JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,415 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

below 5th in the east is a failure

What if the difference between 5th & 6th is GD?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA

Can't go off last year all that much - it was a weird year.   But look at the roster from when we were good, player by player, and compare how we match up.     Too soon to tell, but do we have BWP, Taxi, Kaku etc. level players?

I think the point some of us are trying to make is that when we got BWP and Taxi, we had no idea what level they were or were going to eventually be. Some of us are choosing to be hopeful we have some possible diamonds in the rough this time around as well.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think the point some of us are trying to make is that when we got BWP and Taxi, we had no idea what level they were or were going to eventually be. Some of us are choosing to be hopeful we have some possible diamonds in the rough this time around as well.

The flip side of this is that BWP is the greatest striker in team history and Lawrence is the greatest LB in team history. Some of that was good talent identification and some of it was good coaching, but some of it is also luck. Klimala/Fabio and Gutman could become quality, productive MLS starters and still fall well short of BWP and Lawrence. Putting stock in hitting the jackpot again is lofty. 

Bklynfootballer

Bklynfootballer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA

The flip side of this is that BWP is the greatest striker in team history and Lawrence is the greatest LB in team history. Some of that was good talent identification and some of it was good coaching, but some of it is also luck. Klimala/Fabio and Gutman could become quality, productive MLS starters and still fall well short of BWP and Lawrence. Putting stock in hitting the jackpot again is lofty. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you. All I am saying is that the baseline expectation is to be better than last year, in which as mediocre as we were, we finished 6th. It's not like we crept into the playoffs as the bullshit 10th seed.

I am not saying we will compete for the shield, I'm just saying we should make the playoffs and hopefully fight for home field advantage. That expectation doesn't require Fabio to score 20+ goals or Gutman to be MLS Best XI at LB. It's a team game, we appear to have a team full of guys who understand that, and a coach who can properly implement the "RB way".

Trying to hit the jackpot player wise is what RB does on the regular with every other franchise besides ours, we need to get used to that approach or become a bunch of angry old men yelling at clouds.

Sincerely,
Team Glass Half Full

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Trying to hit the jackpot player wise is what RB does on the regular with every other franchise besides ours, we need to get used to that approach or become a bunch of angry old men yelling at clouds.

I mean every other RB club tries to hit the jackpot by spending actual money on transfers flipping the players for a profit in a few years.  We're bringing in players for nothing and hoping for a miracle.

Salzburg and Leipzig are playing the stock market trying to win big and we're playing scratchers at the gas station counter.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I mean every other RB club tries to hit the jackpot by spending actual money on transfers flipping the players for a profit in a few years.  We're bringing in players for nothing and hoping for a miracle.

Salzburg and Leipzig are playing the stock market trying to win big and we're playing scratchers at the gas station counter.

You realize after the loans expire we're still going to have to pay something to bring them on as a permanent transfer, right? It's not like where getting a bunch of signings for free forever.

The purpose of the multiple loans is to see who fits the squad instead of blindly spending $$$ based on some youtube videos.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,130 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You realize after the loans expire we're still going to have to pay something to bring them on as a permanent transfer, right? It's not like where getting a bunch of signings for free forever.

The purpose of the multiple loans is to see who fits the squad instead of blindly spending $$$ based on some youtube videos.

The rare benefit  of being part of a global soccer conglomerate is that we have access to their scouting and analytics resources and therefore should not be relying on youtube videos.   Also, we are just as likely to clean the slate and get a bunch of new free loans next year as we are to sign any of this bunch for a fee, no matter how good they are.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

The rare benefit  of being part of a global soccer conglomerate is that we have access to their scouting and analytics resources and therefore should not be relying on youtube videos.   

Covid made scouting near impossible - hence the push for loans and the greater acceptance for loans by selling teams. Buying teams would always want to try before they buy - selling teams frequently don't.

Also, we are just as likely to clean the slate and get a bunch of new free loans next year as we are to sign any of this bunch for a fee, no matter how good they are.

Nah, while I think there will be a constant flow of fresh faces, the average length of stay will be 2 years. If someone is good, they will be purchased, and then sold to Europe in 2-3 years. That's a reality I'm okay with.

Additionally, as a USMNT fan, I think its sweet we we are going to have Clark, Harper, Duncan, and Long playing potentially as starters together. The only reason Clark and Harper came here (and they aren't secretive about it) is the pathway to Europe. With RB its "Metro makes and the Nats take" and I love that. As a further tangent, if a portion of this group do make the move to Europe, I bet the floodgates open for young foreign and domestic players to push for a move to RB. You see it with Haksa's comments, Harper's move, Clark's move ...     

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

The rare benefit  of being part of a global soccer conglomerate is that we have access to their scouting and analytics resources and therefore should not be relying on youtube videos.   Also, we are just as likely to clean the slate and get a bunch of new free loans next year as we are to sign any of this bunch for a fee, no matter how good they are.

As Thelwell pointed out, the loans benefit the player as much as the club. Usually players get to meet face-to-face with management and coaches, tour the facilities, meet with other players, tour NY/NJ, etc. They didn't get a chance this window because of the pandemic. It's as much about giving the player a chance to see if it's a fit. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Remind me who's here on loan and who's a permanent transfer?

Loans:  Fabio, Diarra, Edwards, Coronel, Gutman(?)

Transfer:  Reyes, Harper

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

http://www.metrofana...m/transfers.jsp

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

AFAIK, Edwards still hasnt arrived in the US

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

http://www.metrofana...m/transfers.jsp

Thanks.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,415 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Transfer was announced January 27th.
What's the holdup?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Yeah - Whats up with this? I'm starting to think he might not come.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users