Vuolo and Meara as our keepers

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you OK with Vuolo and Meara as our keepers? (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you OK with Vuolo and Meara as our keepers?

1. Yeah, it's OK (44 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, it's terrible (6 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

3. Whatever (14 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

4. I don't believe Backe and they're going to sign an old German or something (24 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
So keeper was apparently a huge problem for us last year, and we ended up dropping all our goalkeepers. Then instead of signing an established keeper, we got Ryan Meara (74 games for Fordham University) in the draft and signed Jeremy Vuolo (16 games at Syracuse and 24 games at AC Oulu in the Finnish 2nd Division).

Apparently no further keeper signings are forthcoming and Backe says he is content to start the season with these two highly inexperienced players. How do you feel?

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro
A keeper is only as good as the defense in front of him. If Vuolo and Meara can organise the defense and that defense plays well we should be OK.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
At this point, Backe HAS to say he is content with these two. It looks like we'll probably need them to at least until the summer trade window opens. It would be a huge gift if they can cover the position.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Foz

Foz

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Supports:RBNY & USMNT
As long as we can pick one and stick with him for the season. Don't want another Sutton/Bouna situation...

Thierry Henry, on secret to team's success: “Win games. And score more goals than the opponent.”

------------------------------

єяι¢ αℓєχαη∂єя = g.σ.α.т.

------------------------------

grillcheesy

grillcheesy

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Supports:US, Red Bulls, Yankees
They seem to have high hopes for these guys and its nice to see Hans has faith in anyone. It also frees up a salary for another position player. :cheers:

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

As long as we can pick one and stick with him for the season. Don't want another Sutton/Bouna situation...

Also don't want a situation where the coach puts an incompetent defender in front of the goalkeeper because that said player's dad is the coach's mentor. See Kenny Arena in front of Timmy Howard.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

They seem to have high hopes for these guys and its nice to see Hans has faith in anyone. It also frees up a salary for another position player. :cheers:

Exactly... Salary cap sports are about finding cheap options at certain positions so you can use that money at other spots.

If Vuolo or Meara can give us decent production at the GK spot, we really luck out.

In the highlights of the Merida game, there was one save that was absolutely excellent. Couldn't tell who the keeper was but if it was the first half then clearly it was Vuolo. Just thought it was a great save.

Soler seemed like he was holding back big time about the praise he wanted to heap on Meara during that interview with extra time. Seemed like he thought that they really may have got something special.

Would be great too if these two guys ended up working out and being our keepers for a long time. Great position to have an american at and continuity is extremely important as well.

AHighBlackman

AHighBlackman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Supports: Metro! - USMNT -
They can't be as bad as Danny Cepero, no disrespect.
  •    Starting 11
  • ------ BWP ---------
  •   ------ SK ---------
  • - Grella ------ L.Sam ---
  • ----- Felipe - Dax ---------
  • Kemar -------------  Duvall
  •      Damien - M&M

Blood Diamond

4 - 3 - 3

4 - 2 - 3 - 1

@RaceCardUser

Instagram: blackmanjustin

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars
If by "whatever," you mean "haven't seen enough of either of them to formulate an opinion one way or the other," then that's my vote.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

They can't be as bad as Danny Cepero, no disrespect.

So you'll think they will score 2 goals?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If by "whatever," you mean "haven't seen enough of either of them to formulate an opinion one way or the other," then that's my vote.

Since when has that sort of thing ever held someone here back from having an opinion?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

AHighBlackman

AHighBlackman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Supports: Metro! - USMNT -

So you'll think they will score 2 goals?

I guarantee one of them will get a goal against Philly or DC this year.
  •    Starting 11
  • ------ BWP ---------
  •   ------ SK ---------
  • - Grella ------ L.Sam ---
  • ----- Felipe - Dax ---------
  • Kemar -------------  Duvall
  •      Damien - M&M

Blood Diamond

4 - 3 - 3

4 - 2 - 3 - 1

@RaceCardUser

Instagram: blackmanjustin

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
I'm ok with it. It can't be worse than the roller coaster tandem that Sutton and Bouna gave us. Rost was ok, but nothing special, and certainly not for the money. As some point we will need to accept a younger developing player in the starting lineup at different positions around the field, even at keeper. I think our defense has a good chance to be better this year, so possibly keeper is a spot we can work on developing the next big star.

Also you have to go off the the available market for keepers is, which seems pretty thin anyway.

Rob Money

Rob Money

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Like Ballouchy?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
will we even get a 3rd keeper?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users