38 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

How much do you think 6 months of a $3M player is worth?

The transfer would have to be accompanied by a multi year signing. I doubt he is coming to NJ as a free agent. If they have genuine interest in the guy, I think it will be much closer to 3 mil than it is to 200K. Heck, we just spent 5 mil for a Celtic bust - someone they wanted to get rid of. This is a rumor season, so I am not surprised to see reports like this, just not holding my breath on that one, that's all.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The transfer would have to be accompanied by a multi year signing. I doubt he is coming to NJ as a free agent. If they have genuine interest in the guy, I think it will be much closer to 3 mil than it is to 200K. Heck, we just spent 5 mil for a Celtic bust - someone they wanted to get rid of. This is a rumor season, so I am not surprised to see reports like this, just not holding my breath on that one, that's all.

That is not how this works. At all. What he'd be signing for here has no bearing on what we should and would owe Rapid Wien. He can be signed for free in 6 months. If you think this would be anything more than an $800K signing (that's extremely generous) you're out of your mind.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

That is not how this works. At all. What he'd be signing for here has no bearing on what we should and would owe Rapid Wien. He can be signed for free in 6 months. If you think this would be anything more than an $800K signing (that's extremely generous) you're out of your mind.

You seem very offended some don't think this has much legs. Relax. Let's see if we end up with him at all and if so how much this costs, then we can see who is out of their mind.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

You seem very offended some don't think this has much legs. Relax. Let's see if we end up with him at all and if so how much this costs, then we can see who is out of their mind.

It has nothing to do with whether this has legs or not. If we were loosely linked to Weston McKinnie and you asserted the transfer fee would be $300M, I'd be pointing out how that does't reflect the reality of the market for him. Regardless of the fact he would never be coming to MLS.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Its not really so much about whether this has legs or not. More so about if you know how contracts in soccer work or not. Which it doesnt seem you do

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Okay. Anybody who has more than 10 minutes of experience negotiating for anything knows that you don't open with your best offer.

When time is tight, and you have a lot of business to get done, there is nothing incorrect about starting with a "take it or leave it" offer.    That said, It's such a low number as to be almost meaningless.    A guy who puts up his stats, motivated by it being a contract year, is certainly worth more than a paltry $200K to his team as they are on the bubble for the playoffs.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

When time is tight, and you have a lot of business to get done, there is nothing incorrect about starting with a "take it or leave it" offer.    That said, It's such a low number as to be almost meaningless.    A guy who puts up his stats, motivated by it being a contract year, is certainly worth more than a paltry $200K to his team as they are on the bubble for the playoffs.

In 6 days the guy can sign an agreement where his club gets $0 for him. With this little time, theyll be happy to get anything for him.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

In 6 days the guy can sign an agreement where his club gets $0 for him. With this little time, theyll be happy to get anything for him.

But he would still play for the for the rest of this season.   My point is that having him for the rest of this season is worth something.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Time is tight? We have 62 days until our first match of the season. Over a month until preseason begins. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Its not really so much about whether this has legs or not. More so about if you know how contracts in soccer work or not. Which it doesnt seem you do

And how do they work? The only assertion I am making is that this one seems more of a long shot rumor rather than something serious, given the low transfer amount mentioned. Even thoward mentioned the # of 800K, which is 4 times (!!!) exceeding the rumored amount. You seem to be posturing as if you know something, while it sure looks like you are full of hot air again.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

And how do they work? The only assertion I am making is that this one seems more of a long shot rumor rather than something serious, given the low transfer amount mentioned. Even thoward mentioned the # of 800K, which is 4 times (!!!) exceeding the rumored amount. You seem to be posturing as if you know something, while it sure looks like you are full of hot air again.

I also called that "extremely generous." My point was even if he's worth a ridiculous 4x our offer it's nowhere close to that $3M mark. More realistically, it's probably $400K.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

If they were to sign him to a long term deal, it would not increase the xfer paid to hia old club. That deal would just be between us and the player.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

You didnt understand the point being made in the comment you cited.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

If they were to sign him to a long term deal, it would not increase the xfer paid to hia old club. That deal would just be between us and the player.

Yes, the deal would be between us and the player, but we will not by completing the transfer unless he signs for a longer term than just a few months. I am not saying that deal increases the transfer - just that it will likely take several times more than 200K for an MLS club to get this guy, who would also have to agree to an extension, and for that reason when I see number 200K, it makes me skeptical, that's all. Listen, if we end up getting this guy for 2-3, even 4 hundred K, that would be great, I just simply don't see it.

You didnt understand the point being made in the comment you cited.

You are not competent enough to make that judgement.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Yes, the deal would be between us and the player, but we will not by completing the transfer unless he signs for a longer term than just a few months. I am not saying that deal increases the transfer - just that it will likely take several times more than 200K for an MLS club to get this guy, who would also have to agree to an extension, and for that reason when I see number 200K, it makes me skeptical, that's all. Listen, if we end up getting this guy for 2-3, even 4 hundred K, that would be great, I just simply don't see it.
You are not competent enough to make that judgement.

I legitimately, and dont mean this to be unkind or start more beef that youre looking for, dont think you understand what youre saying. I dont know if what you just wrote is worded poorly because its a message board or if you just dont get it. Yes, he has to sign for more than a few months which he would regardless of the situation 200k goes to his club but his contract would be significantly higher than that. Which is fine. Were willing to give the club 200k as opposed to 0 which they will get in just a few more days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users