• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Maybe. Yet when my soccer and non-soccer fan friends bust my chops about watching games, its always with palpable derision toward the name. "Oooh a red bulls game is on? Have fun with that."

Name aint everything, but it doesnt help you seem even slightly legit. NYers are acutely able to spot the legit from the less-than.

That's why they support the top European teams, right? Because it's "legit" to do that?

Lot of Luton Town fans in NYC... oh right, they all support Man U, Barca, etc.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

That's why they support the top European teams, right? Because it's "legit" to do that?

Lot of Luton Town fans in NYC... oh right, they all support Man U, Barca, etc.

Don't fuck with the Hatters or you'll get the....mercury?....or something.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Yea man. This right here. The name doesn't help worth shit, so Harraby has a point - but you gotta see the whole issue. I don't think MLS has a huge market here.

Impossible to tell

This team has had shit marketing for their entire existence. I wonder if a competent FO can make any inroads or is it too late.

Calpico

Calpico

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, April 25 Sports Club
I don't understand the hate for the Metrostars name. I thought it was pretty fucking cool and actually had something to do with the local area. Not to mention we had the best colors in the league.
"There are no time-out's in soccer? ... Really?" - Coach John McGuirk

http://calpicotime.tumblr.com/

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

I don't understand the hate for the Metrostars name. I thought it was pretty fucking cool and actually had something to do with the local area. Not to mention we had the best colors in the league.

Especially when it evolved into Metros. I think the name fit a team that played in Jersey, had most of its fans from Jersey but was also considered New York.

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

Agreed!!
"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

Fair point but to be honest the issue isnt wether which name is "nicer" but what they represent. One represents a club another represents a soft drink and has another 4 teams with the same badge name and color around the globe. How can anyone not see how its more aboit the soft drink than a NYC/NJ club?

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

As I said, of the dozens of people I've introduced to the team by either bringing them to a game or just chatting them up about it, not a single one has even made mention of the team's name. To be perfectly honest, its a cooler sounding name than the Metrostars... And give me a break, Getafe in Spain has the damn Burger King logo plastered on their jerseys and they bring in fans just fine, the name has far less to do with it than you fanatic's want to admit.

Ive dont the same and most people I know are confused about why this is a RED BULL team. They think more along the lines of the Globetrotters than anything else. Once I explain it to them tho they quickly just dismiss the whole thing as minor league. Like when youre in little league and are named after the local Video Store. Then tgheres other few who get the whole thing but are sort of "scared" of the whole pledging your allegiance to an international conglomerate which sole purpose is to expand their "brand".

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
If only Red Bull would sell the team to somebody else who renamed the team the MetroStars, then we'd have sellouts every night, win every game, everybody would get a puppy, and gumdrops would rain from the sky.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If only Red Bull would sell the team to somebody else who renamed the team the MetroStars, then we'd have sellouts every night, win every game, everybody would get a puppy, and gumdrops would rain from the sky.

You'd find a lot less of one type of complaint. And you'd see Harraby post with less frequency.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Charlestown Chiefs

Charlestown Chiefs

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order Hockey,Beer,Metro,Women
  • Supports:Metro/RB USMNT NY RANGERS BAYERN

would like RANGERS FC to buy us so we can be re branded as NEW YORK RANGERS FC

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

You like these Rangers?

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

If that happens, I quit.. :lol:

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

"Oooh a red bulls game is on? Have fun with that."

that's because you're watching MLS on t.v., much funner in the stadium! :cheers:

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Did somebody say... puppy?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users