time you give an inch they will ask for more.

Whether it was them not selling me a college ticket (even though I had my college ID) because I was an ESC member or them telling us to stop swearing or them making us fly Red Bull shit, they are making this team ALMOST FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE to support. I am not ready to jump shit, but I hate the way things are going....just my warning to all of you...just remember that we are giving them confidence and the urge to push rules and RB brainwashing (I really don't know a better term) for more every time we fly that stupid Red Bull flag for the money shot.

+1,000,000.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts
  • Supports:New York
Spartak,

Not disagreeing with you here, just giving you some knowledge w/r/t language so that we can all discuss it correctly:

The FO has been bringing cursing to ESC attention off and on for 10+ years, long, long before RB took over. Man 1.0 can bring you back to Charlie S.-era discussions that happened early on, many years before I even got here. I was listening to the “celebrating their 5th season: Raging Bull Nation” in the stadium roll call the other day and it reminded me of the meetings with the FO over 6 years ago that surrounded the creation of that club (RBN), as they were asking us then to drop the PG-13 language in an effort to get more family-oriented fans into 101.

I don’t doubt that RB would be a bit happier if there was more PG and less R associated with their soccer team, but they’d still be on you if you said “Mighty Fcking Red Bulls!” too. It is a league-wide, MLS desire and it is stated in the programs (in English & Spanish) that we all use for confetti. The hate on that goes primarily to Don Garber & the MLS marketing team for looking for families & youth groups to go games. RBNY markets to those peeps too, because those are the people that buy the tickets in MLS (unlike the rest of the world’s more male, more adult soccer attendees), but this wasn’t an Austrian idea.

And, much as we enjoy the sauciness, there are no groups of 300 plus people at any other major sport in the tri-state area where organized cursing is “allowed” either. It goes grudgingly under-enforced at GS, but that doesn’t make it our divine right to eternal swearing-ness, much as we’d all (me included) like it to be. If RB said “You can’t sing ‘Metro’ anymore, only ‘Red Bull’”- which they have never done, btw- then the censorship feelings would be justified, but the cursing at least is less about the corporate owners of our team than about the demographic sensibilities of our league’s management.

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Spartak,

Not disagreeing with you here, just giving you some knowledge w/r/t language so that we can all discuss it correctly:

The FO has been bringing cursing to ESC attention off and on for 10+ years, long, long before RB took over. Man 1.0 can bring you back to Charlie S.-era discussions that happened early on, many years before I even got here. I was listening to the “celebrating their 5th season: Raging Bull Nation” in the stadium roll call the other day and it reminded me of the meetings with the FO over 6 years ago that surrounded the creation of that club (RBN), as they were asking us then to drop the PG-13 language in an effort to get more family-oriented fans into 101.

I don’t doubt that RB would be a bit happier if there was more PG and less R associated with their soccer team, but they’d still be on you if you said “Mighty Fcking Red Bulls!” too. It is a league-wide, MLS desire and it is stated in the programs (in English & Spanish) that we all use for confetti. The hate on that goes primarily to Don Garber & the MLS marketing team for looking for families & youth groups to go games. RBNY markets to those peeps too, because those are the people that buy the tickets in MLS (unlike the rest of the world’s more male, more adult soccer attendees), but this wasn’t an Austrian idea.

And, much as we enjoy the sauciness, there are no groups of 300 plus people at any other major sport in the tri-state area where organized cursing is “allowed” either. It goes grudgingly under-enforced at GS, but that doesn’t make it our divine right to eternal swearing-ness, much as we’d all (me included) like it to be. If RB said “You can’t sing ‘Metro’ anymore, only ‘Red Bull’”- which they have never done, btw- then the censorship feelings would be justified, but the cursing at least is less about the corporate owners of our team than about the demographic sensibilities of our league’s management.

Yea I am well aware that its a MLS wide initiative...and I think we are doing a good job resisting from the (minimal to this point) pressure. I know all the groups have this problem. It wasn't a main point to my post and perhaps should have been left out. It was kind of my motivational call to ESC to keep doing what we are doing and don't give them an inch. Even if it isn't the evil Austrians telling us not to curse it still is someone trying to tell us what we can and can't do...and I am not cool with that.

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

Yea I am well aware that its a MLS wide initiative...and I think we are doing a good job resisting from the (minimal to this point) pressure. I know all the groups have this problem. It wasn't a main point to my post and perhaps should have been left out. It was kind of my motivational call to ESC to keep doing what we are doing and don't give them an inch. Even if it isn't the evil Austrians telling us not to curse it still is someone trying to tell us what we can and can't do...and I am not cool with that.

I concur, Fuck Don Garber's Couch.

fatcatnyc

fatcatnyc

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Supports:SATAN & nyrb
whats a metro?i dont act like i ever came to a metros match. i know when i started comin on the regular and i cant fake it like some folks who wanna be in with the kinda elitist "cooler" long time metro fans..i started comin regularly after rbny had taken over so......once again i could care less what ya sing but there are so many divisions within this ESC "group". this is just another one of those divisions...i sing redbulls.i wear redbull jerseys and gear..can i sing cosmos..ahahhaha..damn i wish medellin only had 2 syllables ..ahahha..anyway who cares. sing what ya want as long as ya sing. the product placement was ridiculous on that postgame show but thats business..the banner thing is being blown outta proportion.does anyone actually know what richie and pete spoke about..specifically?what designs would have to be or not be on it?all talk is out of yer ass.why couldnt it be a full section esc banner..but now ya blew it up all over this forum and i m sure its dead now. nice move.we could have compromised a little and just used the metro in the section and have them both flyin at the same time, the rb from the rail of 201 and the metro banner in 101 closer to us.that would have been fine..if they wanted to show the rb banner on tv it would have to be with the metro banner as well. anyway more divisions...but like i said we have so many dividing points in this "group"..whats one more right hahahaha..hope to see yall manana.maybe we can all agree on a color to wearahahhahaaaaaa.at least we have leon to decide on what we should eat .that would take forever as well.anyway i just hope i continue havin fun with all of you in the lot because if these silly things keep makin it less fun..who would wanna keep comin. its hard enough for new people to fit in..sing what ya want i guess but someday it would be nice to be unified in everything. team name, songs,colors,basic things..like positivity towards the team. i dont think you should curse out your teams players...why would they try hard for you if all they ever hear from you is fuck you you suck..but once again another difference between all of us in this group.jeez..i betta shuaddup..i love you all hahahhahaaa.

