67 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Unless we actually beat Vancouver that schedule isn't bad at all besides being at Vancouver / at Atlanta in the same week.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Unless we actually beat Vancouver that schedule isn't bad at all

The New York to 3/2 in Vancouver to 3/5 in Atlanta is pretty rough.  Hopefully they spend a few days in Vancouver in advance of the first leg to try to mitigate the effects of extended cross-country travel.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,547 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

This is why we need Collin, Baah, 2 starter-lvl CBs, and Long on the roster by Opening Day. I hope that Curtis doesn't pull a hopeful cheap-o move by signing 1 CB and promoting Long. We're screwed if that happens. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

hoping no one decides to Boo Tim Howard when he gets introduced, although i'm sure i could probably guess 1 section at RBA that would do something like that

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

This is why we need Collin, 3 starter-lvl CBs, and Long on the roster by Opening Day. I hope that Curtis doesn't pull a hopeful cheap-o move by signing 1 CB and promoting Long. We're screwed if that happens. 

You'd really hope they learned that lesson with how bad Ouimette last year

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,547 posts

post-61884-mean-girls-I-know-right-gif-i

"Metro..."

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

This is MLS so who cares about a tough start.  As long as you can be average in this league you have just as much chance of winning the MLS Cup as a team winning 34 games in a row.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

This is why we need Collin, Baah, 2 starter-lvl CBs, and Long on the roster by Opening Day. I hope that Curtis doesn't pull a hopeful cheap-o move by signing 1 CB and promoting Long. We're screwed if that happens. 

This is what I would do actually.  Long is good.  He has the physical traits that project to the next level.  Add one CB and we have Collin, Baah, CB, and Long

You MUST leave some room to maneuver. The salary cap is everything and you never know what positions are going to be a huge issue.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

This is MLS so who cares about a tough start.  As long as you can be average in this league you have just as much chance of winning the MLS Cup as a team winning 34 games in a row.

Exactly... MLS and this stupid system has made it on par with the NHL. It's even worse actually because the better team tends to lose in Soccer at a higher percentage than other sports.  Doesn't even matter if you are good, most teams make the playoffs and just get hot.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

They learned the lesson because they ditched him.  You aren't going to hit on every single player.  Just never gonna happen.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,547 posts

This is what I would do actually.  Long is good.  He has the physical traits that project to the next level.  Add one CB and we have Collin, Baah, CB, and Long

You MUST leave some room to maneuver. The salary cap is everything and you never know what positions are going to be a huge issue.

i'd be less worried if they got 2 CBs and a RB and cost the team not much in salary, and curtis has about $1m of cap space for the ~5 remaining SR roster spots.

"Metro..."

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,405 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

The regular season in MLS means nothing if they are going to keep the current broken playoff format. Squeaking into the playoffs as the 5 or 6 seed is where you want to be.

Out of those games the only ones that matter are the CCL ones. The Atlanta one would be fun to win but again regular season means very little in MLS. I won't care at all if they start shitty in league play again.

Also that Colorado game the stadium will be empty. Lame opponent.

It isn't lame. A lot of this was put together before Howard got injured. They likely thought that his return to NJ would be a pretty big deal...

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USMNT

Agreed.  We are better off sneaking into the playoffs in the #5 spot and not having home field advantage, and using the wildcard game to gain some momentum. It seems to be the recipe for winning MLS Cup. 

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Most of our focus early in the year should be squarely on Vancouver and CCL. We should feature our best XI for both legs and if we hopefully advance feature our best XI in the semis vs tough Mexican opposition. If that means throwing out less than full strength squads for some of those early MLS matchups then so be it. We've already proven we can overcome poor starts to the season. We've already achieved two Supporter's Shields in recent years. Winning the CCL will be 10X better than winning the Supporter's Shield IMO. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Most of our focus early in the year should be squarely on Vancouver and CCL. We should feature our best XI for both legs and if we hopefully advance feature our best XI in the semis vs tough Mexican opposition. If that means throwing out less than full strength squads for some of those early MLS matchups then so be it. We've already proven we can overcome poor starts to the season. We've already achieved two Supporter's Shields in recent years. Winning the CCL will be 10X better than winning the Supporter's Shield IMO. 

word

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users