• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

He will continue to be terrible in a 4-2-2-2, as will we. It's absolutely mind boggling.

The type of player that needs a huge pocket of space and is a liability defensively. If you don't play a 4-2-3-1 you can't field him and unfortunately we don't have the option not to play him. Unfortunately, the former means he is found out every time we have an important elimination game. 

Well, he can play in the 4-2-2-2, it's just that he has to play in Davis' spot.  Too much space for him to cover in the 4-2-2-2. And yeah, taking Davis off the field means we lose a ball winner.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
I just don't think we're moving to a lone striker formation just for the fact that we got the new guy on loan. He's not here to sit on the bench. Decision is still up in the air how long it will take him to get used to his new team. We should have invested or sought out a loan for starting caliber CB or RB. One thing is for sure, Sacha is probably the worst offensive, out of form player, we have right now. Even Veron gets a pass.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I guess I'm a little confused as to Marsch's stubbornness here. Didn't he literally tell fans last year that he abandoned the 4-4-2 cause it didn't get the best out of Kljestan? He said during pre-season that it would look a little different this year compared to last, but I don't see it, looks the same to me. So Marsch has to know that he's not putting his 20 assist CAM in a position to succeed.

IMO we continue to lose knockout games because of defensive lapses and a lacking killer mentality in attack.

So the solution was to ignore the defensive part of the roster in the off season, trade away one of the best CDM's in the league and change formations where you're putting BWP and Sasha at a disadvantage???  Down a goal in a big game?  We need to know how to play with a 3 man backline effectively.  Not go all empty bucket with no width in attack.  Up a goal in a big game?  We need to control the ball and kill it off.  Not allow long balls over the defense go into our net.

Dax wasn't the main culprit in those epic defeats...but okay he's getting up there in age and has high value and you want to bring Davis and Adams along.  I'm actually fine with that.  It's well reasoned and his a long term goal in mind.

But to ignore the fact that you don't have the proper tools on defense (or many of your tools are injuries waiting to happen) is foolish.  We have had horrendous defensive lapses so many times over the recent years.  They need to get the right players by spending the money and locking them up long term.  Going ham on the midfield and overloading it with talent is great...but not if you're going to ignore your deficiencies in defense and ESPECIALLY if not you're going to use that loaded midfield roster by playing guys like Grella, Veron, Zizzo and now Sasha all out of their natural position.  Pretty soon Gulbrandsen will be playing out wide.  Just wait.

And I know this is going to sound sacrilegious but offensively we needed to convert chances in those big knockout games.  Sasha and BWP for all their incredible contributions to this team haven't been able to do that.  I'm not advocating trading them away or anything, but the logic of the past few off seasons has been completely illogical.  If you give up cheap goals and can't convert in the playoffs then you need to address those problems somehow.  Right now we're doomed to repeat them.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

I guess I'm a little confused as to Marsch's stubbornness here. Didn't he literally tell fans last year that he abandoned the 4-4-2 cause it didn't get the best out of Kljestan? He said during pre-season that it would look a little different this year compared to last, but I don't see it, looks the same to me. So Marsch has to know that he's not putting his 20 assist CAM in a position to succeed.

People are allowed to change their minds. Or, also possible, to have Austrian bosses who dictate what needs to be done.  

That aside, the formation isn't helping Sacha, but he's just been poor on the ball (and off). His first touch, control, passes and set piece delivery are all way worse than last season. That's not all just formation-driven. I'd say poor preseason/baby impact has a lot to do with his slump, in addition to the formation change.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Well, he can play in the 4-2-2-2, it's just that he has to play in Davis' spot.  Too much space for him to cover in the 4-2-2-2. And yeah, taking Davis off the field means we lose a ball winner.

Pretty much. Sacha is a converted 10 who played the 8 before he came here (which is why, at the time, I didn't quite get why we got Sacha to begin with when we acquired Felipe, but I digress). So either they stick with the 4-2-2-2 and they have to take one of either Davis or Felipe off the field (which isn't happening), or they need to revert back to a 4-2-3-1 (which Jesse won't do because ZOMG LEIPZIG PLAYS IT AND HE NEEDS TO PLAY IT TOO!). Sacha isn't a winger. He's a distributor. He needs to play where his strength lies, which is the 10.

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Pretty much. Sacha is a converted 10 who played the 8 before he came here (which is why, at the time, I didn't quite get why we got Sacha to begin with when we acquired Felipe, but I digress). So either they stick with the 4-2-2-2 and they have to take one of either Davis or Felipe off the field (which isn't happening), or they need to revert back to a 4-2-3-1 (which Jesse won't do because ZOMG LEIPZIG PLAYS IT AND HE NEEDS TO PLAY IT TOO!). Sacha isn't a winger. He's a distributor. He needs to play where his strength lies, which is the 10.

