• This topic is locked This topic is locked
251 replies to this topic

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Yeah! It's not like Magee scored a bunch of clutch goals in the play-offs last year to lead his team to the MLS Cup.

...and it's not like Luke and Magee didn't play against each other in the play-offs last year and Magee clearly outplayed him and scored more goals or something....

I don't want to get into your guys back and forth. You just picked a bad example.

G, you know to much to sling that kind of hash. It is a true team game where it is pretty hard to isolate two players and make comparisons that are really valid.

I do think it is fair to say that Luke probably had a greater positive impact on the Redbulls this year than Magee did for LAG. But that statement doesn't say one is necessarily better than the other. But if I was forming a team and had to pick one or the other, I would pick Luke.

BTW, we traded a better player than either of them to get Magee in the first place, Brad Davis, whom I would pick ahead of Luke in that hypothetical team creation.

soccerdad

soccerdad

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Supports:metro
To Backe's point last week about trying to win the Open Cup, maybe he believes young guys like Kassel and Hot are not good enough but the trialists are? That would make this move more explainable.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

G, you know to much to sling that kind of hash. It is a true team game where it is pretty hard to isolate two players and make comparisons that are really valid.

I do think it is fair to say that Luke probably had a greater positive impact on the Redbulls this year than Magee did for LAG. But that statement doesn't say one is necessarily better than the other. But if I was forming a team and had to pick one or the other, I would pick Luke.

BTW, we traded a better player than either of them to get Magee in the first place, Brad Davis, whom I would pick ahead of Luke in that hypothetical team creation.

Like I said, I didn't want to get into the back and forth and I'm not going to. The comment I responded to was,

"Magee was going to bring us a trophy?"

Well, LA Galaxy won MLS Cup last year and Magee was THE star of the play-offs. Scored in 1st leg against NY. Scored in the 2nd leg against NY. Scored in the Conference Final against RSL.

I'm stating the facts.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

jroke

jroke

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:anyone BUT redbull

Still waiting. Jeremy Hall? Garcia? Chinn? Lassiter? Magee is really better than Luke? He was going to bring us a trophy? If you went club by club, you'd see we are not unique in this.

How dare we cut a promising young American like John Rooney? Everyone so desperately wants to believe that our colleges are full of world-beating talent just waiting to be given a chance...

so let me get this straight...... 16 years of failure isn't enough to prove the formula isn't working ?

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Like I said, I didn't want to get into the back and forth and I'm not going to. The comment I responded to was,

"Magee was going to bring us a trophy?"

Well, LA Galaxy won MLS Cup last year and Magee was THE star of the play-offs. Scored in 1st leg against NY. Scored in the 2nd leg against NY. Scored in the Conference Final against RSL.

I'm stating the facts.

I guess I am lost with this whole Magee thing. What does he have to do with Kassel and Hot getting cut?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I guess I am lost with this whole Magee thing. What does he have to do with Kassel and Hot getting cut?

I guess dumping a young American player who was ok with us, but once playing somewhere else, has won a trophy or two.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I guess dumping a young American player who was ok with us, but once playing somewhere else, has won a trophy or two.

Alright, well I issued the question before, but no one answered: should we never cut or trade young Americans? How long should they be kept on the team? Should they be guaranteed minutes? Should we play them even if we could get better players?

How long must we keep Kassel on the team to satisfy everone? How many games should he be played so that the majority will know if he has a bright future or not?

If by playing him it weakens us, should we be doing that? How many games will it take before he gets to the level we need to win the Cup? Who should decide this?

Either you trust the coach or you don't to figure these things out. Many people don't trust Hans, hence the uproar.

For me, Hot looked bad in the reserve games and the GA tour. He doesn't seem ready. Kassel was more composed, but I have seen nothing that has blown my socks off, unlike what I saw the first times I saw Davis, Clark, Gaven, Ream and Petke. They were all raw, but you could see they were going to produce. You knew you would live through some shaky rookie mistakes, but it would be worth the trouble. I haven't seen that with Matt. Doesn't mean he won't get there, but it is not obvious to me. As an outside observer I would keep him for at least another season, but perhaps if I saw him daily next ton other players, I might be cutting him too.

You either have to trust the coach on this one or not. I don't think any of us have enough observations to make that call.

mlser

mlser

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Supports:mls
Has anyone considered that it has nothing to do with either Kassel or Hot's ability. Seriously, if Kassel was as bad as some people have said on this board he would not have consistently made the bench last year over some of the players that remain on the roster. He played full 45 minute halves in Mexico whereas again others were subbed. But nevertheless, I don't think that's the issue at all here. Backe and Soler make insane decisions. Last year at this time everyone was having this same discussion over Des and Richie's firing. Again, a senseless decision. Then came the firing of Motta and Sierra last July. Were they all not good enough or never going to amount to anything either? The reality is that this organization will never be a success if they continue to make such senseless decisions. If I'm Petke, I am going to update my resume quickly because his job is probably not as secure as many might think. But then again, people on this board will come up with all kind of opinions as to why it happened, etc, etc. The writing is on the wall, this front office is clueless about team building and really doesn't seem to care.

