67 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

not quite - we can go up to $250K on the replacement...  doubt we'd go that high anyway

gotcha

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So, we have a repeat of last year, we're an injury away from crisis in central defense. Your move, Ali Denis.

Bingo.

Another fucking awful roster build that will leave us scrambling for cover sometime in the middle of April.  There's no Collin hanging around at an overinflated salary this time, though.

#RedBullOut

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

not quite - we can go up to $250K on the replacement...  doubt we'd go that high anyway

Think we brought in N'dam for this purpose?  Could be a high risk/high reward situation (think Obekop vs Oyongo), and if it's not going to cost RB anything, why not abuse the sketchy Cameroonian connection.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,260 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

So, we have a repeat of last year, we're an injury away from crisis in central defense. Your move, Ali Denis.

And that's after getting lucky with Long playing as well as he has

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

PaintThisCityRed

PaintThisCityRed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USA

After seeing him on that treadmill I just knew he wasn't ready.

Plastic ain't got no soul.

No Red Bull. No Wings.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Bingo.

Another fucking awful roster build that will leave us scrambling for cover sometime in the middle of April.  There's no Collin hanging around at an overinflated salary this time, though.

the roster build is only horrible because we haven't filled it yet.  We have 3 open senior roster spots and over a million in allocation money.  If we needed to get someone we could.  At this point assume that Denis and crew do not think we need anyone.  They probably like having a young developmental guy as the 4th CB and are fine with that.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Fantastic page, the mystery of international slots is finally uncovered:

http://www.mlssoccer...-york-red-bulls

this page is literally gold. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

the roster build is only horrible because we haven't filled it yet.  We have 3 open senior roster spots and over a million in allocation money.  If we needed to get someone we could.  At this point assume that Denis and crew do not think we need anyone.  They probably like having a young developmental guy as the 4th CB and are fine with that.

We've "needed" to get someone for months if this Baah injury is bad enough to force him out for the season.  Perinelle hasn't gone a year without getting injured at some point either.  

I also think it's clear that Hamlet isn't making the roster decisions.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,260 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If we knew Baah was not coming back, its pretty reckless not to have his replacement in for camp and the start of the season.  Even without injuries, we know CB's - especially ours - rack up cards quickly.     Being exposed until the summer xfer window, given all our roster spots and allocation money, makes no sense.  If N'dam is that guy, ok... 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,956 posts

Maybe they are thinking that Murillo can step in at CB and we have cover at RB with Lade... once Lade gets healthy. Lots of ifs.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, C.A.R.P., NYR

Bingo.

The thing is you don't need to find a Collin.  We need someone to be our 3rd or 4th CB on our depth chart and provide coverage.  You have 2 starters between DP, Collin and Long. 

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Exactly... We don't need a Collin.

We have 3 starters as it is because Long has turned out so good.  Just add another depth guy. There are plenty out there. 

Sucks for Baah... Just really tough luck.  Now you have to assume that he won't be the same when he comes back.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

Exactly... We don't need a Collin.

We have 3 starters as it is because Long has turned out so good.  Just add another depth guy. There are plenty out there. 

So we're anointing Long now after 3 games?    I don't know if that's a smart thing to do to a kid in his first top-flight professional season who already had a big gaffe that cost us a goal.  You hope he pans out, but I don't think you can say today that he's definitively the answer there.

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts

The thing is you don't need to find a Collin.  We need someone to be our 3rd or 4th CB on our depth chart and provide coverage.  You have 2 starters between DP, Collin and Long. 

Two card prone guys, one injury-prone guys and a rookie....

You hope you have two starters between the two.  I don't think it's a given that you do.

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Two card prone guys, one injury-prone guys and a rookie....

You hope you have two starters between the two.  I don't think it's a given that you do.

The card thing is probably as much as a concern as injuries. I'm fine with Long, at some point you have to give these kids a shot and if they think he's ready, then let him play. I know the argument is going to be, they don't care if he's ready, they care if he's cheap. And that may be true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users