• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Quality mid-20s CBs don't grow on trees, though. Especially not proven and definitely not cheap. Re-signing Collin at what looked like a discount at the time was a no-brainer. It obviously didn't pan out as hoped (ditto for Baah) but you can't criticize the thought process there. Not without the benefit of hindsight anyway. Just like now we know a 33yo Parkhurst had a much better 2017 than a 31yo Collin. We could use some time machine action during every offseason for sure.

Could/should they have signed more CBs in case 2 penciled-in starters were injured all year and DP aged 5 years in 5 months? Yeah, sure, obviously. They did get Escobar, a promising young CB who is an international at 22yo. But then maybe we don't get Royer or don't give Robles/BWP/Felipe raises. Not giving FO/Marsch a pass, but it isn't as easy as "get more better CBs, duh".

I know Parkhurst had a poor 2016, but his ability to organize and distribute would have been a natural complimentary piece to this team. I don't know. I just never felt comfortable with our CB pool going into 2017. DP looked like shit last year and has been generally poor this year. Baah was coming off a very tough injury. Colin had to fight through a lot of stuff to get on the field. To me it was a big red flag and we've been generally below average on the backline all year. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

our top three CBs going into this season were Colin, Baah, and Perinelle. None of them proved to be durable at all. The main issue with the team ... this is inexcusable. 

Injuries are unpredictable. Boston Celtics just lost a $128 Million player to a possibly career-ending injury 5 minutes into his debut game.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Injuries are unpredictable. Boston Celtics just lost a $128 Million player to a possibly career-ending injury 5 minutes into his debut game.

Again, I can maybe buy Colin being a "durable" player, but the other two were massive risks. We put ourselves in a position to fail again. 

I know we signed Escober, and I think he can probably play. I don't know how Baah is doing with RBNY2. But there better be some deep reflection on why we are in the same spot again. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

SOME injuries are unpredictable.  The injuries among our corps of centerbacks were incredibly easy to predict.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

The injuries among our corps of centerbacks were incredibly easy to predict.

Hindsight is 20/20.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hindsight is 20/20.

The real trick in life is to turn hindsight into foresight that reveals insight.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm pretty sure half of this forum was clamoring for additional CBs in the winter because of the extensive injury history of the players we have.

Quotes:

"We have no defensive depth. We're an injury away from devastation. Learn from your past mistakes, Ali." - MetroFanatic

"We're fucked if Sacha goes down. We're fucked if Collin goes down. We shouldn't be fucked because Baah goes down... especially since Baah is down already." - MetroFanatic

"At CB we have an aging DP, a barely-running Baah and a rookie. It can work but is definitely high-risk. One more signing there is a must, and we can probably use more." - ivo

"We do need another CB and that is even assuming that Perinelle is brought back." - Komba

"Well, the more I think about it, really the only position we need someone is maybe CB, and another forward option." - Komba

"Is Baah actually gonna be ready for the start of the season? I think he literally only just started running again, I can't imagine he's anywhere near 90 minute fitness." - iced1776

All from the last 7 pages of this thread.  I'm sure there are more: http://www.soccerpub...showtopic=49276

Don't pretend that no one saw this coming.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

half of this forum was clamoring for additional CBs in the winter because of the extensive injury history of the players we have. ... Don't pretend that no one saw this coming.

While I can respect the opinions of those quoted, they are just that, opinions. No one has a crystal ball. Half the posts on this board are doom & gloom. Many of the rest are I Told You So .

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

While I can respect the opinions of those quoted, they are just that, opinions. No one has a crystal ball. Half the posts on this board are doom & gloom. Many of the rest are I Told You So .

"These injuries were easy to predict."

"Hindsight is 20/20"

"Hey look at all of these people who called this in January and February."

"They're just opinions!  No one can predict the future!"

Move those goalposts more, bud.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Move those goalposts more.

Accept that you have no actual ability to prognosticate.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Accept that you have no actual ability to prognosticate.

I almost went out with a psychic once, but she dumped me before we met.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

I almost went out with a psychic once, but she dumped me before we met.

I dumped a psychic once.  She didn't see it coming. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users