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Has anyone considered that it has nothing to do with either Kassel or Hot's ability.

I think a lot of people are considering that.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Hot couldn't make it to the reserves team last year. He also looked terrible in the GA team in Holland. So - i dont think he will amount to anything.

As for Kassel, who knows what is going to happen to him. He is the more talented player but when you have young guys like dax and paulson who have international experience are fighting to make the bench then its going to be best for Kassel to move on.

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Coventry City, USMNT

Has anyone considered that it has nothing to do with either Kassel or Hot's ability. Seriously, if Kassel was as bad as some people have said on this board he would not have consistently made the bench last year over some of the players that remain on the roster. He played full 45 minute halves in Mexico whereas again others were subbed. But nevertheless, I don't think that's the issue at all here. Backe and Soler make insane decisions. Last year at this time everyone was having this same discussion over Des and Richie's firing. Again, a senseless decision. Then came the firing of Motta and Sierra last July. Were they all not good enough or never going to amount to anything either? The reality is that this organization will never be a success if they continue to make such senseless decisions. If I'm Petke, I am going to update my resume quickly because his job is probably not as secure as many might think. But then again, people on this board will come up with all kind of opinions as to why it happened, etc, etc. The writing is on the wall, this front office is clueless about team building and really doesn't seem to care.

A whole lot of dudes consistently made the bench that were never gonna see the light of day last season (See: John Rooney), that isn't a good barometer when you know only Agudelo, Dax, Ballouchy had chances to get off the bench. Those 3 are still on the roster - that tells you that Backe is at least being consistent.

I think it remains clear that these guys were not good enough to compete. They had chances in each practice session to show their talents and they failed. Hans is now saying he has a bench good enough to compete in all competitions. 20 or so good footballers. If we don't see him going '20 or so' deep next season, I will be in camp with people complaining with this decision.
"I'm Thierry Henry, BITCH!"
"I'M STRONG!" - Thierry Henry

mlser

mlser

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Supports:mls

A whole lot of dudes consistently made the bench that were never gonna see the light of day last season (See: John Rooney), that isn't a good barometer when you know only Agudelo, Dax, Ballouchy had chances to get off the bench. Those 3 are still on the roster - that tells you that Backe is at least being consistent.

I think it remains clear that these guys were not good enough to compete. They had chances in each practice session to show their talents and they failed. Hans is now saying he has a bench good enough to compete in all competitions. 20 or so good footballers. If we don't see him going '20 or so' deep next season, I will be in camp with people complaining with this decision.

Sorry I'm not buying it! I think Lewis was spot on in his article the other day that none of these guys were even given a chance. I have a hard time believing that Petke who repeatedly praised Kassel believes he was not good enough to compete or that he failed!? . As for these so-called trialists that are all "better" than Hot and Kassel, they will probably not be "good enough either.' Most of them are forwards so there goes the philosophy about creating depth!! Seriously, if we use that type of reasoning that Backe has such an eye for talent, then what the hell is going on with Aguedelo? How could he possibly get better if he continues to be put further back in line in regards to depth ( Henry, Rogers, Cooper)? After last year and the start of this year I am not sold on the abilities of this organiztion to assess any type of talent no matter which level.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
Alvarez, one of the trialists is a central defender, I believe.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Sorry I'm not buying it! I think Lewis was spot on in his article the other day that none of these guys were even given a chance. I have a hard time believing that Petke who repeatedly praised Kassel believes he was not good enough to compete or that he failed!? . As for these so-called trialists that are all "better" than Hot and Kassel, they will probably not be "good enough either.' Most of them are forwards so there goes the philosophy about creating depth!! Seriously, if we use that type of reasoning that Backe has such an eye for talent, then what the hell is going on with Aguedelo? How could he possibly get better if he continues to be put further back in line in regards to depth ( Henry, Rogers, Cooper)? After last year and the start of this year I am not sold on the abilities of this organiztion to assess any type of talent no matter which level.

So your complaining about Depth? its not like Cooper and Rodgers are superior players to Agudelo. If Agudelo hustles a little bit more then you will see him own that 2nd forward slot. he is not going to improve if there is noone there to push him.

if hot and kassel are not picked up by an MLS team then they will be remembered like johnny x, szetella or any other local star that didnt make it in the pros.

it happens. its too early to say whether this was a good or bad move.

MetroPolishFirm

MetroPolishFirm

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Supports:METRO, RAKÓW Częstochowa
Out of 6 trailist we have 2 forwards, 2 mids and 2 defenders...mlser pleas get ur facts streight it was Dyers article... So please explain me why there were games at time that instead 18 players we had 16 or 15? Answer is simple if players don't put effort they don't get to the bench, and if Backe thought that he hasn't have depth in his team why should he use this players if he dosnt trust their ability.now I kind of understand the whole Chicago cup fiasco....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users