matador

matador

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  • Supports:metro, USMNT

whats a metro?i dont act like i ever came to a metros match. i know when i started comin on the regular and i cant fake it like some folks who wanna be in with the kinda elitist "cooler" long time metro fans..i started comin regularly after rbny had taken over so......once again i could care less what ya sing but there are so many divisions within this ESC "group". this is just another one of those divisions...i sing redbulls.i wear redbull jerseys and gear..can i sing cosmos..ahahhaha..damn i wish medellin only had 2 syllables ..ahahha..anyway who cares. sing what ya want as long as ya sing. the product placement was ridiculous on that postgame show but thats business..the banner thing is being blown outta proportion.does anyone actually know what richie and pete spoke about..specifically?what designs would have to be or not be on it?all talk is out of yer ass.why couldnt it be a full section esc banner..but now ya blew it up all over this forum and i m sure its dead now. nice move.we could have compromised a little and just used the metro in the section and have them both flyin at the same time, the rb from the rail of 201 and the metro banner in 101 closer to us.that would have been fine..if they wanted to show the rb banner on tv it would have to be with the metro banner as well. anyway more divisions...but like i said we have so many dividing points in this "group"..whats one more right hahahaha..hope to see yall manana.maybe we can all agree on a color to wearahahhahaaaaaa.at least we have leon to decide on what we should eat .that would take forever as well.anyway i just hope i continue havin fun with all of you in the lot because if these silly things keep makin it less fun..who would wanna keep comin. its hard enough for new people to fit in..sing what ya want i guess but someday it would be nice to be unified in everything. team name, songs,colors,basic things..like positivity towards the team. i dont think you should curse out your teams players...why would they try hard for you if all they ever hear from you is fuck you you suck..but once again another difference between all of us in this group.jeez..i betta shuaddup..i love you all hahahhahaaa.

Nice rant. I too came in after the metro years ended but personally I am uncomfortable wearing RB gear and singing for RB due to my feelings on their corporate influence. Still I see what you are saying with the calls for unity and definitely agree that it isnt a big deal what everyone is singing as long as they are singing.

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams
Out of pure curiousity, could a "middle ground" be found by simply singing and chanting "New York"? (Ducks from a brick from Ed of the NJB....) Would that help solve the issue? It probably isn't my place to speak up, but just an honest question.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Out of pure curiousity, could a "middle ground" be found by simply singing and chanting "New York"? (Ducks from a brick from Ed of the NJB....) Would that help solve the issue? It probably isn't my place to speak up, but just an honest question.

I think too many people have a problem with the New Jersey v. New York situation to chant New York exclusively.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,220 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

simply singing and chanting "New York"

No argument here.

:D

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars
Doesn't the corporate sellout argument really have no legs to stand on because the metrostars were named for metromedia as opposed to the original Empire Soccer Club?

Face the facts, guys, we were never going to have a great history of "Formed out of a company league in 1896 drink and media manufacturers created..."

While I would have loved to maintain at least the continuity of the metrostars name, I don't mind being named after an established company. The term "new york red bulls" does irk me, as I prefer Red Bull New York.

I am sick of people complaining about the Red Bull takeover. It happened; get over it. Perhaps you would prefer being arbitrarily named because some marketing think-tank liked the focus group numbers for AS Internazionale Whineybritches Wanderers County Rovers FC Town Racing City Athletic Forest.

Hell, I'm still indecisive after the last 3 seasons if it would have been better or worse if Richard Branson bought our team and the hilarity that would have ensued.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

theredmenace

theredmenace

2009 DOTY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Thoughtcrime United

I am sick of people complaining about the Red Bull takeover. It happened; get over it. Perhaps you would prefer being arbitrarily named because some marketing think-tank liked the focus group numbers for AS Internazionale Whineybritches Wanderers County Rovers FC Town Racing City Athletic Forest.

Forza ASIWWCRFCTRCAF!
ASIWWCRFCTRCAF campeones!
Upsetting Shorts: Funny, so you don't have to. SEASON 2 BEGINS! NEW EPISODE JULY 2nd!!!

Eleazar: "Tim = wise man"

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

Out of pure curiousity, could a "middle ground" be found by simply singing and chanting "New York"?

Like how the rbNation/KA lot do with the "red" & "bull" chant that can get going at the stadium. The ESC/section 101 can shout "New"............the rest of the stadium shout back "York".

This could evolve/escalate into other 2 word chants, like "You" & "Suck" and "Fire" & "JCO".

Any more ideas? :D

KDyer1012

KDyer1012

Well, he's no Michael Lewis...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Supports:One of those bogus Euro or S.A. teams

Like how the rbNation/KA lot do with the "red" & "bull" chant that can get going at the stadium. The ESC/section 101 can shout "New"............the rest of the stadium shout back "York".

This could evolve/escalate into other 2 word chants, like "You" & "Suck" and "Fire" & "JCO".

Any more ideas? :D

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to sign up for your newsletter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users