Well, to be honest it's proven to be a very smart move by Marsch (despite a lot of people around here disagreeing) to play Sacha higher up.  He was great at it and hit crazy assist numbers.  In my opinion, his mobility is a bigger liability this year both because he looks slower (which is why the team was smart to trade Dax as well) and the formation change.

But yeah, what you say is exactly right... It doesn't fit our team because our best player is no longer our best player and that's a problem.  Also agree that they aren't going to be taking Davis or Felipe off the field.

That makes me think the smartest move may be to move Felipe up, and Sacha back. Just suits the formation better. And Sacha won't hit his usual assist numbers, but he will still create offense from being deeper.

----Gulbrandsen--BWP

Royer--------------Felipe

------Davis---Sacha

Taxi Long Collin Zizzo

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Well, to be honest it's proven to be a very smart move by Marsch (despite a lot of people around here disagreeing) to play Sacha higher up.  He was great at it and hit crazy assist numbers.  In my opinion, his mobility is a bigger liability this year both because he looks slower (which is why the team was smart to trade Dax as well) and the formation change.

But yeah, what you say is exactly right... It doesn't fit our team because our best player is no longer our best player and that's a problem.  Also agree that they aren't going to be taking Davis or Felipe off the field.

That makes me think the smartest move may be to move Felipe up, and Sacha back. Just suits the formation better. And Sacha won't hit his usual assist numbers, but he will still create offense from being deeper.

----Gulbrandsen--BWP
Royer--------------Felipe
------Davis---Sacha
Taxi Long Collin Zizzo

Sacha is a huge defensive liability. He doesn't track back and half asses tackles. So the solution is to...Put him even closer to our defense and give him more defensive responsibilities??

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Sacha is a huge defensive liability. He doesn't track back and half asses tackles. So the solution is to...Put him even closer to our defense and give him more defensive responsibilities??

Sacha is only a liability because his quickness doesn't allow him to be the best ball winner and cover enough ground. That isn't as big a factor next to Felipe or Davis.  He's played deep before successfully and would do so again.

I like the idea of moving him to one of those two spots because those two positions are more about thinking than anything. Sacha's mind is above everyone's on the field. At least everyone we have anyway.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Playing him anywhere but the #10 in a 4-2-3-1 is a liability. We have the assets to play the 4-2-3-1 and are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with a 4-2-2-2. 

It's sad that we even think Austria wants to play the formation + our loanee and that's why we are doing it (I'm inclined to agree). 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Playing him anywhere but the #10 in a 4-2-3-1 is a liability. We have the assets to play the 4-2-3-1 and are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with a 4-2-2-2. 

It's sad that we even think Austria wants to play the formation + our loanee and that's why we are doing it (I'm inclined to agree). 

Who are the wingers in the 4-2-3-1? Royer and ????

You can play Grella or Muyl, and then whoever we meet in the playoffs will show how useless they both are against a bunker and counter gameplan.

4-2-2-2 isn't working, but we haven't looked good in the 4-2-3-1 in the playoffs. I take that back, it looked ok in the playoffs when Veron played. But Jesse, for some reason, doesn't think a guy with great speed is as good on the wing as Mike or Alex.

Gulfbrandsen maybe? It looks like he has the speed/work rate that could work.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
I'm a fan of Sacha's, but if all his problems are because of the formation, imagine how much better we'd be if we had a #10 that didn't need to be an exact specific spot to not be utter shit.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

Wondo? Conor Casey owns Honduras!

http://www.starsands...rld-cup-preview

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

He was also poor in the playoffs in the 4-2-3-1. The formation is not the issue. He is very off.  

MetroCab

MetroCab

Brilliant!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

He was also poor in the playoffs in the 4-2-3-1. The formation is not the issue. He is very off.  

True but, that seems to happen to almost all of our players in the playoffs.

The formation is definitely a large portion of the issue, for him and the team as a whole. Kljestan is out of place, BWP is not linking up with him, our outside backs aren't good enough going forward to make it work, etc.  And how many of Seattle's attacks came from switching the field and playing wide? We're so narrow in this formation.

To me we need to go 4-2-3-1 immediately. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

True but, that seems to happen to almost all of our players in the playoffs.. 

I think this is THE REASON Marsch is trying something different, even if it means struggling to start the REGULAR SEASON.  The last two years Sacha and the team were great in the 4-2-3-1 until the playoffs when teams focused on shutting him down.

Not saying the 4-2-2-2 is the answer, but maybe Marsch is OK with playing Sacha out of position and having him and the team struggle a little so that we don't lose the same way we did the last two years.  Maybe he wants us to lose an entirely new way in the playoffs this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users