422 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

We've usually come into the playoffs as a higher seed/host/Shield winner with high expectations and flamed out. I'd always wonder to myself what if we one year we just barely limped into the playoffs without any pressure or expectations and see if we could go on some sort of crazy miracle run. Well here we are. Let's do this! 

2011 vs the Galaxy, lowest seed to make the playoffs vs the shield winner...didn't end well then either for us.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I really don't understand MLS. There is a finite amount of scenarios heading into "Decision Day". Can't they just let us know the day and time already?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

I really don't understand MLS. There is a finite amount of scenarios heading into "Decision Day". Can't they just let us know the day and time already?

There's baseball and football games to worry about I guess...

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
October 20th at 3pm confirmed

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

2011 vs the Galaxy, lowest seed to make the playoffs vs the shield winner...didn't end well then either for us.

Think 2008, not 2011. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

October 20th at 3pm confirmed

Positive: will know result of ATL-NE prior to our game.
Negative: one less day of rest, if we win.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
We had talked about this when they released the playoff format that the NFL needed 72 hours before a game to get the field ready but Atlanta hosts New England at 3pm the day before the Atlanta Falcons have a game at 1pm.

If they can do that there's really no excuse that all these games after the first round couldn't have been on the weekend to begin with. I know tv ratings blah blah blah but the tv ratings on the weekdays will be going up against baseball playoffs and other stuff anyway so it's not like the weekday ratings are going to be that much better anyway.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Since the playoff loss to Atlanta its been 10 months of funk. Bombing in CCL, Scandinavian teenager for rb2, us open, home losses, BWP decline, etc. add to it Fucking tarps. Sippy cup red member gifts and Ole Gunnar Armas coaching. I missed $1 hot dog night.

Still anything can happen. We can definitely win down there if the keystone cops defense takes a day off.

Excellence Not Expectations

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Kaku > Rza. Muyl off the bench early - he's been fired up about not starting and will be raring to go. Hopefully Duncan is healthy, but if not 100%, definitely start Murillo and not Buck or Lade.

Backline and Robles need to be perfect if we're to progress, today was a nightmare.

If he duncan is not healthy...

And we have to play murillo, lade or muyl in the back thans rbny nEeds to play with 5 defenders

Muyl...............murillo
...Long..Taxi..Parker

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

If he duncan is not healthy...

If Duncan cant go I want Muyl in that spot.

I. dont care that it isnt his position or that hes barely played there. Hes a better soccer player than Buckmaster and doesnt go on vacation like Murillo. If we lose the game he will die on the field trying and quite honestly thats all I want from these guys at this point.

His skill set fits an outside back. I cant for the life of me understand why no one has ever converted him.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Muyl ... skill set fits an outside back. I cant for the life of me understand why no one has ever converted him.

No one else has your analytical insight & foresight.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

So, I was thinking about this on the walk into work this morning.

In 2008, we had an unbelievably mediocre season and make the playoffs by the skin of our teeth. But then we go on this crazy run and end up in the Cup final - with the opportunity to win our first ever silverware. On one hand, LA was the absolute time of my life. In terms of all time moments as a supporter of this team, I'd put it right up there, if not #1.

On the other hand, I said heading out there that if we didn't win that game, the Cup run would have been the worst thing that could have happened. We knew the manager had to go and that the players truly weren't good enough to compete - another year of JCO and a reinforced belief to ownership that this squad could compete would be disastrous. Well, 2009. We all know the story.

I think there is a fundamental sameness to this situation but the stakes are now higher. Regardless of where you place the "majority" of the blame, Armas holds a decent amount of it. This has to be his last season. But ownership needs to step up their game big time if they ever want to compete again seriously. The last 2 Cups have been won by teams that have ownership groups willing to drop serious $$ in into the first team. We look well on our way to it being a 3rd year in a row. This is a new phenomenon in MLS . Shep was right last night when he said look at the names on the Golden Boot list and look at what RBNY are relying on. MLS has changed - and if we don't start investing in the first team shortly, I fear it will be difficult to catch up to those that have (and what I mean by this, look at the $$ Almiron generates and how that's a positive cycle for ATL). 

So, it's a weird spot. Fundamentally, I do not think this team is good enough to win it all. Not by a long shot. We beat Philly (this seems entirely plausible) and we go to ATL. Do I expect to win there? Very much no. So, we get by them - then it's (most likely) @ NYC....then at LA? 

But what stage do we get to in the playoffs where ownership stays complacent? What's better for us in the long run? I finally, finally see a majority of people realizing what many of us have for years - that this ownership group is not fucking good enough and calling them out for it. 

I'll never want this team to lose, I want to win the Cup - but I fear any sort of run and people will let these fuckers off the hook. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Philly has cooled off lately -- Przy left with an injury yesterday in warmups, Montiero isn't as explosive as he was earlier in the year and Fabian is struggling to make the field.

Yet I can't get past how weak Red Bulls strikers are going into the playoffs. White is decent but just came back from injury, so you can't really rely on him. BWP I thought would have done more in the minutes he has gotten. Barlow is too raw and shouldn't see any minutes in this game.

Confidence-wise I'd rank Red Bull last in terms of strikers amongst the eastern playoff teams. DC's striker form has been pretty bad as well I think, yet not as bad as Red Bull.

I just don't see how this team is going to score goals when all three strikers are guaranteed duds going into the most important game of the year so far.

Maybe put Royer or Kaku up front? It's really dire.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Philly has cooled off lately -- Przy left with an injury yesterday in warmups, Montiero isn't as explosive as he was earlier in the year and Fabian is struggling to make the field.

Yet I can't get past how weak Red Bulls strikers are going into the playoffs. White is decent but just came back from injury, so you can't really rely on him. BWP I thought would have done more in the minutes he has gotten. Barlow is too raw and shouldn't see any minutes in this game.

Confidence-wise I'd rank Red Bull last in terms of strikers amongst the eastern playoff teams. DC's striker form has been pretty bad as well I think, yet not as bad as Red Bull.

I just don't see how this team is going to score goals when all three strikers are guaranteed duds going into the most important game of the year so far.

Maybe put Royer or Kaku up front? It's really dire.

this is a problem and Royer has been quite cool as a late. If the D can say Montreal was an anamoly and they bring it - then offensive production is the concern.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

No one else has your analytical insight & foresight.

Im a rare bird. A bit of a dodo if you will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users