• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Apparently Luis said that at first he was unsighted, then the ball deflected. I have seen many keepers left flat-footed by deflections. They may have been fooled by the shot. They are not fools.

True, should have given him the benefit of the doubt but damn, it's rough seeing any shot from that far away go in.  And it's not like any deflection happened far inside the 18 either. Just frustrating. 

There are only 3 keepers in the league who get paid more than Robles so it's fair to expect a lot from him.

Going by one xG model for keepers, Robles is having a good year being just outside the top 10. Rimando the best so far this season.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Apparently Luis said that at first he was unsighted, then the ball deflected. I have seen many keepers left flat-footed by deflections. They may have been fooled by the shot. They are not fools.

He confirmed in his post game comments that the shot took a deflection off Parker, which was tough to see with the low quality stream.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the shot took a deflection off Parker

Blame Parker!!!! Argh!!!! He is the worst ever!!!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Blame Parker!!!! Argh!!!! He is the worst ever!!!

Maybe hell go to Europe soon and be someone elses problem!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Boy, that Poland goalkeeper looks like a fool!
(Ignore the deflected own goal & backpass fiasco.)

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
People are (probably rightfully) making fun of the title of this thread, but Robles has clearly taken a step back from a couple years ago.

Hes dropped from a top 3 keeper in the league to probably somewhere between 5-10. Its not out of the question to start looking at whether he should be an automatic starter anymore.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

People are (probably rightfully) making fun of the title of this thread, but Robles has clearly taken a step back from a couple years ago.

Hes dropped from a top 3 keeper in the league to probably somewhere between 5-10. Its not out of the question to start looking at whether he should be an automatic starter anymore.

Just out of curiosity, which guys would you take over Robles? 

I'd probably say I'd take Steffen  given his younger age and athleticism. Bono has gotten national team call ups but I wouldn't say he better than Robles, he's certainly not as consistent as Robles. I'll give you Rimando and maybe Frei and Melia? Other than them Robles is still head and shoulders above most of the rest of the league. 

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Just out of curiosity, which guys would you take over Robles? 

I'd probably say I'd take Steffen  given his younger age and athleticism. Bono has gotten national team call ups but I wouldn't say he better than Robles, he's certainly not as consistent as Robles. I'll give you Rimando and maybe Frei and Melia? Other than them Robles is still head and shoulders above most of the rest of the league. 

Blake

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

I actually think he's been spectacular this year. Tijuana anyone. He's made more great saves this year than in past seasons.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I actually think he's been spectacular this year. Tijuana anyone. He's made more great saves this year than in past seasons.

Keepers are among the players most difficult to "eyeball."    Guys like Bouna would make one extraordinary save after the next, but had terrible positioning, distribution, decision making,  and leadership of the defense.   Those things are really hard to see, especially if you yourself were not a fairly experienced keeper.     The best keepers get frozen or or mistime things occasionally, but those things stand out much more than the other parts of the game that matter more.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

he's been spectacular this year ... more great saves

RB is T3 in MLS in Goals Against:
https://www.mlssocce...-shield?sort=ga
T2 in Goal For, T1 in GD.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

RB is T3 in MLS in Goals Against:
https://www.mlssocce...-shield?sort=ga
T2 in Goal For, T1 in GD.

We did sign Parker this offseason

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I like looking at the xG analytics to rate keepers.  Goals against and differential are bigger measures of the team.  Robles has been pretty good this year and he's right around #10 in that.

https://www.american...keeper-xg-2018/

Rimando number 1.  The revs keeper and Gonzalez with Dallas also having great years.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

https://www.american...keeper-xg-2018/
Rimando number 1.  The revs keeper and Gonzalez with Dallas also having great years.

Nick GA is 28 in 1,444 minutes; 1.75 per game.
Luis GA is 12 in 965 minutes; 1.12 per game.
JesseG (FCD) .68, Turner (Revs) 1.19.
This says Robles GA is 13 in 990 minutes:
https://www.foxsport...=10&sortOrder=0
Which would be 1.18 average per game.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

Willy Caballero looked like a fool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users