• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Remember that year that Colorado topped Dallas in Toronto in December. That's playoff soccer in a nutshell for you. Two totally random teams Mr. Magooing their way through the post-season to play a Final with a totally random result that nobody really cares about other than us Trekkie soccer fans. It was better when the schedule was balanced and we all actually knew who the best team was because they won the Supporters Shield.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I do like a true league, and a Supporter's Shield based on a full round-robin schedule, but MLS isn't going to play 38 games. 

The odd thing is playing a third game against conference rivals, instead of playing more league opponents twice.

With expansion, MLS will probably wind up with 24 teams, playing conference foes twice & the others once.

That's unbalanced overall, but at least everyone plays the same format. 

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

zeelimit

zeelimit

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

I just view the MLS Cup as the equivalent of England's League Cup. The Supporters Shield winner is the champion and the MLS Cup is just a trophy. I don't think anyone could really say that Portland was last season's best team (or Colorado a few years back). If they gave a real home advantage to better teams that might take some of the randomness out of who wins the MLS Cup. But the fact remains that we have a league with parity and a surprise team is likely to win the MLS Cup half of the time.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
IMO playoofs are a crapshoot and make the regular season less valuable for ANY sport. But I do like hardware and I love that there are multiple trophies to be had in a single season. And I especially like chasing hardware we've never won.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Dupe

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Shield winner should bypass CCL and just go to the Copa Libertadores. Teams that win the other trophies go to CCL. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Shield winner should bypass CCL and just go to the Copa Libertadores. Teams that win the other trophies go to CCL. 

That would add a lot of value to winning the Shield. Do MLS teams have a path to qualification for Libertadores? Winning CCL? Metro in Libertadores is something I'd get very excited about!

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

It used to be only Mexican teams but I believe it may be open now. It would be top 2

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
The best team wins. Why does Bruce and the Galaxy have multiple MLS cups? That's not a fluke.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
This Cup Tournament is about as much fun as it always is. Why is everyone surprised about this?

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

The best team wins. Why does Bruce and the Galaxy have multiple MLS cups? That's not a fluke.

yeah, but they also lost at least one (to RSL) where a low seeded team got to the final and got lucky in a penalty shootout.

The fact that the team they lost to was in their own conference supports the OPs argument.  At least they fixed that bit of randomness.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

If you are the best team, why can't you navigate through the playoffs and win?

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about that damn shield.. WE WANT THE CUP.

and in order to win it, there is playoffs and we have to get through... I have a bad feeling about Sunday... SAME. OLD. METRO

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

This Cup Tournament is about as much fun as it always is. Why is everyone surprised about this?

If we won the fucking thing at some point you wouldn't even be bitching about this same nonsense over and over and over again.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Would trade 5 shields for 1 cup.

plz win metro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users