187 replies to this topic

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

Watching last night it seemed like deja vu  all over again. It seems like teams have our game plan figured out. They clog up the defensive area leaving us no way to score.The team hasn't found ways to break down teams that hunker down in defensive area. A new game plan is needed or it will be a long season and Marsch being released.

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

If Ali comes out and says he has no plans on upgrading the team this summer  with a major signing or two and will see this through then yes....press the panic button and immediately induce vomiting.

5 year plan

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Watching last night it seemed like deja vu  all over again. It seems like teams have our game plan figured out. They clog up the defensive area leaving us no way to score.The team hasn't found ways to break down teams that hunker down in defensive area. A new game plan is needed or it will be a long season and Marsch being released.

"Teams have figured us out" is rationalizing after the fact after last night. We had numerous clear chances. Hit the post, missed a penalty, had multiple 1v1s saved.

Feel free to panic because we can't finish or because our defense is missing multiple starters. On the evidence of last night, creating chances isn't even close to being our biggest problem. It may have been in the first couple of games but I'm less worried about it now.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

"Teams have figured us out" is rationalizing after the fact after last night. We had numerous clear chances. Hit the post, missed a penalty, had multiple 1v1s saved.

Feel free to panic because we can't finish or because our defense is missing multiple starters. On the evidence of last night, creating chances isn't even close to being our biggest problem. It may have been in the first couple of games but I'm less worried about it now.

Teams HAVE figured us out.

This offensive slump extended way into last season too. They couldn't score at all in the playoffs and in the games leading up to them.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
I don't think it's that teams are "figuring us out ". We are getting chances. I don't know how many shots on goal we got yesterday but I'm sure it was decent amount. It's just that we aren't finishing it. Add to the fact that a good portion of our starting line up is out because of injury does not help out either . Guys are playing out of position and it's showing on the field . I think it's too early to hit the panic button but if we come out of the west coast trip with no points and still have injuries, then I think you start to worry but let's give em time. As far as summer signings I think they know they need to bring people in. I'll be surprised if they don't tbh.

LONG LIVE METRO

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Are we that reliant on Veron? Team looked fantastic with him all preseason, and really good for the spell he was in with Houston. Without him....

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If they "figured us out" we wouldn't be getting a sniff at goal. We created a ton of chances vs KC. BWP couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. We created so many clear cut chances that should have been goals. KC capitalized on two horrible plays by our crap center backs. That's so Metro. 

Having said that we are 1 and 4 and the only thing saving us is that this is MLS and things can change drastically and we just need to find a way to get into the playoffs. But we are in a terrible rut that we haven't been in for a long time. 4 shutouts in 5 games. 2 of 3 homes games dropped. That's just awful. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I wouldn't panic, because there are a lot of injuries on defense and we are getting lots of looks at goal. Things will shake out. It's just really painful right now.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

I haven't felt such apathy towards this teams games since 2009. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
This team is far better than the 2009 team.

The 1999 team? Great striker in 98 in Hurtado, who couldn't score in 99, lack of a solid CB with Petke - used Walsh, Semioli, and Arley Palacios out of position there, and then reinforcements that came too late in the form of Lawrence Lozzano, Henry Zambrano, Sasa Curcic and Mohammed Khakpour.

I know Marsch isn't Bora Milutinovic, but lack of needed transactions by Ali Curtis has reminded me of Charlie Stillitano.

The fact that a natural CB in Carroll isn't used and Okugo is still on trial, but was listed on the USL team roster (removed this morning) is disturbing. Duvall clearly isn't the answer and Zubar is good for at least one mistake a game.

I am all for less roster turnover year over year, but every team has spent money to improve and we got Baah and kids who cant get onto the field. Baah and Muyl are the only 2 new players used this year and Muyl was only put in with 10 minutes to go, down 2-0, looking at a 4th shutout in 5 games and a lacking 5-6 other options.

It's going to be a long season until management realizes that this team has lost a step since last season and the competition has improved.

Buckle up folks.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

This offensive slump extended way into last season too. They couldn't score at all in the playoffs and in the games leading up to them.

Maybe they have. Definitely the playoffs were painful offensively, and so were the first two games this season. I am not sure if the main factor was being "figured out" or tiredness or poor execution. I think the latter two were more important; you are free to disagree and go with the former.

My main point is that last night's game went completely contrary to the "figured out" narrative. We created buckets of chances, just couldn't finish at all.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If they "figured us out" we wouldn't be getting a sniff at goal. We created a ton of chances vs KC. BWP couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. We created so many clear cut chances that should have been goals. KC capitalized on two horrible plays by our crap center backs. That's so Metro. 

Having said that we are 1 and 4 and the only thing saving us is that this is MLS and things can change drastically and we just need to find a way to get into the playoffs. But we are in a terrible rut that we haven't been in for a long time. 4 shutouts in 5 games. 2 of 3 homes games dropped. That's just awful. 

don't forget that grella shot at the keeper, then yelled at a KC player for diving...he should've finished the fucking chance. after all grella got a fucking raise in the offseason. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Grella also ran into BWP three times in the box this season leading to a awful shot or no shot on goal. 

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

As I wrote before: If we were so figured out by the end of the season last year, it isn't explained by the data. We went 4-1 in our final 5 MLS games and if you include the playoffs we ended the season 7 wins in 9 games, not too shabby. In the playoffs, we were 3-1. 

Exactly what do you mean by "slump extended way into last season"? Here is every game since Aug 1., all comps.:

Metro Other     3 1 W   1 1 T   2 0 W   3 0 W   2 3 L   3 0 W   3 2 W   1 2 L   2 0 W   2 5 L   2 1 W   2 1 W   1 2 L   4 1 W   2 1 W   1 0 W   1 0 W   0 2 L   1 0 W Total 36 GF 22 GA   G/gm. 1.894737 1.157895  

Yes we "only" scored 3 goals in 4 playoff games, but we only gave up 2 goals in 4 games as well.

We outscored our opponents by 63% in the last 19 games of the season. We scored 64 goals (lead the league) in 32 games, an average of 1.82 goals per game. In our last 19 games- incl. the playoffs- we were at 1.89. So, we were over our season average in the last 4 months of the season. Whatever you want to say, our scoring "slump" did not extend way into last season. 

Listen, we can't score right now. It blows hot donkey balls, and it feels awful. But let's not drag 2015 into this; or, if we are going to, let's use accurate data. 

We had 22 shots last night, which is enough to score 2 goals or kill Keith Moon, either way.  We have a finishing problem; we're 7th in the league on shots on goal per game, so our offense is generating enough chances to argue against this narrative of the "League has figured us out".

If you want to say last night is an outlier, ok, but we had 15 shots on the road vs. New England, including being down a man. I don't know how you'd argue that NE figured us out by getting outshot 15-10 at home, up a man. 

I understand that shots per game seem meaningless when you aren't scoring, but if your narrative is "teams bunker against us and we suck", in a quick pass at some very elementary stats, I can't say I agree.

If Davis' shot goes in off the post and Sacha take the PK, everyone would be saying "our offense looked fine last night, but our defense sucks".

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

The figured out narrative pretty much only stems from the adjustments Columbus made to make our offense look really week in the playoffs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users