• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Who do you have in mind that could be a top 3 MLS attacking mid within the next few years?

Etienne.  Basuljevic possibly.  

THat said, I think we'll eventually go outside for a guy to replace Sacha.  Same with BWP. We'll go outside to replace our top, top players unless someone from the inside really distinguishes himself.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Etienne.  Basuljevic possibly.  

THat said, I think we'll eventually go outside for a guy to replace Sacha.  Same with BWP. We'll go outside to replace our top, top players unless someone from the inside really distinguishes himself.

One of the problems with relying on the academy players to become your stars is that at their age, if they're truly one of the best players in the league then it will be very, very difficult to prevent them from going to a better league. If Etienne is picking up 15-20 assists and 5-10 goals at the age of 21/22, you can bet we'll only get one season out of him before receiving a transfer fee that blows Miazga's out of the water. And I get people are high on Basuljevic but he's yet to play a professional game at 21 years old.

MLS is a buying league and will be for some time. Especially, as you mentioned, if a coach of Marsch's quality isn't around forever, we need to be able to contend for serious players abroad, and we can't rely solely on Papa Red Bull for that.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Who do you have in mind that could be a top 3 MLS attacking mid within the next few years?

Maybe not Top 3, but Davis.  He reads the game nicely and is a quality passer.  The fact that he's playing as a deeper CM now doesn't bother me.  Kljestan cut his teeth in the same role and Davis is probably a better player than Kljestan was at the same age.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

RBN1014077_141204_social_media_needs_SEA

Does this forward signing address team needs, other than being a forward? 5'9" sounds like a BWP kind of striker. Need a 6'+ target man.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Man I be thrilled to eat my words in a few years time, I think Davis has a very solid career ahead of him as a box-to-box midfielder in MLS, but a contender for best attacking mid in the league? Not sure he's shown that sort of potential yet - that ability to perfectly weight passes through a defense, to pick out the play that nobody else sees coming.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Does this forward signing address team needs, other than being a forward? 5'9" sounds like a BWP kind of striker. Need a 6'+ target man.

+1

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Don't understand this signing. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I believe that he and Joshua Gatt are very close friends and had gone through injuries together. Gatt just signed with Minnesota. Wouldn't surprise me if he played a part in trying to get FG here.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
According to FIFA, dude is fast as hell. At the very least he will be a Veron replacement

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Don't understand this signing. 

What's there not to understand? He is already paid by Red Bull. Doesn't cost them anything.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

What's there not to understand? He is already paid by Red Bull. Doesn't cost them anything.

Because he's not a DP, wouldn't it cost them nothing anyway?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Because he's not a DP, wouldn't it cost them nothing anyway?

They are saving on allocation cost, and potential cap space as well. No one knows for sure since actual numbers are hidden, but there is a reason they keep going to the Red Bull well: it's cheaper if Daddy Dieter already has you on the payroll.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Basuljevic

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I believe that he and Joshua Gatt are very close friends and had gone through injuries together. Gatt just signed with Minnesota. Wouldn't surprise me if he played a part in trying to get FG here.

That makes sense. Those Molde teams were very good too.

It would be nice if the team had a big, target option, but I'm willing to see what this guy can do.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

They are saving on allocation cost, and potential cap space as well. No one knows for sure since actual numbers are hidden, but there is a reason they keep going to the Red Bull well: it's cheaper if Daddy Dieter already has you on the payroll.

I'm probably missing your point but isn't that whole initial allocation paid for by MLS?  Like the only things that the teams are actually on the hook for are transfer fees and any DP salary. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users